[ISSUE] VCA ___ (controls other than level)

Post general topics related to Nuendo 7 here.
benoit

Re: [ISSUE] VCA ___ (controls other than level)

Post by benoit »

Lydiot wrote:
1) in some cases you're just doubling up on "control tracks", right? I mean, if I want to have a VCA control my stems, and I want to be able to record enable them easily with one click and not much navigation, then I'd end up with not just yet another channel but also a different type of channel (audio). So I'll end up with one VCA and one audio track, just to control my stems. Two channels instead of one. I don't see how that's an improvement over just using one.
...true.

benoit
benoit piccand - leitung tonstudio/ sound arts - musik und medienkunst
berner fachhochschule / hochschule der künste bern
www.hkb-musik.ch | www.hkb.bfh.ch | https://hkb-soundarts.ch
nuendo 10 on div. macs, on board since cubase 1.0 on atari.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Just a quick note on this subject.
On our old Capricorn console we could also do this (S5 master channel), controlling other channels without locking them into a fixed group. I'd love to see this in Nuendo.
Controlling multiple sends easily without having to use groups as I want to keep having full individual control at all times.
A super feature really.

I would also like to say that the place aren't of VCAs in the rack is a really bad idea.
Whenever you work with channels that are controlled or linked you need to see that at a glance.
So unless steinberg makes it possible to move the VCAs to the bottom and force them to stay open, then it has some rather serious usability issues still.

It's not that I'm not happy that we finally get VCAs, I love it! It could just have been implemented a bit better still.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

Speaking of the hundreds of consoles I've used over 3 decaes, the Capricorn was/is a really good sounding console. Many cool ideas there, they just probably over-reached a bit in money and development time. Did have some stability issues, but it was pretty great when it was working.

OK, sorry for off topic. But I hadn't thought of a Capricorn in a long while. I'm sure it still sounds great.
N10.3 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4 GHz Win 7 Pro 64bit - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad

Getalife2

Post by Getalife2 »

benoit wrote:
Lydiot wrote:
1) in some cases you're just doubling up on "control tracks", right? I mean, if I want to have a VCA control my stems, and I want to be able to record enable them easily with one click and not much navigation, then I'd end up with not just yet another channel but also a different type of channel (audio). So I'll end up with one VCA and one audio track, just to control my stems. Two channels instead of one. I don't see how that's an improvement over just using one.
...true.

benoit
Folders will get you Rec Arm, Mute and Solo.
N10.3 - i7 5960X/32 GB at 4 GHz Win 7 Pro 64bit - 2x RME MADI - 3X UAD-2 Quad

benoit

Post by benoit »

...yes. but folders are kind of static. i wouln'd start to move tracks out of or to a specific folder just to to that, this is asking for trouble in a complex project.

(btw, and out of topic: i wished that the folders' group-edit function would accept to recognize and include clips-lengths which are not perfectly trimmed - on the sample! - to each other. switching between the group-edit function and grouping the clips (one fonction exludes the other, and they do have completely different impacts) still feels strange to me, coming from the completely transparent and unified clip-grouping-concepts in pyramix. this among other grouping-oddities in NU).

benoit
benoit piccand - leitung tonstudio/ sound arts - musik und medienkunst
berner fachhochschule / hochschule der künste bern
www.hkb-musik.ch | www.hkb.bfh.ch | https://hkb-soundarts.ch
nuendo 10 on div. macs, on board since cubase 1.0 on atari.

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Getalife2 wrote:
benoit wrote:
Lydiot wrote:
...true.

benoit
Folders don't appear on either mixers or control surfaces.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve »

And on the topic of control surfaces + VCA faders + record & input monitoring - if you have your VCA faders mapped to the control surface (assigned to fixed fader positions) it's far easier to hit record toggle on these than it is to now try and bank locate a particular fader that is part of a link group to enable record for the group.

HughH

Post by HughH »

Fredo wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why is it that the old fashioned "linking" is a problem for you?
So, why don't you link the channels (there are plenty of options to only link a few parameters) to rec-arm your tracks.
Why do you want to do this at all cost with VCA faders?

Fredo
Because with Linking - with respect to ANY of these functions (Rec, Mute, Solo, Select, Monitor) - when you select or Rec Arm ANY of the channels they all become selected, armed, whatever.

The point is to be able to do this individually for each member channel or Globally using the VCA master.

Hugh
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

HughH wrote:
Fredo wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why is it that the old fashioned "linking" is a problem for you?
So, why don't you link the channels (there are plenty of options to only link a few parameters) to rec-arm your tracks.

Fredo
Because with Linking - with respect to ANY of these functions (Rec, Mute, Solo, Select, Monitor) - when you select or Rec Arm ANY of the channels they all become selected, armed, whatever.

The point is to be able to do this individually for each member channel or Globally using the VCA master.

Hugh
You could hold ALT and perform the function you desire, temporarily disabling (overriding) the linking... ? Any good for you..?
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

Puma0382 wrote:
HughH wrote:
Fredo wrote:

Fredo

Hugh
You could hold ALT and perform the function you desire, temporarily disabling (overriding) the linking... ? Any good for you..?
We're getting pretty far from the point now.
Nuendo 10.2.2 build 396 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

stingray

Post by stingray »

ErikG wrote:I would also like to say that the place aren't of VCAs in the rack is a really bad idea.
Whenever you work with channels that are controlled or linked you need to see that at a glance.
So unless steinberg makes it possible to move the VCAs to the bottom and force them to stay open, then it has some rather serious usability issues still.
Agree. VCAs in the rack is not very practical. It's often difficult to see at a glance what is going on. Pinning the VCAs to the bottom of the rack would help but IMO they belong in the fader section.

ErikG

Post by ErikG »

Yep. I fully agree Stingray.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

Return to “General”