Annual Wavelab Feature Request: Spectral Editing Like RX6

Post questions and find answers on our latest WaveLab releases here.
suntower

Re: Annual Wavelab Feature Request: Spectral Editing Like RX6

Post by suntower » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 pm

PG wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 pm
the challenge is there to make it as powerful as Rx
Or better...
Ooooooh. The gauntlet is thrown down. :D

One other thing that the new one (RX6) has -really- improved on is a 'sound finder' (I'm probably using the wrong term as I'm not at my DAW). Anyhoo, you select one spot in the audio that is dodgy and then you hit a 'Find Similar' command and it then auto-magically selects them -all- as blobs for processing en masse. And it works -amazingly- well. -That- may be a bit outside of WL's paradigm, but I just wanted you to know where the competition was at.

As ever,

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 9, iCPro, WL7, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:49 pm

suntower wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:24 pm
PG wrote:
Or better...
Ooooooh. The gauntlet is thrown down. :D
..... and then there's SpectraLayers' great selection tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cpGj7eApiM
Windows 10 Pro | Cubase Pro 9.5.10 | WaveLab 9.5.15 | HALion 6.0.15 | Groove Agent 4.2.40 | Midex 3/Midex 8 | x64 only

pwhodges

Post by pwhodges » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 am

True; selection of multiple harmonics is high on my list (Acoustica also has that one).

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 pm

PG wrote:
Or better...
:shock:
http://www.oliver-lucas.de
Latest Nuendo on various Macs
Main machines: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, Intensity Pro, PT HD 11

RayThomas

Post by RayThomas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 pm
PG wrote:
Or better...
:shock:
This is to be encouraged, since we are still left with the outdated, coarse grained and quite unsophisticated Sonnox DeNoiser ( I haven't tried De-Clicker or De-Buzzer to comment on whether they are similarly underpowered) , which is hardly a serious restoration toolkit now in 2017.

bob99

Post by bob99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 am

suntower wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 am
---specifically, the ONE reason I shelled out for RX was the Spectral Editor. It's better in the following way(s):

1. You can draw -multiple- selections and then apply a process to those selections. In WL, you have to do each selection one at a time. This can be unbelievably handy if you have a bunch of stabs or -whatever- (like a hi-hat) that need the same processing.

2. Even better the RX spectral editor has a 'find similar' function, which is very much like the global search and replace in a word processor. So you find a particular problem (like the hi-hat above), select the first instance, then RX can find all instances of that type of sound and select them all. You can then process them all in one go. This has been a -game changer- for me.

Cheers,
I'm still checking out the Spectral Editor, but it seems the most obvious thing it's missing compared to RX is the "Find Similar" function. Are there plans to add something like that?

The new editor has Multiple Selection. Harmonic selection. Audio inpainting/heal. Magic Wand. Anything I'm missing?

Has anyone who used to use RX exclusively switched over from RX to Wavelab for spectral editing?

suntower

Post by suntower » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 am

Hi,

Well this is a switch. I'm always the know-nothing. But I've been using RX for a while =specifically= because because of the absolutely wonderful spectral editing. I am -just- diving into WL 9.5. The thing about the WL ui is that it is for 'power users'--which is great once you get the hang of it, but it's not always 'instant gratification'.

For example multiple selections. This is super simple in RX. It's not nearly as -obvious- in WL, but once you figure out the 'trick' you get the job done all the same.

I will say that the in-painting--which I initially thought might be something that an SB engineer put in just to be 'clever' (but not actually useful). I was -wrong-. It's --super-- useful. BUT it requires a LOT of practice. I do a lot of work in Photoshop and it reminds me a lot of Photoshop's band-aid and clone tools. It takes trial and error to figure out the best 'strategy', but after a few misses, when it works, it can be miraculous.

Right now, I'm still using RX when I have obvious repetitive clicks--until I see if WL can do the same. My -hope- is to be able to figure it out in WL and jettison RX entirely. When I do, I'll post back here with any tips.

Sorry for the partial non-answer. Hope it helped at least a little.

Best,

---JC

bob99 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 am
suntower wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 am
---specifically, the ONE reason I shelled out for RX was the Spectral Editor. It's better in the following way(s):

1. You can draw -multiple- selections and then apply a process to those selections. In WL, you have to do each selection one at a time. This can be unbelievably handy if you have a bunch of stabs or -whatever- (like a hi-hat) that need the same processing.

2. Even better the RX spectral editor has a 'find similar' function, which is very much like the global search and replace in a word processor. So you find a particular problem (like the hi-hat above), select the first instance, then RX can find all instances of that type of sound and select them all. You can then process them all in one go. This has been a -game changer- for me.

Cheers,
I'm still checking out the Spectral Editor, but it seems the most obvious thing it's missing compared to RX is the "Find Similar" function. Are there plans to add something like that?

The new editor has Multiple Selection. Harmonic selection. Audio inpainting/heal. Magic Wand. Anything I'm missing?

Has anyone who used to use RX exclusively switched over from RX to Wavelab for spectral editing?
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 9, iCPro, WL7, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

Return to “WaveLab Pro 9 | WaveLab Elements 9”