Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Dewdman42

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:28 pm

cparmerlee wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Is it possible to have two of these Stream Decks installed and active on the same computer?
Yes
5,1 MacPro 12coreX 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, OSX 10.14, RX580 video, Cubase10, LogicPro, DP, StudioOne, VEP, Reaper, Dorico, NotePerformer, Finale, MuseScore, Notion, etc...

Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:39 pm

I haven’t got a stream deck yet but will eventually most likely. I see the main advantage being no need to memorize anything. Dorico is a program that pretty much requires you to use key commands. They are not really optional shortcuts. So the stream deck removes the need to memorize them. I might get one for my senior Mom who can’t remember stuff like that.

For myself I plan to memorize the dorico key commands anyway, but one thing I don’t like is that an awful lot of the keys needed are key-combinations, which I find dreadfully difficult to memorize: wait was that option s or command s I can’t remember now. Also I wish I could sit at the computer with my fingers on the keyboard and just start typing music like a typewriter. I think that can be done now but some of the key combinations make it kind of klunky and I personally have to look down to find some of the modifier keys. So at some point I am going to try to change some of the key commands so that all the important stuff can be done with either a single key or at most with the shift modifier, which is still in line with a QWERTY typewriter.

At that point I’d rather work without a stream deck. But between now and then is a good time to have buttons with pictures on them.

I could also see it as a useful place to put custom macro buttons
5,1 MacPro 12coreX 3.46ghz, 128gb ram, OSX 10.14, RX580 video, Cubase10, LogicPro, DP, StudioOne, VEP, Reaper, Dorico, NotePerformer, Finale, MuseScore, Notion, etc...

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm

David: See my reply to Andre above. Some commands are not achievable through a shortcut. One key press gives me an added interval below a note, or a finger number that advances to the next note. Or one key press to move all selected notes into voice 1.

Of course there are plenty of functions that can be expressed through a single combination on the regular keyboard. And I do use quite a few of these. For example, “remove rest” for me is Ctrl-Shift-R. But it gets quite taxing to remember tons and tons of key combinations. As I said to Andre, I find it much easier on the brain to be able to see exactly the key that will execute the function I want, and press it. The process of composing for me is very laborious and taxing on my mind, so the last thing I want is to also have to remember some three dozen custom key commands. Instead, I have a mix of “native” commands and convenient macros. Your mileage may vary.
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dorico 3; Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

davidhicken

Post by davidhicken » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Partitur wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm
David: no problem memorizing the standard key commands, but the use of the stream deck is simply quicker.
For example: Downbow:
shift+p
type: downbow
return
return

= 11 keyclicks.
Even if you define the popup for downbow with a smaller number of letters eg »db« = 6 keyclicks:
on stream deck you need only one keyclick ...

I think you might have just sold me on this device :)
Dorico Pro 2.1
MacBook Pro 2017 3.1GHz 16GB
Mac Pro 2012 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core 64GB
OS X 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Haha, that’s the first reason I bought it!! One key press for bowings!
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 pm

dankreider wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm
The process of composing for me is very laborious and taxing on my mind, so the last thing I want is to also have to remember some three dozen custom key commands. Instead, I have a mix of “native” commands and convenient macros. Your mileage may vary.
This is an important statement that I hope Daniel and crew will take to heart while conceiving new features for Dorico. Free our mind for composing!

Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm

davidhicken wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:40 pm
Partitur wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm
David: no problem memorizing the standard key commands, but the use of the stream deck is simply quicker.
For example: Downbow:
shift+p
type: downbow
return
return

= 11 keyclicks.
Even if you define the popup for downbow with a smaller number of letters eg »db« = 6 keyclicks:
on stream deck you need only one keyclick ...

I think you might have just sold me on this device :)
Yea the above example is an excellent reason. Me too.

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:47 pm
dankreider wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm
The process of composing for me is very laborious and taxing on my mind, so the last thing I want is to also have to remember some three dozen custom key commands. Instead, I have a mix of “native” commands and convenient macros. Your mileage may vary.
This is an important statement that I hope Daniel and crew will take to heart while conceiving new features for Dorico. Free our mind for composing!
Without wanting to sound like I’m contradicting myself, I do fully support the UX philosophy behind Dorico key commands. There’s no way around it: functionality requires process. The point is that we can customize as needed. And if users want to point and click, they can.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 pm

I wasn't referring to key commands specifically...actually I do think their key command approach is good, I just wish more of them were not using modifiers! But rather just a general statement...anything they can do to relieve brain cells from computer tasks so that we can focus on the music...
Last edited by Dewdman42 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dewdman42

Post by Dewdman42 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:29 pm

and actually some of the music tasks too... For example, they are already doing a LOT, perhaps more than any other notational as far as I can see, to automatically nudge symbols around into the right place, even as you change things, change meters, etc.. re-tie notes appropriately, basically make sure that everything looks as it is supposed to according to the vast array of engraver preferences they have given us to dictate the rules of doing so. That alone frees my mind from even have to think about stuff like that, I just write music.

