Page 4 of 4

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 pm
by DaniDonadi
PG wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm
We do NOT need VIDEO editing in WL
Not Video editing, but Audio Editing along a Video reference would be welcome.
For me, video reference is the #1 feature request for WL, I had to buy Reaper just for that, would love to use WL if there was a way to reference video per audio clip.

Master Rig 3rd party VSTs / Limiter / Solo & more (feature requests Wavelab 10)

Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:58 am
by avviano
Hi there!

I would like to place some suggestions of my own (I did read through most previous post, but excuse me if I missed ones):

1.) Master Rig works & sounds great, but I would love to see a possibility to add external 3rd party VSTs directly within the Master Rig (as in Ozone). I currently have a workaround which I am sure others are using to: Master Rig #1 (without Limiter / Maximizer). Then use 3rd party VSTs in regular slots. Then use Master Rig #2 (with Limiter / Maximizer). Would be more elegant if I could stay within MasterRig, for the following reasons 1.) Use less resources 2.) Save presets within Rig (incl. 3rd party VSTs) 3.) Easy A/B or Mute of master section. If that cannot be done without compromising the quality and efficiency of the existing signal chain, then I guess the current method will have to stick. I guess adding external hardware support within the rig might be a little challenging, but definitely nice. In the optimal case, the Rig would then also function as a plug-in slot extension = Internal RIG VSTs + 3rd Party VSTs + External Hardware.

2.) Can you add some more sonic flavors and / or algorithms in the Limiter section of the Master Rig?

3.) A fast & intelligent way of A/B ing audio files would be awesome (its mentioned in the first post). Since I have more then one master final, maybe possibility of referencing more masters against one source file. I understand that its possible within a montage project or within DAW tracks, but the important thing here is one-click button action without any pause or artifacts. The A/B ing needs to happen while the song keeps on flowing. Anyone who processes files would benefit from such a feature, not just mastering engineers. I understand that 3rd party plugins are out there that do the task; but its such a basic but important workflow feature that I simply believe it should be part of WL (without a steep learning curve and without much hassle to call up). It would be such a time saver and help speed up decision making processes'.

4.) More control of the file list export feature (txt, PDF aso) would definitely be nice, but not a deal-breaker if not included (;

5.) Solo features in Master Rig multiband EQ not only when you make changes but also for individual bands.

6.) Option to import Cubase Plugin Manager folder structures, Plugin Categories and Settings for VST Plugins. It would be useful to have one plugin manager that works for both Cubase and Steinberg. There is no option (either in Cubase or Wavelab) to store notes or comments or ratings for individual plugins. I do like the favorites icon (crown) option in Wavelab...

Very curious to see when WaveLab 10 will be released and what features will eventually be included. Good luck to Philippe and the whole developing team!

Cheers

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:37 am
by avviano
Manual dB input in the text input element in Master Rig is good. Would be great if direct input would work as smoothly also in the rest of Wavelab. Especially when you enter negative numbers, such as -0.5 db (Level). Some of the knobs in the Master Rig are very small, a little hard to read and its also a little difficult to make small increment changes, which in Mastering is important.

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:53 pm
by LT
DaniDonadi wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:39 pm
PG wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm
We do NOT need VIDEO editing in WL
Not Video editing, but Audio Editing along a Video reference would be welcome.
For me, video reference is the #1 feature request for WL, I had to buy Reaper just for that, would love to use WL if there was a way to reference video per audio clip.
Exactly! I often master music that will also be delivered with video. If the final product has video, working all the time without seeing it is, to say the least, awkward... But, since I won't give up working in Wavelab, I do it all the time...
One video per montage would already go a long way!

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:52 am
by Puma0382
On the topic of video support/playback, I'd suggested to PG to look into this 3rd party VST video player:- http://vidplayvst.com/index.htm

It works fine in Cubase for example but WL currently won't permit it to load/operate - because the plugin presents itself as a VST Instrument (not a VST Effect) to the host and this is not allowed in WL.

