Stream Deck macro keypad

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Re: Stream Deck macro keypad

Post by pianoleo » Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm

I believe Philip uses Graphic: https://www.graphic.com/mac/
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 pm

LeifG wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:24 pm
Thank you, Leo. That’s very helpful. Could you reveal how you made the icons? In which program?
Leif,

I can't speak for Leo and Philip, but I made mine in pain.NET. You're welcome to pilfer anything from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seqqd4vx57y4 ... 2d1Ma?dl=0
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 pm

dankreider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 pm
but I made mine in pain.NET. You're welcome to pilfer anything from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seqqd4vx57y4 ... 2d1Ma?dl=0
Ah, you’re a Roman Catholic? :P
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Philip R

Post by Philip R » Tue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

Hi Leif. If you (or anyone else) could say what functions you'd find most useful I'd consider making a supplemental set. I already have one for Sibelius that I make available to Sibelius users. Although I must say Dan's are very lovely!

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue May 21, 2019 4:56 pm

pianoleo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:00 pm
dankreider wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:51 pm
but I made mine in pain.NET. You're welcome to pilfer anything from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/seqqd4vx57y4 ... 2d1Ma?dl=0
Ah, you’re a Roman Catholic? :P
Lol, Freudian slip.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

hpta

Post by hpta » Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 pm

I've discovered you can access icon files (e.g. in order to modify them) from a stream deck profile with 7-zip (on Windows)
So you open the profile file with it ... then in 7-Zip File Manager window select View->Flat View. Then select all image files and extract them somewhere and just choose auto-rename when a dialog appears.
amateur organist, pianist, choral singer

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm

By the way, has anyone heard about the Stream Deck XL? Apparently it’s 32 buttons (8x4) and about $300. I can’t find any purchasing info online, but someone said they purchased it at Best Buy in Texas.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

wcreed

Post by wcreed » Wed May 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Nothing mentioned on their website. Maybe he was talking about an X-Keys
Bill Reed
Dorico, Cubase, Overture, Sibelius, Finale, Notion
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed May 22, 2019 1:46 pm

There’s this...
Attachments
9646DA51-6D83-4BD2-BDB3-72D9623A3870.jpeg
(785.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

shr23

Post by shr23 » Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

is this better than having 2 of them ? (i don't have one, just curious)

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm

I would certainly trade in my two smaller ones for something like this. Stream Deck isn’t a very mobile prospect anyways. And I like the idea of being able to lay out a larger keyboard with only one USB device.

But point taken that it isn’t necessarily better than two smaller ones in many cases.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Wed May 22, 2019 11:36 pm

I must say I strongly disagree with you : when I'm not home, I'm not taking a little MIDI keyboard, but I'm always taking my stream deck with me, I can even use it (at it has great success around) in the train when I'm working on scores during the travels ;-)
OS X 10.13.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3, and Photoscore Ultimate)
French is my native language

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue May 28, 2019 3:30 am

Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

David W

Post by David W » Tue May 28, 2019 7:28 am

dankreider wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:30 am
Welp, here it is! https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck-xl
Stream Deck XL is available from amazon.co.uk on 11 June. I was considering buying the 5x3 Stream Deck, but will wait for Stream Deck XL as the larger number of keys will be useful for my uses (Dorico, also Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Cloud applications). The caption of one of the Amazon pictures says, in French(!), that it has a removable cable, which appears to be USB-C at the Stream Deck end. It has a removable non-folding stand that attaches with magnets. The unit itself is slightly tilted and the cable slot is recessed, so you can use it without the stand.

There is more detail in this YouTube video. The presenter mentions that the XL has higher resolution displays in the keys, which suggests graphics might need to be reworked.

I wonder if Stream Deck XL works with 5x3 Stream Deck profiles until such time as profiles are updated for the 8x4 layout.

This is the product I have been waiting for. I had considered buying a programmable keypad for my desk in the past, but decided the relative inflexibility even with the use of AutoHotKey didn't justify the cost. I toyed with the original Stream Deck, but 5x3 was really too small. 8x4 seems perfect for my uses.

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Tue May 28, 2019 10:11 am

Excellent - those extra buttons are really going to make things a lot easier. I find myself wondering whether this road doesn't ultimately lead to a Stream Deck keyboard..

It's a fair bit of money so before I dig deep into my wallet, have any users come experienced non-software faults with the Stream Deck? Keys sticking, not responding etc. Personally I haven't.
• MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6, Cubase 10

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 am

At last, the personal computing industry has caught up with what was available on mainframe graphics terminals back in the 1960s!

Except back then, the buttons were mechanical, and the "icons" were hand drawn on piece of card that slotted over the array of buttons - but it worked exactly the same way.

Touch sensitive screen and "stream deck" on the left of the terminal, 1969 vintage:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_2250# ... iv1969.jpg

Seriously though, it was a good user interface idea back then, and it still is.

David W

Post by David W » Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am

This German language video on Stream Deck XL shows a 5x3 profile being copied for use on Stream Deck XL - the bottom row and right three columns of keys are blank.

