Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
Post Reply
Mike 999
Junior Member
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Mike 999 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:51 am

Your studio looks great, Andre, and I agree about the coffee! I hope you enjoy the Stream Deck - it certainly seems to have gained popularity very quickly.
OS X 10.12.4, Intel i7 quad core, 16 GB RAM

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:59 am

The iOS stream deck looks good, but not all commands seem to work correctly. For example, I select a note, tap the tenuto button and in Dorico a marcato articulation is added. I did reset all the Key commands to their default (Reset Key Commands)ion Dorico because I read that Notation Express is using the Default Dorico shortcuts. Maybe someone knows why it doesn't work correctly?
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:20 pm

There are various issues here:
1. Notation Express assumes you’re running an english keyboard. If you’re not, you’ve got some work to do.
2. Notation Express comes with its own keycommands file - many of the shortcuts are NOT default Dorico shortcuts.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:28 pm

I’m running a Swedish keyboard, so I need to check that, but why would that make a difference? How is the keyboard involved when using the iPhone to the Mac? Or do you mean the iOS keyboard ? That is set to English.

So Notation express is not running correctly after installation? How do I know how and where to make changes?
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I’ve got to try and explain this briefly as I’ve got a concert in a few minutes:

1. Notation Express comes with a keycommands_en.jaon file that you drop into your Dorico user folder. I can’t remember whether you do this manually or it’s part of the installer - that’s Philip’s remit, not mine. For these shortcuts to be picked up by Dorico, Dorico’s key commands dialog needs to be set to use English.

2. What Stream Deck does is send keyboard shortcuts. When you run Stream Deck on a Mac whose keyboard language is set to anything other than English, Stream Deck automatically replaces all of its keyboard shortcuts with ones that it THINKS matches your connected keyboard. This is extremely unhelpful but there’s no easy way around it.

Either you need to cross reference Dorico’s keyboard commands against what Shortcuts the Stream Deck is sending, or you need to tell macOS that your keyboard is English (there’s a quick toggle to switch between two keyboard languages easily).
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:13 pm

pianoleo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:20 pm
There are various issues here:
1. Notation Express assumes you’re running an english keyboard. If you’re not, you’ve got some work to do.
2. Notation Express comes with its own keycommands file - many of the shortcuts are NOT default Dorico shortcuts.
According to the documentation that came with Notation Express:
The Notation Express profile is based on the default Dorico key commands, although many more have been added.

"When you run Stream Deck on a Mac whose keyboard language is set to anything other than English..."
Ah, I see. In that case I should be OK, it is set to English.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Yes, but if you’ve got a Swedish keyboard then presumably macOS thinks you’re running a Swedish keyboard, not an English one.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Philip R
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm

Andre, did you get it sorted?

It's a keycommands_en.json file that the Notation Express installer drops into your Library folder. If, as you said above, you Reset Key Commands on your own in Dorico, you should quit Dorico, run the Notation Express installer again (not the Stream Deck installer), and restart Dorico.

After doing that, and setting everything to English on your Mac and in Dorico, it should work. I'm sorry that Notation Express doesn't have a Swedish keyboards layout, although, as mentioned earlier, if you wish to use your Swedish keyboard you could certainly manually program anything that is different from the English one.

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Philip R wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Andre, did you get it sorted?

It's a keycommands_en.json file that the Notation Express installer drops into your Library folder. If, as you said above, you Reset Key Commands on your own in Dorico, you should quit Dorico, run the Notation Express installer again (not the Stream Deck installer), and restart Dorico.

After doing that, and setting everything to English on your Mac and in Dorico, it should work. I'm sorry that Notation Express doesn't have a Swedish keyboards layout, although, as mentioned earlier, if you wish to use your Swedish keyboard you could certainly manually program anything that is different from the English one.
Hi Philip,
Unfortunately still not. I did all the things you said and even restarted the Mac, but still the wrong articulations are showing, so i uninstalled everything and will do things from the start.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:56 pm

No luck still. I have set everything to English on my Mac and in the iPhone, reset all the key commands in Dorico, reinstalled the software, restarted the Mac but the result is the same. I will see if I can get it to work tomorrow.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by MarcLarcher » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm

Dear Andre,
I happened to build the french layout for Notation express, and I can confirm you that there are new shortcuts to create and some changes to make into Stream Deck configuration for it to work with another layout than the english one. Each button has to be carefully tested (Philip, I should send you an update, as some folks with my French file have noticed some problems on buttons I never use…) but once it works, it's great. I find everything is well thought-out and the icons are beautiful ;-)
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

Philip R
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Andre wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:56 pm
No luck still. I have set everything to English on my Mac and in the iPhone, reset all the key commands in Dorico, reinstalled the software, restarted the Mac but the result is the same. I will see if I can get it to work tomorrow.
Andre, if you open Dorico's Preferences and go to Key Commands, what do you see in Keyboard language? If you set it to English does it help?

