Bring on that sweet figured bass!

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
fkretlow

Re: Bring on that sweet figured bass!

Post by fkretlow »

Romanos401 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:12 am
I haven’t tried this yet, but I wonder if you can also play a chord with the midi keyboard like you can for the chord track. That would also be a great way to enter fb.
Doesn't work. Maybe that's a good thing? Students will at least have to know the name of the chord...
wconable wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:04 am
To be clear, this is a wonderful new feature, but there does seem to be something lurking in there....
wconable, take a look at Layout Options > Players > Figured bass. You can simply tell Dorico for which players figured bass should appear.
Florian

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

wconable wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:04 am
To be clear, this is a wonderful new feature, but there does seem to be something lurking in there....
No, this is all working as designed. Figured bass is global by default, and applies to all instruments in the ensemble, but it only appears on the staves on which you explicitly invoke the popover and input figured bass there, or those that are activated in the list of players on the Players page of Layout Options (the former automatically activating the player in the latter). If you need to show different figures for different instruments indicating different harmony, that's what local figured bass is for. All of this is documented in the Dorico 3.5 Version History PDF, and it would be worth quickly reviewing that now you've found your sea legs with the feature a little bit, as some of the details covered in there probably make more sense once you have the gist of the feature.

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow »

benwiggy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:37 pm
Well, a SMuFL-compliant Figurato, for use with the new feature, would be awesome. Then we could still use the Lyric workaround for the things that haven't yet been implemented, and keep a consistent style.
Here you go, Ben: Figurato is now SMuFL-compliant so it can be substituted for the figured bass font style. Note that you’ll want to use a smaller font size and probably scale down accidentals in Engraving Options until Dorico can kern larger accidentals.
Florian

Post by 6620 »

Brilliant! Thank you, Florian!

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp »

Thank you, Florian! Just wondering, do we still need FiguratoB? Dorico can alter the baseline and order of the figures internally.
MacPro (late 2013), 16 GB RAM, 4-core
MacBookPro (2018), 16 GB RAM, 6-core
OS 10.15.5
NotePerformer
Hauptwerk Advanced
Dorico 3.5
Finale 3.2-26.2, Sibelius 5-7

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow »

Vaughan Schlepp wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:13 pm
Just wondering, do we still need FiguratoB?
Probably not. I've included it in the release for all the poor souls that are still doing FB in software from the last century...
Florian

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy »

fkretlow wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:32 pm

Here you go, Ben:
Fast work! Many thanks.
MacMini 2018, 3GHz i5, 32Gb RAM | MacBook Pro 2014, 2.2 GHz i7 | Garritan Personal Orchestra 5
Ancient Groove Music

lumortensen

Post by lumortensen »

Is there a way to override Dorico's automatic descending order of figures in FB-"stacks"? There is quite a number of instances where a different numbering order is used to indicate a specific position or voiceleading - as in the attached example from Bach's G Major violin sonata.
I can't get that to work, and yes, "Follow input literally" is turned on.
Am I missing something?
BWV 1021_1.png
(118.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow »

No, it's not possible.
Florian

Return to “Dorico”