Bring on that sweet figured bass!

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
fkretlow

Re: Bring on that sweet figured bass!

Post by fkretlow » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:57 am

I’m glad I could help.
You’re very welcome, Michael, and thank you for the positive feedback.
Florian

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm not trying to bump this thread, but I just wanted to say that I had my first experience using Florian's figured bass font in Dorico and I found the ease of use amazing and the results beautiful. Perhaps everything has already been covered but I just wanted to report my success entering the figures using translation lyrics which are easy to access immediately. I found this particularly useful when entering figures at spots without bass notes. I simply double-click the spot where I need the figure, thereby taking me into note entry mode. Pressing Shift-L takes me into lyric entry and the popup stays where I need it to be. I then press Alt-down arrow and I'm ready to enter the figure (I can imagine this being just as easy using verses). I also found it handy to be able to enter extension lines when necessary by advancing the cursor using Shift and avoiding them by advancing the cursor using the right arrow, although that function has limited use. At the end, I filter-selected all the lyrics in the bass staff and chose left-align, as Dorico can move the lyrics around slightly as part of its spacing routine. This action placed all the figures very neatly and consistently. All I can say is, 'Hats off!'
MacPro (late 2013), 16GB RAM
MacBookPro (2018), 16 GB RAM
Mojave (OS 10.14.5)
Dorico 2.2
Finale 3.2-26, Sibelius 5-7

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Fri May 17, 2019 12:15 am

Thank you, Vaughan. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Florian

fkretlow

Post by fkretlow » Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am

By the way, since the thread is up here again, I might as well post this now:

Daniel has let me know that they are indeed currently updating the Qt framework, so the Mac bug will no longer trouble us once Dorico 3 is out. Both Figurato and Metrico will work as expected in Dorico on Mac then.
Florian

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Fri May 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks, Florian, this is good news!
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp » Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 am

Florian, I just needed to enter an 865 and it's not [yet] included in your font. It skips from 864 to 866. ;)
Not a big deal for now but sometime it'd be good to include it. Thanks again for a great font!
Mojave (OS 10.14.5)
Dorico 2.2

jeffrags

Post by jeffrags » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Vaughan Schlepp wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm
I'm not trying to bump this thread, but I just wanted to say that I had my first experience using Florian's figured bass font in Dorico and I found the ease of use amazing and the results beautiful. Perhaps everything has already been covered but I just wanted to report my success entering the figures using translation lyrics which are easy to access immediately. I found this particularly useful when entering figures at spots without bass notes. I simply double-click the spot where I need the figure, thereby taking me into note entry mode. Pressing Shift-L takes me into lyric entry and the popup stays where I need it to be. I then press Alt-down arrow and I'm ready to enter the figure (I can imagine this being just as easy using verses). I also found it handy to be able to enter extension lines when necessary by advancing the cursor using Shift and avoiding them by advancing the cursor using the right arrow, although that function has limited use. At the end, I filter-selected all the lyrics in the bass staff and chose left-align, as Dorico can move the lyrics around slightly as part of its spacing routine. This action placed all the figures very neatly and consistently. All I can say is, 'Hats off!'
Hmm... Perhaps it could be as 'simple' as adding a new type of lyrics for figured bass. But there is the possible issue of playback, of course.

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:34 am

As I have it now, Figurato is being used as the lyrics translation font. It's easy to access (Alt-down arrow) but it does mean that I can't have a lyrics translation in a different font, although this is something I haven't yet needed.

Trying to program figured bass to play back would seem to me to be a near-impossible task. For one thing, figuring is generally and perhaps even by definition incomplete, i.e. not every bass note is figured. While this isn't a problem for an experienced player, an algorithm to determine if there should be a chord above an unfigured bass note and if so, what it might be, has to take many considerations into account, like style period, tempo, instrumentation, what's happening in the other voice(s) and a number of others. For another thing, a good continuo player has to juggle effortlessly between observing the rules of good voice leading and breaking those rules for an affect or when the context requires it. Then there's the fact that when making a good realisation, the player not only has to take the continuo instrument itself into account but also the other instruments in the ensemble (and even the musical personalities of the instrumentalists!). Then there are the acoustics of the performance space which play an important role in the realisation. And on it goes...
Mojave (OS 10.14.5)
Dorico 2.2

k_b

Post by k_b » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:22 am

yes Vaughan, very well explained.
If there was a figured bass playback, it should be very plain and basic (if at all).
Dorico Elements 3.0.10, Dorico Pro 3.0.10

semibreve [whole note] - minim [half note]
crotchet [quarter note] - quaver [eighth note]
semiquaver [sixteenth note]

Claude Lapalme

Post by Claude Lapalme » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 pm

While it may well be that it will not play back, I have a feeling that Dorico's (figurative) figured bass would likely be transposable. Something which would set it apart from the rest of the field (again!).
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

Vaughan Schlepp

Post by Vaughan Schlepp » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:32 pm

I recently had to transpose a number of pieces and it entailed going through and changing many of the figures, and it'd be really convenient if Dorico could transpose those correctly, as well, much like chords. Unfortunately there were a lot of [conflicting] figured bass conventions (like the 5 with a slash) and these would have to be taken into account.
Mojave (OS 10.14.5)
Dorico 2.2

Claude Lapalme

Post by Claude Lapalme » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:46 pm

It would not be simple, but it would be simpler than playback. I think also that the many conventions would be available in engrave mode, which would simplify the task considerably.
Claude Lapalme - Conductor, Arranger, Orchestrator
Music Director @ Red Deer Symphony Orchestra
Artistic Director @ Rosa Barocca

Return to “Dorico”