Zero line staff

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
zutzutriot

Zero line staff

Post by zutzutriot » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm

I am looking to make a zero line staff so that I can make pages look like the early part of a piano method, where the notation only has fingerings and suggests direction, rather than specific notes.

The closest I can get to that is a single line percussion staff, or deleting the staff all together, but then I can't input notes. Anyone have any ideas?

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: Zero line staff

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:13 am

Welcome to the forum, zutzutriot. At the moment there's no good way to produce an instrument with a zero-line staff, I'm afraid.

Lillie Harris
Steinberg Employee

Post by Lillie Harris » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 am

Although you can't do this within Dorico, a user shared an XML file in the Dorico Facebook group that contains an instrument set up not to show staff lines - it's in the Files section of the group, and it's called "0line.musicxml". If you search "0line" in the Facebook group you'll find some explanatory comments :)

zutzutriot

Post by zutzutriot » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:39 pm

I tried 0line but the problem is I need it to be within an existing document, and you can't export it into anything :(

Rob Tuley
Grand Senior Member

Post by Rob Tuley » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:57 pm

If you import 0line.xml as a new flow in your existing document, you will have the instrument added to your project. Then you can add it to the other flow(s) in Setup Mode, and finally delete the imported flow.

FredGUnn

Post by FredGUnn » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:08 am

This isn't gonna be officially supported, but take an instrument you never use, and hack the instruments.xml file that can be found in Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 3. Make a backup first, but just change the line for "numStafflLines" to 0 and it will work for that instrument too.
Dorico Pro 3.1, Finale v26, The Grand 3, HALion 6, GPO, JABB, World Instruments, NotePerformer
Windows 10 - Desktop: i9-9900K, 64GB, UA Apollo Twin MKII QUAD - Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth, i7-7500U, 16GB, Audient iD14

zutzutriot

Post by zutzutriot » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:56 pm

FredGUnn wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:08 am
This isn't gonna be officially supported, but take an instrument you never use, and hack the instruments.xml file that can be found in Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 3. Make a backup first, but just change the line for "numStafflLines" to 0 and it will work for that instrument too.
this worked like an absolute dream; thank you!

Return to “Dorico”