Nuendo 7.5 - Any known info?

Post general topics related to Nuendo 7 here.
umfufu

Re: Nuendo 7.5 - Any known info?

Post by umfufu » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:51 pm

Any rough timeline for the 7.5 release?
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.6. CubasePro 10 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Headlands wrote:
umfufu wrote:Any rough timeline for the 7.5 release?
I think it's pointless to ask since official answers haven't matched up with reality so far, at all.
They've recently turned more conservative announcing release dates and usually that has led to them being rather accurate...Of course that means that it's still pointless to ask :lol:

Ollie
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, macOS 10.14
Avid ProTools S3

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:04 pm

What good is the release date of a new version with new features if it's going to take about 10-11 months to get them to work properly after???
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

fenderchris

Post by fenderchris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:45 pm

Lydiot wrote:What good is the release date of a new version with new features if it's going to take about 10-11 months to get them to work properly after???
Yep. I'm not looking forward to n7.5 at all. It will contain new and, in some cases, unwanted features so SB feel justified in charging for a .5 update, and there will be no guarantee that the n7 problems we paid for a long time ago will be fixed. The new features will also probably break things that were previously working, as per usual.
Chris

The Archers - give it a rest already!

Windows-10 Pro 64-bit v.1903.

PC: i7 Quad core 2.66GHz, 24GB ram, SSD drives.

Screens: LG 4K 3440x1440, AG-Neovo 1280x1024 (x2).

Hardware: RME FireFace UFX, MR816CSX (x2), SmartAV Tango-1 + 12-fader expansion, MOTU Midi Express 128, UAD-2 Quad, Lexicon PCM-91, Lexicon MPX-550, TC-Fireworx, Roland V-Drums TD-20X, Nektar Panorama P1.

Software: Nuendo-8.1.10, Nuendo-10.2, Wavelab-Elements-9.5, Halion-6, Halion Sonic 3, Kontakt-5, Cubase iCPro for iPhone and Android (killed by its parents at birth), Omnisphere, Trillian.

drorh4

Post by drorh4 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:57 am

Any news?
Features info?
Are we into the grace period yet?

throw us a bone here. :)
OSX sierra 10.12.6 (MacBook pro mid12)
Win10 (desktop studio PC)
Nuendo 8.3.20 - Wavelab 9.5
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite
Waves/plugin Alliance/Soundtoys

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Hi all,

Quicktime (QT) is so much. It is the QT api that Apple will drop in the future. The current video engine utilise the QT api on both Windows and OS X, so it is cross platform today.
When the QT api is dropped from OS X AV Foundation is the only video api standing.
For Windows Apple is dropping QT and it is also only 32bit on Windows. So for Windows SB will have to use a native api to Windows.

All this is positive, because we are dragging the feet on current Win and OSX versions. QT api is old and not very efficient. Hey, even AJA and BMD have to keep QT api for legacy in their drivers to give us video output from Nuendo and other software still using the QT api. The future will be bright when the bugs are ironed out.

For info, the video export in PT is using the QT api, so it will die when Apple drops it. I suspect that Avid of course will bring it back, but it might take time there also.
Adobe is also relying on QT api for many operations. They also have to change.
I suspect that it is the two big players Avid and Adobe that are talking Apple into keeping QT for the time being. It was announced as dead years ago.

Apps software that use native AV Foundation today (that I know of) in OSX:
- BMD Davinci Resolve
- Apple Quicktimeplayer X
- Apple Final Cut Pro X
- Apple iMovie
- etc.

Trivia: Video and audio playback and record on iPhone and iPad have been AV Foundation from day one.

Pål
Nuendo 7.0.x, nMP 8-core with 2xD700, 64GB, Macbook Pro Retina15" i7, RME UFX, RME Babyface, Artist Mix, Control and Transport, CC121.

drorh4

Post by drorh4 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 am

The point is not QT.
The point is WE need a solution to keep up with our clients. WE need ANY solution, fast, from inside Nuendo to export video fragments.

As I said before - The connection between Sound designer-composer to his client became "Online". Some want to know about the progress asap.