Philip R
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:59 pm

MarcLarcher wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:25 pm
Dear Andre,
I happened to build the french layout for Notation express, and I can confirm you that there are new shortcuts to create and some changes to make into Stream Deck configuration for it to work with another layout than the english one. Each button has to be carefully tested (Philip, I should send you an update, as some folks with my French file have noticed some problems on buttons I never use…) but once it works, it's great. I find everything is well thought-out and the icons are beautiful ;-)
Thanks, Marc! I would welcome an update any time.

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Philip, the language settings in preferences are set to English, I always work in English.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Andre, go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources.

What's highlighted on the left hand side, on your computer?
Image

If it's anything apart from British or U.S. then everything I said earlier (in the post I'm quoting below) applies:
pianoleo wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:01 pm
1. Notation Express comes with a keycommands_en.json file that you drop into your Dorico user folder. I can’t remember whether you do this manually or it’s part of the installer - that’s Philip’s remit, not mine. For these shortcuts to be picked up by Dorico, Dorico’s key commands dialog needs to be set to use English.

2. What Stream Deck does is send keyboard shortcuts. When you run Stream Deck on a Mac whose keyboard language is set to anything other than English, Stream Deck automatically replaces all of its keyboard shortcuts with ones that it THINKS matches your connected keyboard. This is extremely unhelpful but there’s no easy way around it.

Either you need to cross reference Dorico’s keyboard commands against what Shortcuts the Stream Deck is sending, or you need to tell macOS that your keyboard is English (there’s a quick toggle to switch between two keyboard languages easily).
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:51 am

Hi Leo,
my settings are the same as in your screenshot:
Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 07.50.20.png
(177.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
If both are using the default Dorico settings, shouldn't the key shortcut be the same? I tried to make them the same, but even then it doesn't work:
Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 07.57.06.png
(89.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:08 am

The app doesn't connect anymore to my Mac, keeps on interrupting. Well, I gave it a try, but it takes too much of my time to use this and get it to work. I will use my my keyboard shortcuts instead. Thanks.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5946
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:17 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

Your settings are the same as in my screenshot, but your keyboard layout isn't. Look at this: yours is above, mine is below.

Image

When you say "I tried to make them the same", do you mean you've gone into the Stream Deck software, tried to assign the shortcut for tenuto to \, but when you've typed \ on your Swedish keyboard a ' appears? If so, it seems likely that Stream Deck is seeing the Swedish keyboard layout and getting confused.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Philip R
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Andre, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Could you try a U.S. keyboard layout to see if that makes a difference?

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Philip R wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Andre, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Could you try a U.S. keyboard layout to see if that makes a difference?
THAT made it work, finally! Thanks for that tip, Philip.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:11 pm

Ah yes, of course now most of my keyboard cannot be used for the normal typing any longer. It's a problem really. Looks like I will have to create my own shortcuts if I want to use Notation Express. I will see how this can be done when I have vacation :)
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

Philip R
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Philip R » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi Andre. Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of the problem, even as we created another one. :)

I wish I was able to support multiple languages/layouts officially. For now it's enough of a challenge getting everything working correctly on Windows and Mac, Dorico and Sibelius.

If you manage to get it working well with your native setup, please let us know.

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:10 am

I will see if I can adjust the shortcuts needed for a Swedish keyboard. In the mean time, where is the key signature change button? I cannot find it. I do see 2 empty spots though, are they supposed to be there?
Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 08.07.09.png
(107.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

User avatar
MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3322
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:38 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by MarcLarcher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:15 am

Nope, I have the same "holes", but… shift-K should work ;-)
I don't use the Stream Deck for such well thought after functions, I think the keyboard shortcuts are better (and if I don't have the Stream Deck with me, I still shall use them so…)
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

User avatar
Andre
Senior Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:49 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by Andre » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:38 am

Yes, I am so fast with my muscle memory that I wonder to be honest, how much I will use the app :) Although I like the shiny icons.
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

Post Reply

Return to “Dorico”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: András at Steinberg, PaulDXB and 11 guests