Its got pretty comprehensive codec/format support built in, which is always a good thing, right... :D Enabling support for this seemed like it would be the least amount of 'grief' for PG to take on; but hey-ho - we'll have to wait and see. Maybe there's an even better built-in solution coming... ;)

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:31 am
by nazardo
Hi there,
I've just started try WL to produce samples for musical instruments.
WL is a wonderful program also for this use, my compliments!

Anyway, I add a couple of request for my specific use:
  • Option to inhibit the Auto-Fade In, feature already present in 9.5
  • Loop Tweaker - More zoom levels to magnify the waveform (0.5; 0.25; 0.125; ...) That because when you loop an high frequency note, it's hard to see start/end loop points. For istance, this is a A#6 (3729.3 Hz) Image

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 am
by Denis van der Velde
Seems like you buy CUBASE 10 and Wavelab 9.5, you cannot use the plugin Frequency from Cubase install in Wavelab.
I wanted to batch presets i made in Frequency plugin Cubase, to batch them into wavelab. Cannot do that, nice compatibillity...

BUMMER!

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:30 am
by Thomas W. Bethel
One would think that ALL Steinberg products would be able to share their plugins. Why that is not the case remains a mystery.
The other big mystery is why Wavelab has so many problems with certain plugins when Cubase does not have those same problems. Maybe there are different teams within Steinberg and they do not share their "secrets". Or maybe there is some proprietary coding that is not shared, Anyway maybe someday someone will write a "tell all" book about the inner workings of Steinberg and we will get to know what is happening in the corporate "back room". FWIW

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
by zoundman
Here are a few requests..

- When dragging an audio file into the Montage, set focus to Montage so we can hit spacebar or the numeric key's Enter to play . (Instead of opening the wav in the editor or another app because it was focused on the Explorer/Finder window)

- When double clicking on a Montage file in Windows explorer/Finder, set focus to the montage to be able to play.

- Create a default GFK_Folder in new projects (Instead of a global folder)
(I've sent a client a .gfk file by mistake 0_o )

- Remember the Render path or 'default to source folder' in the render tab.
(I know you can click "Set source folder" in the Location Tab, but having an option to automatically set it to default would be great)

- Command to "Add wavs to Montage" in the File Browser
(If you are working on a Montage and double click a wav in the File Browser, it opens the Editor. It would be great to add a modifier key, say Alt/Opt to add them to the Montage at the cursor position)

I'm excited for version 10 and from reading on another thread about Steinberg now distributing Spectral Layers. I hope it can be opened from within the montage as an external editor as well as others like RX.

Cheers

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 pm
by Justin P
zoundman wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
Here are a few requests..

- When dragging an audio file into the Montage, set focus to Montage so we can hit spacebar or the numeric key's Enter to play . (Instead of opening the wav in the editor or another app because it was focused on the Explorer/Finder window)

- When double clicking on a Montage file in Windows explorer/Finder, set focus to the montage to be able to play.

- Create a default GFK_Folder in new projects (Instead of a global folder)
(I've sent a client a .gfk file by mistake 0_o )

- Remember the Render path or 'default to source folder' in the render tab.
(I know you can click "Set source folder" in the Location Tab, but having an option to automatically set it to default would be great)

- Command to "Add wavs to Montage" in the File Browser
(If you are working on a Montage and double click a wav in the File Browser, it opens the Editor. It would be great to add a modifier key, say Alt/Opt to add them to the Montage at the cursor position)

I'm excited for version 10 and from reading on another thread about Steinberg now distributing Spectral Layers. I hope it can be opened from within the montage as an external editor as well as others like RX.

Cheers
Lots of good ideas, but do you know you can already press SHIFT+CMD+I (or program your own shortcut) to directly import files into a new or existing montage? I do this using the native MacOS File Browser inside of WaveLab instead of the WaveLab one which to my eyes is a little small and busy.

Also, default folder behavior can be annoying in various programs, not just WaveLab so for now, I found a great Mac app called Default Folder X:
https://stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html

It's been a big time saver in many apps. If you're on Windows, I imagine there is a similar solution.