If QT is dead, please, come up with other solutions.
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:03 am

drorh4 wrote:The point is not QT.
The point is WE need a solution to keep up with our clients. WE need ANY solution, fast, from inside Nuendo to export video fragments.

As I said before - The connection between Sound designer-composer to his client became "Online". Some want to know about the progress asap.

If QT is dead, please, come up with other solutions.
I of course agree with you! It is a sorely missed feature.
Nuendo 7.0.x, nMP 8-core with 2xD700, 64GB, Macbook Pro Retina15" i7, RME UFX, RME Babyface, Artist Mix, Control and Transport, CC121.

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:25 am

Hoping this gets released at Musikmesse in two days!
iMacPro 10 Cores, 64 Gigs Ram. High Sierra 10.13.6. CubasePro 10 and Nuendo 8 (latests). Universal Audio Interfaces.

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:34 am

umfufu wrote:Hoping this gets released at Musikmesse in two days!
Why would they choose a music trade show to release an audio post application?
Main machine: Hexacore 3.3 Cheese grater with USB3 and RME Raydat, 48GB RAM, Radeon HD 7970, Caldigit FASTA USB C, Intensity Pro, macOS 10.14
Avid ProTools S3

umfufu

Post by umfufu » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Notice how I said "hoping".

drorh4

Post by drorh4 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Obviously, SB will announce it on the Web first.
Hopefully we will have any respond here at the forum.
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 pm

According to this blog Quicktime for Windows suffers from 2 serious security vunerabilities and should be uninstalled as soon as possible. For anyone using Nuendo on PC this is currently not an option. However you could consider taking your studio off the net...
Apple manages to disappoint pro users even if they don't use Macs. Very bad publicity indeed.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call- ... ows-today/
Avid ProTools S3

psvennevig

Post by psvennevig » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:According to this blog Quicktime for Windows suffers from 2 serious security vunerabilities and should be uninstalled as soon as possible. For anyone using Nuendo on PC this is currently not an option. However you could consider taking your studio off the net...
Apple manages to disappoint pro users even if they don't use Macs. Very bad publicity indeed.

http://blog.trendmicro.com/urgent-call- ... ows-today/
You can remove the QT player only. This still leaves the QT libs there which is what Nuendo needs.

Pål

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:13 am

I don't know about 7.5. I'm not that long in the Nuendo universe yet. About a year now. And I've seen so many updates and new features and especially bugfixes in other DAWs, while Nuendo has remained largely without update.

Making a paid upgrade for every .5 update sets the wrong incentives in my opinion. You keep back features to justify a price tag. As the Nuendo dev team doesn't seem large, most of the developers probably work on the paid features, as they are said justification for making it a paid upgrade. All while taking away resources from needed bug fixes as they don't pay the bills. I think the .5 update should be deliberately free of bigger new features and improve workflows and squash bugs. Not to introduce new shiny features. Those can be concentrated to major releases.

I think Nuendo would be a great candidate for a subscription model that many companies come up with now, e.g. Adobe. I think paying a monthly fee that adds up to about the amount of the paid upgrades would be fine for me. They could release fixes and features as they become available and don't have to hold back features for a paid upgrade. They don't have to keep multiple codebases, the current one for fixing bugs and the new one with the new features and fixed bugs. I would hope releases, bug fixes and new features would come much more fluently. Photoshop and Premiere Pro are also pro tools and there, updating the apps on a rolling basis seems to work fine. All while fixing bugs and adding new features and improvements constantly. I like it.

Currently, Nuendo is very highly priced for the support one gets. There are still many things people complain about here in the forums and there hasn't been an update to Nuendo for a long time, compared to other software tools I use. They get fixed and patched much more quickly and I even get the occasional small feature without paying.
I'm also disappointed that popular Cubase is leading the tech, while Nuendo gets those features only years later, all while having 3 times the price tag. Yes, it is for a professional audience, it's more a niche product than Cubase, but so the tool should also be professional, stable and state of the art in most aspects.