Another area I'd love to see is chord analysis auto updating the chord track or whatever, something like that..

I'm sure they will think of more..my comment was just a gentle nudge in response to your comment about the mentally tasking aspect of composing music..and it is...and every millisecond we have to divert our brain to some non-musical or menial aspect of the process hinders the musical creative flow.

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Totally agree. On a related note, composing is much more enjoyable in Dorico than it ever was in Finale! I’ve wondered if it was just that “new car smell,” and waited for it to wear off...

Two months later... Nope. It’s the program.

For composing, probably the single biggest difference is that once I enter a note, I can do so much with it. I can move it up or down, I can double its value (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Left arrow, or the reverse), whatever.

Ok, I’ll stop. Haha.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

davidhicken

Post by davidhicken » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm

I have now ordered one of these, so thanks to Dan for posting about this product!
Dorico Pro 2.1
OS X 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm

David: great! Would love for you to post a pic when you start to settle into using it.
leigh_d wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:01 am
I'm expecting mine tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing the icons and the little video of your setup. It's given me a great start!

**Leigh
Leigh, how is it working for you?

I find I’m using hotkeys for intervals above and below ALL THE TIME. Also, the 2:3 tuplet.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

gerrie

Post by gerrie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:42 pm

For those people who, like me, use Windows 7 I think I should mention here that the Stream Deck doesn't work on their system. Windows 10 is required!

davidhicken

Post by davidhicken » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:02 am

I received my Stream Deck today, and I can't believe how much easier it makes many tasks. It's actually far more useful than I had imagined, and I'm sure that most Dorico users would benefit from having one.

My absolute favorite is the ease with which I can now enter fingering (thanks to Dan Kreider for providing his template and icons). I also created a folder which includes all of the options such as engraving, layout etc. It's nice to have buttons to hide or show signposts as well as voice colors, and I can now switch between treble and bass clefs with a single click.
Attachments
IMG_1402.jpg
(74.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_1401.jpg
(108.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dorico Pro 2.1
OS X 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 am

I'm glad to hear it's a benefit to you! I'm getting a second one... :-)
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

davidhicken

Post by davidhicken » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:06 am

dankreider wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 am
I'm glad to hear it's a benefit to you! I'm getting a second one... :-)
I'm using your articulation icons which are great. Any chance you can add the staccatissimo one if you have a chance? Thanks in advance!
Dorico Pro 2.1
OS X 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:15 am

Sure, just added it to the articulations folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seqqd4vx57y4 ... 2d1Ma?dl=0
Last edited by dankreider on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

davidhicken

Post by davidhicken » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:28 am

dankreider wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:15 am
Sure, just added it to the articulations folder (attached).
Thanks a lot Dan - much appreciated!
Dorico Pro 2.1
OS X 10.13.6

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:36 am

I've added several more functions, including editorial and trumpet fingerings.

Here's a screenshot of all the functions, grouped into folders. I find that's easier, because when I'm starting a new project, I can copy and paste to the top layer whatever macros are most useful. Sometimes it's bowings, sometimes fingerings, etc. It not only copies the icon, but all the multi-functions that go with it.

I just got the bowed score back from my principal 1st. To add her bowings to the Dorico file, all I had to do was navigate to the PT folder, and I zipped right through the score.

Attachments
all menus.png
(177.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:06 am

Great job Dan.
You convinced me too, I shall receive mine later this week!
[Edit] Received! Now I try to make it work ;-)
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:15 pm

MarcLarcher wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:06 am
Great job Dan.
You convinced me too, I shall receive mine later this week!
[Edit] Received! Now I try to make it work ;-)
Marc, when you're up and running, would you be willing to share your setup? Thanks.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Robby Poole

Post by Robby Poole » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 pm

You guys are making me want to get one.

Robby
Dorico Pro 3
Finale (since v2.2), Sibelius (v1.2 through 7.3),
Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Dan,
I took your setup to start me up, and noticed a couple of things that might be useful for everyone using this device :
• The shortcuts do not work out of the box. That might be related to the fact that Dan and I do not share the same OS, nor the same keyboard localization, nor the same keyboard shortcuts inside Dorico! I have not created any icon for Dorico myself, so I do not think sharing your setup corrected in mine would help anyone!
• I created a setup to work with Photoscore — it's easier to travel with the Stream deck than with a large keyboard with Numpad. If anybody's interested in my setup for this app, I'll share it gladly — I had to create all icons and it takes time ! Be aware that you'll probably have to correct all shortcuts in order to make them work in your setup.

Marc
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Ah yes, I wondered about this. Windows users should be fine.

Also, I realized belatedly that my Stream Deck is set to a combination of "native" Stream Deck multi-actions (created within Stream Deck itself) and some AutoHotKey scripts (which certainly WON'T work on Mac!).

But if anyone's considering it, rest assured it's quite easy to set up in minutes. You will probably want to just use my icons (or not, whatever), but create your own profile. Creating the icons takes time (if you want them to look nice), but actually programming the Stream Deck is quick!!
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Return to “Dorico”