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 am
by zoundman
Justin P wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 pm
zoundman wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
Here are a few requests..

- When dragging an audio file into the Montage, set focus to Montage so we can hit spacebar or the numeric key's Enter to play . (Instead of opening the wav in the editor or another app because it was focused on the Explorer/Finder window)

- When double clicking on a Montage file in Windows explorer/Finder, set focus to the montage to be able to play.

- Create a default GFK_Folder in new projects (Instead of a global folder)
(I've sent a client a .gfk file by mistake 0_o )

- Remember the Render path or 'default to source folder' in the render tab.
(I know you can click "Set source folder" in the Location Tab, but having an option to automatically set it to default would be great)

- Command to "Add wavs to Montage" in the File Browser
(If you are working on a Montage and double click a wav in the File Browser, it opens the Editor. It would be great to add a modifier key, say Alt/Opt to add them to the Montage at the cursor position)

I'm excited for version 10 and from reading on another thread about Steinberg now distributing Spectral Layers. I hope it can be opened from within the montage as an external editor as well as others like RX.

Cheers
Lots of good ideas, but do you know you can already press SHIFT+CMD+I (or program your own shortcut) to directly import files into a new or existing montage? I do this using the native MacOS File Browser inside of WaveLab instead of the WaveLab one which to my eyes is a little small and busy.
I currently have a programmed shortcut to import wavs. The thing I like about the Wavelab's File Browser is that it displays Sample Rate and Bit Depth helping to choose the right file and saving time.

I'll check out Default Folder X: I'm on both Mac and PC so I'll check for Win version of it.
Thanks

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:34 am
by Justin P
zoundman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 am
Justin P wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:41 pm
zoundman wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 pm
Here are a few requests..

- When dragging an audio file into the Montage, set focus to Montage so we can hit spacebar or the numeric key's Enter to play . (Instead of opening the wav in the editor or another app because it was focused on the Explorer/Finder window)

- When double clicking on a Montage file in Windows explorer/Finder, set focus to the montage to be able to play.

- Create a default GFK_Folder in new projects (Instead of a global folder)
(I've sent a client a .gfk file by mistake 0_o )

- Remember the Render path or 'default to source folder' in the render tab.
(I know you can click "Set source folder" in the Location Tab, but having an option to automatically set it to default would be great)

- Command to "Add wavs to Montage" in the File Browser
(If you are working on a Montage and double click a wav in the File Browser, it opens the Editor. It would be great to add a modifier key, say Alt/Opt to add them to the Montage at the cursor position)

I'm excited for version 10 and from reading on another thread about Steinberg now distributing Spectral Layers. I hope it can be opened from within the montage as an external editor as well as others like RX.

Cheers
Lots of good ideas, but do you know you can already press SHIFT+CMD+I (or program your own shortcut) to directly import files into a new or existing montage? I do this using the native MacOS File Browser inside of WaveLab instead of the WaveLab one which to my eyes is a little small and busy.
I currently have a programmed shortcut to import wavs. The thing I like about the Wavelab's File Browser is that it displays Sample Rate and Bit Depth helping to choose the right file and saving time.

I'll check out Default Folder X: I'm on both Mac and PC so I'll check for Win version of it.
Thanks
I see, in column view on Mac, it does show you the sample rate and the bit-depth info went away for a few MacOS versions but it's back in Mojave.

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:38 pm
by brconflict
Automation of plugins has been overdue for years. If I have to automate, I can't use Wavelab on a Master session. And for Mastering, automation is becoming more important than ever. In the past, engineers who use automation in mixes would eliminate the need for Mastering engineers to, but we don't see same % of those projects as we did in the past. Most of the mizes I get are done by mix engineers a bit too timid to use automation to a large degree. So, I frequently ask for stems. With that said, my magical powers as a Mastering engineer significantly increases with full automation.