Take a look at Blackmagic Design, their pro editing and color grading suite DaVinci Resolve is $999. They just announced a .5 update. Look at all the stuff in there (scroll down half a page and click the first video): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve
Or written as text: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt ... 21&t=46849
And it's free for existing users. No charge.

I'm OK with paying for great work, so I'm not saying a Nuendo .5 update should be free. I'm willing to pay for pro software, no question. But Nuendo feels like a stepchild, a second class citizen in the Steinberg universe, slowly falling behind the times. Not dramatic, but in small steps. And slow updates that don't fix pressing issues just accelerate this cycle.

A non-vital but important thing is for example retina support. While most apps have a Retina version on my 5K Mac by now, Nuendo still looks ugly and pixelated. Fonts are super small, as if I was stuck in year 2000, where 14" flatscreen monitors were THE thing and 10pt fonts looked big. In a 27" multi-monitor environment, where you sit a little further back, it's simply unreadable. But it will probably be year 2025 until we see an update for that. It doesn't seem like a big thing, but when you have trouble reading the information on screen and have convoluted, small, or unfindable click targets with tons of mouse-over reveals, where you need to position the mouse on a single pixel for it to show up or move, your workflow slows down to a crawl and this impacts productivity. Not everyone has the precision of a surgeon, not everyone has the best vision despite glasses. Super small fonts are a challenge and I don't want to keep sticking my nose to the screen. Especially as I can use Logic or Studio One just fine. But they don't do everything Nuendo does. So I love Nuendo for what it does, but it could be brought into a more modern environment for it to stay great for the next 10 years.

I'm a bit disappointed by this strategy and update cycle. And I hoped I would not be dependent on the few functions no other tool has so I could switch away.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2016 with Touchbar, latest macOS, 16GB RAM
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:10 pm

ChrisPolus wrote:Making a paid upgrade for every .5 update sets the wrong incentives in my opinion.
Well, we say that, but at the end of the day from Steinberg's perspective it is what we do that counts. The last time a .5 came out I'd had enough and skipped updating. That was due to the current state of version 6.x and the newer version not having enough new features I could count on to make it worth while. Then I got version 7 instead because of VCAs, literally mostly because of that, and maybe you know how that went.

So the real question is how do users react to this? If people just keep paying then SB keeps doing what its doing. It's that simple.
ChrisPolus wrote: I think the .5 update should be deliberately free of bigger new features and improve workflows and squash bugs. Not to introduce new shiny features. Those can be concentrated to major releases.
There was a thread that was pretty telling in the Cubase section. The gist of it was basically "fix bugs first, introduce new features later". Most users seemed to agree, which they have done for years and years. Steinberg's response was to poll the users.... For the most wanted new features! The comment was "Oh, well, of course we care about bugs, that goes without saying". It's like they didn't really understand what was said or coldly calculated that users would get distracted by shiny new features as they always are.
ChrisPolus wrote:I think Nuendo would be a great candidate for a subscription model that many companies come up with now, e.g. Adobe. I think paying a monthly fee that adds up to about the amount of the paid upgrades would be fine for me. They could release fixes and features as they become available and don't have to hold back features for a paid upgrade.
I'm skeptic regarding subscriptions. If you look at Avid's userbase the users have been by and large incredibly unhappy about it. Part of it was the messy way things were communicated and structured, but the other part has been that people paid upfront for new features and haven't seen much at all as a result.

In Avid's case, if I remember correctly, accounting issues pretty much forced them to change the way they charge for support and updates/upgrades, and of course it also yielded a different cash flow. But if you ignore those two issues, legal/accounting - because Steinberg is in Germany, and cash flow - because Steinberg isn't suffering like Avid is/was, I don't really see a reason why we can't have our cake and eat it too. There's simply no apparent reason for not prioritizing fixing bugs quickly and adding features later, other than increasing profit.
ChrisPolus wrote:Currently, Nuendo is very highly priced for the support one gets.
I think this is very relative to the perspective you view it from though. To me, as an engineer in the US where PT is everywhere in post, Nuendo + Windows + home assembled computer is dirt-cheap. So, relative to the competition's DAW it's not a big deal.