David Tee - there have been entire keyboards with OLED screens in the keys, notably including the Optimus products. I think many of the Optimus products didn't go beyond the concept stage, but a version of Optimus Maximus did. It was horrendously expensive (over £1000) and the technology of the time really wasn't up to the task - OLED screens have a limited life and can suffer burn-in, which was a particular problem for a keyboard that spent so much of its time showing static images. Reviewers complained of ergonomic issues with typing on flat glossy keytops and I believe there were key spacing issues with Optimus Maximus as well. As I recall it, the keys were slightly wider spaced than on a conventional full size keyboard, causing muscle memory and hand fatigue issues for touch typists. A touch typist will hold their fingers over the home keys and will often have their keyboard placed close to them at an angle where it is uncomfortably far down to look at the keys.

Were Optimus Maximus built today, it would undoubtedly be able to leverage improvements in the underlying technologies. However, my personal view is that macro / smart launching with interactive legends is better done by a Stream Deck (or perhaps Apple Touchbar - though that lacks the tactile feedback of button edges) like adjunct to a keyboard, not a replacement keyboard. A lot of the clever functionality of Stream Deck would be difficult to implement if the interactive buttons and keys of the keyboard were one and the same - how do you overload two functions sensibly onto the same buttons? I have not seen any hints that a new Optimus Maximus type product is going to be released, but maybe others have seen something.

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks David W and Rob - fascinating.
• MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6, Cubase 10

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue May 28, 2019 12:46 pm

David Tee wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:11 am
It's a fair bit of money so before I dig deep into my wallet, have any users come experienced non-software faults with the Stream Deck? Keys sticking, not responding etc. Personally I haven't.
I use it constantly and have never had an issue. It is really quite well built.

One thing that you do need to take into consideration is that you can’t fly as quickly through keypresses as you do on a regular computer keyboard. There’s a slight delay as it processes. Not an issue if you’re using it for macros, but it couldn’t yet replace your keyboard entirely.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm ticked because I just bought my stream deck 2 weeks ago. I would have waited and bought the XL had I known. arg. I'm tempted to buy it anyway although my wife would probably be ticked. Frankly, I'm finding it to be useful for so much more beyond Dorico... setting favorite shortcuts for each app that I use is a real time saver.
🎵 Full-time Church Musician, Organist, Composer, Choral Conductor
💾 Dorico 2.2, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro
🖥 iMac w/ 32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, Johannus 3m Organ Console

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Tue May 28, 2019 2:02 pm

Romanos401 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:55 pm
I'm ticked because I just bought my stream deck 2 weeks ago. I would have waited and bought the XL had I known.
You might be able to sell it here and recoup a hundred bucks.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Romanos401

Post by Romanos401 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm

I guess I shouldn't be too ticked; amazon says it might not ship for up to 3 more months.

I might end up taking the smaller one home and using the larger one at my office.
🎵 Full-time Church Musician, Organist, Composer, Choral Conductor
💾 Dorico 2.2, Noteperformer, Hauptwerk Advanced, On1, FinalCut Pro
🖥 iMac w/ 32gb ram, MacMini w/16gb ram, Stream Deck (& SDXL), SaffirePro40, NuForce uDAC
🎹 Alesis VI 61, Johannus 3m Organ Console

Rob Tuley

Post by Rob Tuley » Tue May 28, 2019 2:17 pm

David Tee wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:11 am
It's a fair bit of money …
Back in 1964 when the IBM terminal in my previous post was launched, the price tag was about $280,000 (say $2m in today's money) :D

I used one of those in the 1970s - though it was a slightly different design. Instead of the 8x4 button layout, it had a 6x6 array with the four corners missing, to give the 32 buttons.

wcreed

Post by wcreed » Tue May 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Does the iOS version work on an iPad?
Bill Reed
Dorico, Cubase, Overture, Sibelius, Finale, Notion
Win10 x64, 32GB RAM; iPad2; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
August Forster 190

David W

Post by David W » Tue May 28, 2019 3:21 pm

wcreed wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:37 pm
Does the iOS version work on an iPad?
The iOS version seems to be iPhone only and an ongoing subscription is required - see here for more details. As the app is free to download in the App Store, you could try downloading it to an iPad if you have one.

I wish there was a version of the app for Android phones as I'm an Apple free zone - Windows 10 Pro for Workstations convertible mobile workstation, Windows 10 Surface Go, Android phone. Even if there was an Android app, I feel the Surface Deck app is more for those who only want Stream Deck occasionally or when mobile, not a user like me. It's a nice option to have, but the drawbacks are too great for my needs:
  • ongoing subscription
  • having to have a phone stand near my computer
  • need for a Wi-Fi connection to my computer
  • no tactile feedback from physical buttons
  • the wear to the OLED screen of my phone
The only neat way to stand my phone up in landscape orientation with power applied is to use a wireless charger - but long screen on periods on a wireless charger can cause the entire phone and especially the battery to get hot, which is ruinous to battery life.

For my uses, where I would use a Stream Deck for hours each day in a variety of applications, I'd rather have a hardware Stream Deck as my main Stream Deck. If the Stream Deck application became available on Android, I'd consider subscribing for those times when I'm mobile and haven't got a hardware Stream Deck with me.

Romanos401 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm
I guess I shouldn't be too ticked; amazon says it might not ship for up to 3 more months.
I suspect that is because they are taking orders before the product is available to ship. Amazon UK shows preordering with availability on June 11.

Unfortunately there are always loser when a new or upgraded product is announced. There's always that person who bought one day before a grace period started. I was close to buying the 5x3 Stream Deck - it was fortunate that the 8x4 Stream Deck XL came along a few days before I was going to order, as it will be much more suitable for my needs.

Return to “Dorico”