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 pm
by zoundman
brconflict wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:38 pm
Automation of plugins has been overdue for years. If I have to automate, I can't use Wavelab on a Master session. And for Mastering, automation is becoming more important than ever. In the past, engineers who use automation in mixes would eliminate the need for Mastering engineers to, but we don't see same % of those projects as we did in the past. Most of the mizes I get are done by mix engineers a bit too timid to use automation to a large degree. So, I frequently ask for stems. With that said, my magical powers as a Mastering engineer significantly increases with full automation.
+ 1
But I imagine it would require a big change of code.
Clip automation, Track automation, Master automation, Master Section automation.
This is more or less how Sequoia works, and other DAWs (with the exception of Clip plug in automation)
And you're right about receiving mixes done very differently than the old days with totally different tools and environments.So, yes Stems and automation could save the day..

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 am
by babaorum
- to be able to use a midi controller (mackie mode like Cubase) in Wavelab element ! pleaaaaaaaase

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:38 pm
by Justin P
babaorum wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:06 am
- to be able to use a midi controller (mackie mode like Cubase) in Wavelab element ! pleaaaaaaaase
Yeah, I'm curious about this too. It's not here yet but I just ordered a Crookwood mastering console that can change inserts and other things via MIDI CC commands which I know very little about.

I have a feeling it'd be nice to program the mastering console console to change inserts from song to song in WaveLab via MIDI CC.

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm
by fradoca
i'm an audio mastering engineer with 15 years of experience and i do mastering for tv broadcast and for tv series published on blu-ray/dvd.
I've used wavelab since version 6.Now i have a dedicated powerful pc with windows 10 pro 64 bit.I work totally ITB.I have had some problems with plugins by Ik Multimedia and Wavesfactory but everything has been solved installing the VST3 versions.
I also use a lot of Acustica Audio plugins and here come the big issues.I know that with Wavelab 9.1 there were no problems using AA plugins and the same plugins do not crash when used in Nuendo or Cubase.
Why wavelab has has all this problems since ver 9.5? Why it can't use the same rendering engine of Nuendo and Cubase??
Now i have the latest update the 9.5.50 version and i still have bugs and crashes with Acustica Audio plugins.I'm quite tired of using patchwork and metaplugin because not always the problem gets solved.For example both metaplugin and patchwork add 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file after the rendering.Even if i use the VST3 version of Acustica Audio plugins i'm not in an error-free situation.Other Daws do NOT have these problems with Acustica Audio plugins but i do love the sound of those plugins and the use of Wavelab for mastering so i strongly hope that all these issues will be fixed in the next release/upgrade of wavelab.If not i will have to buy Nuendo but it's something i'm not happy about....

Re: IMPORTANT FEATURES REQUEST For Wavelab 10

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:35 pm
by LT
fradoca wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 pm
i'm an audio mastering engineer with 15 years of experience and i do mastering for tv broadcast and for tv series published on blu-ray/dvd.
I've used wavelab since version 6.Now i have a dedicated powerful pc with windows 10 pro 64 bit.I work totally ITB.I have had some problems with plugins by Ik Multimedia and Wavesfactory but everything has been solved installing the VST3 versions.
I also use a lot of Acustica Audio plugins and here come the big issues.I know that with Wavelab 9.1 there were no problems using AA plugins and the same plugins do not crash when used in Nuendo or Cubase.
Why wavelab has has all this problems since ver 9.5? Why it can't use the same rendering engine of Nuendo and Cubase??
Now i have the latest update the 9.5.50 version and i still have bugs and crashes with Acustica Audio plugins.I'm quite tired of using patchwork and metaplugin because not always the problem gets solved.For example both metaplugin and patchwork add 5 seconds of silence at the end of the file after the rendering.Even if i use the VST3 version of Acustica Audio plugins i'm not in an error-free situation.Other Daws do NOT have these problems with Acustica Audio plugins but i do love the sound of those plugins and the use of Wavelab for mastering so i strongly hope that all these issues will be fixed in the next release/upgrade of wavelab.If not i will have to buy Nuendo but it's something i'm not happy about....
Have you tried jbridge? https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/
I find it more transparent, and some plugins actually run better, use the dsp more efficiently, with it.