BUT, almost all work I did last year was on PT, not Nuendo, and that makes it a very different proposition. Why would I want to pay in advance for the DAW that produces the least income? From that standpoint, and as you point out, in comparison to other software like Resolve, it is indeed "expensive", or at least not as appealing. Then again, if it's a matter of just dividing your average upgrade cost over time and making that a subscription it'll likely feel cheap again... i.e. a major version costs the average user $240 (just to make it simple) every two years = $10/month. From SB's perspective one also has to wonder if it's worth it though, in terms of restructuring accounting etc to accomodate for it.
ChrisPolus wrote:Take a look at Blackmagic Design, their pro editing and color grading suite DaVinci Resolve is $999. They just announced a .5 update. Look at all the stuff in there (scroll down half a page and click the first video): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve
That is indeed pretty incredible. We have to remember though that they have an entire eco-system and make their money off of hardware sales. In that sense it's akin to Logic/Apple.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:20 pm

ChrisPolus wrote:I don't know about 7.5. I'm not that long in the Nuendo universe yet. About a year now. And I've seen so many updates and new features and especially bugfixes in other DAWs, while Nuendo has remained largely without update.

Making a paid upgrade for every .5 update sets the wrong incentives in my opinion. You keep back features to justify a price tag. As the Nuendo dev team doesn't seem large, most of the developers probably work on the paid features, as they are said justification for making it a paid upgrade. All while taking away resources from needed bug fixes as they don't pay the bills. I think the .5 update should be deliberately free of bigger new features and improve workflows and squash bugs. Not to introduce new shiny features. Those can be concentrated to major releases.

I think Nuendo would be a great candidate for a subscription model that many companies come up with now, e.g. Adobe. I think paying a monthly fee that adds up to about the amount of the paid upgrades would be fine for me. They could release fixes and features as they become available and don't have to hold back features for a paid upgrade. They don't have to keep multiple codebases, the current one for fixing bugs and the new one with the new features and fixed bugs. I would hope releases, bug fixes and new features would come much more fluently. Photoshop and Premiere Pro are also pro tools and there, updating the apps on a rolling basis seems to work fine. All while fixing bugs and adding new features and improvements constantly. I like it.

Currently, Nuendo is very highly priced for the support one gets. There are still many things people complain about here in the forums and there hasn't been an update to Nuendo for a long time, compared to other software tools I use. They get fixed and patched much more quickly and I even get the occasional small feature without paying.
I'm also disappointed that popular Cubase is leading the tech, while Nuendo gets those features only years later, all while having 3 times the price tag. Yes, it is for a professional audience, it's more a niche product than Cubase, but so the tool should also be professional, stable and state of the art in most aspects.

Take a look at Blackmagic Design, their pro editing and color grading suite DaVinci Resolve is $999. They just announced a .5 update. Look at all the stuff in there (scroll down half a page and click the first video): https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve

I'm OK with paying for great work, so I'm not saying a Nuendo .5 update should be free. I'm willing to pay for pro software, no question. But Nuendo feels like a stepchild, a second class citizen in the Steinberg universe, slowly falling behind the times. Not dramatic, but in small steps. And slow updates that don't fix pressing issues just accelerate this cycle.

A non-vital but important thing is for example retina support. While most apps have a Retina version on my 5K Mac by now, Nuendo still looks ugly and pixelated. Fonts are super small, as if I was stuck in year 2000, where 14" flatscreen monitors were THE thing and 10pt fonts looked big. In a 27" multi-monitor environment, where you sit a little further back, it's simply unreadable. But it will probably be year 2025 until we see an update for that. It doesn't seem like a big thing, but when you have trouble reading the information on screen and have convoluted, small, or unfindable click targets with tons of mouse-over reveals, where you need to position the mouse on a single pixel for it to show up or move, your workflow slows down to a crawl and this impacts productivity. Not everyone has the precision of a surgeon, not everyone has the best vision despite glasses. Super small fonts are a challenge and I don't want to keep sticking my nose to the screen. Especially as I can use Logic or Studio One just fine. But they don't do everything Nuendo does. So I love Nuendo for what it does, but it could be brought into a more modern environment for it to stay great for the next 10 years.

