How difficult is it to progam WL so we can have controls over effects?

Post questions and find answers on our latest WaveLab releases here.
Thomas W. Bethel

How difficult is it to progam WL so we can have controls over effects?

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:56 pm

One of the most asked for refinements to WL is the ability to have control (parameter and level) over plug ins when the file is played back or rendered. I see requests for this dating back at least 6 years. Is this just a completely out of bounds request or is this a programming nightmare? I am wondering why programs like Reaper can have this feature but not WL? I am not a programmer nor do I play one on TV but if someone has already included this is a program it cannot be something that is unattainable. And if that could be controlled by a midi controller it would REALLY be great.

Today a lot of recordings are not done in a studio with a professional engineer as they were in the past and it would be great to be able to control plugins as the files were played back or rendered. Thanks in advance for any insight into this long needed refinement.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 24 years in business in 2019

PG

Re: How difficult is it to progam WL so we can have controls over effects?

Post by PG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm

What kind of control do you mean? For example, WaveLab has the option to record what is being played back, which means that anything you do on the plugins while you record, is recorded.
Philippe

Justin P

Post by Justin P » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm

I think he just found a complicated way to ask for plugin parameter automation which I know is on your radar. Right now we can only automate the blending of effects on a clip, but it would be since to automate things like EQ changes, limiter threshold changes, etc. within a song.

I'm also curious where MIDI is at for WaveLab. Until now, I didn't care about MIDI but a new hardware insert switcher I ordered has the ability to change inserts from MIDI CC commands and I'm wondering if WaveLab will be able to talk to it.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

Rat

Post by Rat » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:18 am

Justin P wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm also curious where MIDI is at for WaveLab. Until now, I didn't care about MIDI but a new hardware insert switcher I ordered has the ability to change inserts from MIDI CC commands and I'm wondering if WaveLab will be able to talk to it.
I have been searching for a reliable controller for a while now as well.
Regards

Paul

Paul Rat Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Windows 10 Professional (x64), Intel Core i7 7700 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.6 GHz CPU, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z270M-D3H LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, 2 x Intel Pro 5400S Series 256GB SSD (system and session drives), RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

WaveLab 9.5 Pro current release, ProTools, iLok, DMG (Dave Gamble), Sony Oxford, Weiss, Class A Solid State and Custom Stuff

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:39 am

PG wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:09 pm
What kind of control do you mean? For example, WaveLab has the option to record what is being played back, which means that anything you do on the plugins while you record, is recorded.
I have been with WL since version 1.6.2 so I know what WL can do. What I was asking for is to be able to do plugin parameter automation. We just had a project where we needed to do a lot of plugin automation and instead of being able to do that in WL I had to use Reaper. This request has been in discussion for the past six years. I just don't know how complicated it is to do and why it has never been implemented. I personally think you are the best programmer in the business I just don't understand why this request is so hard to implement. Thanks in advance for any insights.

To be able to do the automation via an external MIDI controller would be GREAT.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 24 years in business in 2019

PG

Post by PG » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:08 pm

Yes, it is not easy. That does not mean this is too difficult to be done either. This is just a matter of selecting development priorities.
Philippe

Return to “WaveLab Pro 9 | WaveLab Elements 9”