Change project folder in pool

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
dominic4500

Re: Change project folder in pool

Post by dominic4500 »

randiebam wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 am
Ultimate solution:

We assume that you already saved your project in a new folder but the audio and project folder are still at the old location

Step 1:
Save and close the project. Rename the new project folder to something slightly different, doesn't matter what.
Step 2:
Open the project from the new folder again. It'll ask you to assign a new project folder. Select the one you want to be the actual project folder.
Step 3:
Save and close the project. Move the audio files from the old folder to the new one (where you first need to create an 'Audio' folder). Or copy them over there. It's just important that the ones in the old folder aren't there anymore.
Step 4: Re-open your project. It'll be like "????? where da files man" and then you can select your new audio folder with the 'Folder' button.

After that you just change the name of your new folder back to the actual one and you're fine. :) Hope it helps!

Cubase is dissapointing on that end. Sure one can do it that way. But that doesn't solve the problem at all.
If you want to record new stuff in the project, guess where it will be saved.
Every programm is able to change directory. Cubase not? Why?! :roll:

lahatte

Post by lahatte »

I HATE the way Cubase does this. Every other piece of software creates your project, in its entirety, in a new location when you "Save As".
It is absurd that Cubase calls this "Backup", when that isn't the actual purpose. BACKUP IS FOR ARCHIVING/SAFE-KEEPING, not for saving a new project from an existing one.

I suspect this is some screwed up Mac way of thinking. I still sometimes loose work because of this nonsense way of naming things.

I am currently going through some projects to make sure the pool is actually in my project folder, and NOT in "Untitled23", or what ever. Because guess what happens when I delete all those "Untitled" folders... Some of my work will be lost. Did I put those files there? NO.
Cubase, Windows 10, 64Gb RAM

lahatte

Post by lahatte »

FYI for those that get their project files scattered by Cubase... Basically, if you don't see an "Audio" folder in your project folder, then Cubase has written one somewhere else. If the path isn't too long you can see it by looking at Project menu, Pool.

What I am doing to fix it...

This will work if you only have one version of your project in the project folder (not multiple Cubase Project .cpr files). If that is not the case, you will have to do this for each of the project files that you want to reference the audio pool in your actual project folder.

1) Rename the project folder of interest with an underscore at the end.
2) Create a new folder with the same name as the project folder, minus the underscore. Of course, you can make it a different name if you like.
3) Go into the underscore folder and open the cpr file for your project, which opens it in Cubase.
4) Cubase will ask for the project folder. Specify the same underscore folder (as in step 1) from which you just opened the project file.
5) In Cubase, under File menu, choose "Back up Project".
6) Select the newly created folder you made in step 2. Cubase will save the project there, including the Audio Pool folder for the project.

Again, THIS SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY.
Cubase, Windows 10, 64Gb RAM

LennyNY

Post by LennyNY »

Here's what I did in Cubase 10 when I discovered that all the Pool files in a project had somehow been created in a folder rather than the folder in which the project was located. They'd been created in a default folder on a different volume. I have no idea how this happened; usually my Pool files are all in the Audio folder inside the project folder, unless I've specifically set it up differently for some reason (don't think I ever have).

I closed the project in Cubase, then on the computer Desktop copied all the files from the incorrect default folder where they'd been placed to the Audio folder in the project folder, where I wanted them. I then re-opened the project in Cubase, & it prompted me that it couldn't find the audio files in their previous location & offered to run a search for the files. I specified the proper project folder as the search folder, clicked Start, & it located all the files in the Audio folder where I'd placed them (if I hadn't placed the original files in the Trash it wouldn't have looked for the new location). The files all appeared in the Pool, listed under their new locations.

This was in Cubase LE/AI 10, Mac OS 10.14.6, but as far as I know, this portion of the Cubase user interface operates the same way in Windows, so I don't see why it wouldn't work there too.

Return to “General”