I'm a bit disappointed by this strategy and update cycle. And I hoped I would not be dependent on the few functions no other tool has so I could switch away.
VFX software especially makes me believe the competition among DAWs could indeed get stiffer, forcing dev teams to try a little harder.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:53 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:VFX software especially makes me believe the competition among DAWs could indeed get stiffer, forcing dev teams to try a little harder.
And one thing to remember is that while post engineers and facilities won't switch any time soon, a lot of users might choose Reaper over Cubase as they switch from PT. And since Cubase clearly is a cash-cow for Steinberg I'd take that very seriously, particularly that pretty much every user I've seen or heard commenting on support specifically have been incredibly happy with it.

drorh4

Post by drorh4 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:28 pm

I must say this.

Its 3 years now since I move almost full time to Nuendo from PT. I want a platform that I could work with scoring and post audio editing instead of PT and Cubase.
Now days I admit it was a mistake. Avid are pain in the ass but PT was very easy to use, I could work everywhere, it surely sounds way better(dont know why, but thats the way it is).
Instead of working with cubase I paid the extra for Nuendo. It came clear to me very soon that to be able to work like in cubase I need to pay for NEK. I will need to pay not only for the updates but for the NEK updates.
I will see Cubase users using any new features a whole year before I can try something cause NEK customers CANT use cubase.

I dont say Neundo is bad product, Its great. but it became a "Catholic" wedding.
I need to pay more and get the least.

And for the money - If I cant get all the cubase features, I want the cubase users to have the own "NEK"..paying extra for timecode ruler, video engine bla bla bla.
Lynx Aurora 8
Motu Ultralite

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:27 pm

drorh4 wrote:I must say this.

Its 3 years now since I move almost full time to Nuendo from PT. I want a platform that I could work with scoring and post audio editing instead of PT and Cubase.
Now days I admit it was a mistake. Avid are pain in the ass but PT was very easy to use, I could work everywhere, it surely sounds way better(dont know why, but thats the way it is).
Instead of working with cubase I paid the extra for Nuendo. It came clear to me very soon that to be able to work like in cubase I need to pay for NEK. I will need to pay not only for the updates but for the NEK updates.
I will see Cubase users using any new features a whole year before I can try something cause NEK customers CANT use cubase.

I dont say Neundo is bad product, Its great. but it became a "Catholic" wedding.
I need to pay more and get the least.

And for the money - If I cant get all the cubase features, I want the cubase users to have the own "NEK"..paying extra for timecode ruler, video engine bla bla bla.
i understand your sentiment regarding the wait on nuendo to port over the cubase features. but from the pov of developing a 'professional daw for post', it does make sense some buffer time is given to iron out the quirks before the 'adult' version acquires them. in an ideal world, sw would be free of bugs, but it never is. in less-than-ideal world, the bugs would be ironed out within that year. it is quite unfortunate that in reality, the bugs and worfklow downgrades from cubase just seem to carry over to nuendo (on a related note, i am curious to see if the new cumbersome locator system in the new cubase will debilitate nuendo in its upcoming version).
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:i understand your sentiment regarding the wait on nuendo to port over the cubase features. but from the pov of developing a 'professional daw for post', it does make sense some buffer time is given to iron out the quirks before the 'adult' version acquires them. in an ideal world, sw would be free of bugs, but it never is. in less-than-ideal world, the bugs would be ironed out within that year.
I think the argument that was made time and again that made sense was that a Nuendo+NEK owner should receive a combo license instead. So rather than having only a Nuendo or Nuendo+NEK license, one would have a Nuendo OR Nuendo/NEK/CubasePro licence. With the latter license one could then access the new features in Cubase before they find their way to Nuendo, yet without sacrificing profit for Steinberg since it's just one license. In other words it sits on the dongle and one can run either one or the other, rather than having two separate licenses. That to me makes a ton of sense IF the argument is that Nuendo+NEK includes all Cubase features.
lukasbrooklyn wrote:it is quite unfortunate that in reality, the bugs and worfklow downgrades from cubase just seem to carry over to nuendo (on a related note, i am curious to see if the new cumbersome locator system in the new cubase will debilitate nuendo in its upcoming version).
Agreed.

