Logical Editor, Select Top Notes In Chord

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
audiohead75

Logical Editor, Select Top Notes In Chord

Post by audiohead75 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:39 am

Hi, I'm trying to set up a logical editor patch to select the top notes in a chord. In the screenshot, I have the logical editor showing how to select the bottom note, 0. You can set it to 2, and it will select 2 notes up from the bottom, but won't select the top note in the chord if there are 4 notes in the chord, where you have a mix of 3 and 4 note chords, etc. I tried selecting soprano, but that doesn't seem to work. Selecting highest note will select the highest note in the region, that doesn't help me either.

Please help.

https://imageshack.com/i/plwPJGRFp
OSX 10.12.6
Cubase Pro 10.0.3
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.0.15864
2 x 3.46 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB RAM

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Logical Editor, Select Top Notes In Chord

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi,

There is a build-in Logical Editor preset: Musical Context > Select Highest Pitch. Doesn't it work to you?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

audiohead75

Post by audiohead75 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm

No, as stated in the orignal post, "Selecting highest pitch will select the highest note in the region, that doesn't help me either." It doesn't select the top notes in the chords, just the highest pitches in the midi region. So if the chord changes, and the top note of the chord is no longer the highest pitch in the region, it wont be selected.

Thanks for trying.
OSX 10.12.6
Cubase Pro 10.0.3
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.0.15864
2 x 3.46 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB RAM

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm

audiohead75 wrote:Hi, I'm trying to set up a logical editor patch to select the top notes in a chord. In the screenshot, I have the logical editor showing how to select the bottom note, 0. You can set it to 2, and it will select 2 notes up from the bottom, but won't select the top note in the chord if there are 4 notes in the chord, where you have a mix of 3 and 4 note chords, etc. I tried selecting soprano, but that doesn't seem to work. Selecting highest note will select the highest note in the region, that doesn't help me either.

Please help.

https://imageshack.com/i/plwPJGRFp
You are correct, notes within chords can only be selected by their relative position to the bottom note. This works fine if all the chords have the same number of notes in them but not if they don't. I've never found a workaround for this. Maybe you'd want to make a feature request to be able to select relative to the top note.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.30, Win7 Home Premium 64bit (downgraded after disastrous Win10 upgrade), Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 am

audiohead75 wrote:No, as stated in the orignal post, "Selecting highest pitch will select the highest note in the region, that doesn't help me either." It doesn't select the top notes in the chords, just the highest pitches in the midi region. So if the chord changes, and the top note of the chord is no longer the highest pitch in the region, it wont be selected.

Thanks for trying.
I'm sorry, I always forget it works this way. :-/
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

evancharles84

Post by evancharles84 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:37 pm

I have a solution for you two years later :P

In the logical editor, the following will get you a note within a chord which is close to what you're after:

//////Line 1

(
Position
Inside Bar Range
[max]
{select the entire bar range}
AND

//////Line 2
Context Variable
Bigger or Equal
Note Number in Chord
2 //This selects the third note within a chord
)

A more complex arrangement can be structured based on the number of notes within a chord that select based on OR operators.

Return to “General”