Sunshy

Post by Sunshy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:57 pm

+1 for combo license. I know you can just download a cubase 8.5 trial license but I think it would show some respect to us that pay the higher fees for Nuendo.
N 8.3 Cubase 10
Intel Core I7-3930K Sandy Bridge 3.8, 64 GB Corsair RAM, Itel 330 Series SSD Drive for OS, Win 10 Pro 64 bit
RME UFX, UR28M, CC 121, Blackmagic Intensity Pro

Oliver.Lucas

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Nuendo as a nieche market product is very reasonably priced.

I'm happy to throw money at Steinberg for their outstanding work for every .5 update as long as the features keep coming and the platform is actively being developed. 7 is the best Nuendo ever.
Avid ProTools S3

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote: i understand your sentiment regarding the wait on nuendo to port over the cubase features. but from the pov of developing a 'professional daw for post', it does make sense some buffer time is given to iron out the quirks before the 'adult' version acquires them.
i'm not quite on the same page. Cubase is a pro music tool. As far as I've seen in videos, even Hans Zimmer uses it. And he has to have a rock solid production workflow for his enterprise, too, I guess ;) Cubase is not the childish playground but has to perform similarly solid in music and scoring for film situations without a hickup. And so we Nuendo users expect the same. Be on a stable edge of technology to do our best work using the best tools given the best workflow standards currently available in the industry. Every feature that saves us time and creates better quality is worth money. INCLUDING fixing bugs that hinder productivity and destroy work or make it more difficult to achieve a goal. Every bug can be a huge time drain when you try to pin down the problem and working around it.

From Nuendo I expect to be on the same technical level. I mean, the tools Cubase and Nuendo are deliberately held similar. It's the same channel strip, the same plugin architecture, timeline and audio engines and so on. They don't have to maintain 2 completely separate products. There obviously is a crossover in code.

Yes, every product has bugs and I accept that. But it goes a long way how the company deals with them. Addressing and fixing them is one way, in my opinion good way of doing things to your paying customers. Ignoring them and making people really angry is another way. I'm sure DaVinci Resolve has it's share of annoying bugs as well, and I don't know how they deal with it, I'm not a Resolve user. I think the grass is always greener on the other side. But it nevertheless is impresive what Blackmagic is able to put in there and it really seems as if competition helps here. Yes, they have a big ecosystem like Apple with lots of hardware, but Steinberg also has some hardware and makes good money on Cubase I'd think? So developing Nuendo is a must or they should stop it. But making their users pay for an upgrade with some new features while leaving people with big bugs out in the cold, only fixing those bugs in the paid upgrade, that's really no the way to go.

I mean, I've never heard of Resolve a few years ago. There's always time to enter a market for a new player and doing something nobody else did AND stick out. Bitwig Studio was a recent example in the music world. You'd think there are enough music DAWs out there, but there's still rooms for great concepts and new ideas that inspire us to do a greater job. I'm stunned at what comes out of all the software companies. The node based effect thingy in Studio One 3 that looks like a modernized Native Instruments Kore for example. Gorgeous! Or the abolity for Melodyne to access the complete track's timeline not what's right under the playhead (called Audio Random Access, or ARA). VocalSync tech in Sonar. That stuff's innovative, when you think you've seen everything in music DAWs. In the realm of post production tools there's just not that much around. I actually like Studio One, but it's focused on music. No surround or OMF/AAF is a killer. Logic's great too, but no batch processing of events and markers and really bad at OMF and AAF. None of those has ADR or EDL / reconforming capabilities. Nuendo has some really great things and ideas and is mostly really solid for me. But there'd be time for a competitor to take their music DAW, add some great post production features and have a completely new market in front of themselves.

More competition would really work wonders I think. Currently it's very boring on this market. I know many people just want nothing to change so they can productively work on their clients projects. And that's OK. These people don't have to upgrade right away and can wait until the dust settles. But only adding small, safe features and one or two workflow improvements doesn't bring the industry forward and doesn't allow for big leaps of inspiration and new ways of thinking. Either Steinberg gets back in the game strong or I hope a competitor will pick up the ball. Apparently, judging from PT HD and Nuendo's price, there's a lot one can demand for a good post production suite, in comparison with the crashed music DAW prices. I mean, you get some of the best tools for about $250 today. Or are post production features so boring and annoying with old tech and EDLs that nobody wants to do them? Is it not hip enough? Is it just cooler adding the 10th iteration of a beat machine into a music DAW for the music makers to lay down some beats? Adding new beat and hip hop sample packs? Is that the new thing?

I for one am highly interested in workflow improvements and where this industry could develop towards. Just think about other markets. Avid is just making the first steps with their cloud sharing platform. But in film cutting, color grading, rendering, 3D and such spaces, collaboration is long there! People cut on separate scenes or even in the same timeline of a movie together. They work on shots together and share image elements in a project. Same in 3D scenes, where people at the same time are adding models, textures, lights. I'm part of a game dev team and we're working all in the same tool on the same game in the same scene on the same items. It's crazy collaborative! I think Nuendo has some collaborative features if I'm not mistaken. Other great feelings arise when you can open an old project file and import some channel strips from it... Bitwig announced some features in that direction, don't know if they arrived. I would just love see Steinberg skate to where the puck is GOING TO BE in the industry. Not where the puck passed by a few years ago.
Handmade Win10 x64 Machine, Intel 6 Core CPU, ASUS Prime Board, 16GB RAM, 1080 GTX
Latest Nuendo version, Logic Pro X, Reaper, UAD Apollo Duo + Twin MK2 via Thunderbolt

ChrisPolus

Post by ChrisPolus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:19 pm

Oliver.Lucas wrote:Nuendo as a nieche market product is very reasonably priced.

I'm happy to throw money at Steinberg for their outstanding work for every .5 update as long as the features keep coming and the platform is actively being developed. 7 is the best Nuendo ever.
I agree. As I said before. Everything that helps me save time is worth some money. But when it's hard to click on things, fonts are small and hard to read, click targets are tiny and hidden by mouse-over gestures, it hinders productivity and costs time. Interface design, usability and workflow improvements are a BIG part of productivity and saving time. A lot more could be invested in that area. Not only by Steinberg. I also think PT is a stone age product. When you're looking at the modern video production software, where many people have to collaborate together on a huge project, sharing project files, working on them collaboratively and simultaneously, roundtripping to other products and back. This to me feels adapted to our modern technology, networking and internet age. This industry really had to bend backwards to making that happen and innovate. Whereas my personal opinion is that in sound production, everything is about yet another distortion plugin, yet another virtual modular synth and beats sample pack, but the overall DAW tool itself that gets the work done, is stuck in time. There are SO many things one could do... Are the people working with the tools so used to them that they cannot think outside the box? Does the status quo not hurt enough to make a leap and change how things are done? Or is there just not big enough of a market to make such changes? However, making the GUI dark is not enough.

If you look at the last few Logic updates, I think Logic 9 it was, most "new" things was yet another cabinet emulator, switch mics and cabinets and distortion levels. New synths. New loops. It's easy adding plugins and some content. But what about the main tool? Where was the innovation there? However, I like how Apple with the last few Logic Pro X updates and bug fix releases in the past months modernized their old plugins (optimized GUI, larger click targets, simpler, practical design, this saves time and it's easier to understand what plugins do), how they added new editor and export features. The last couple of releases were very nice. And this while Logic is way down on Apple's priority list. They don't have a lot of resources for development and progress feels slow. But Steinberg's flagship products are their software live Cubase, Nudeno, Wavelab. They're living off it, this is their main source of income. These products should shine and show the way. Yet progress in Nuendo feels glacial. There are other companies that have more forward drive like PreSonus and even Cakewalk. Alas, none of them cares about sound post production or game sound.
Last edited by ChrisPolus on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General”