Converting Stereo Tracks To Mono

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
WW Audio

Converting Stereo Tracks To Mono

Post by WW Audio » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:00 pm

New Cubase user here. I've had Cubase 8 Pro (8.0.20 on a Windows 7 box) running for the past few weeks and really digging it so far - lots to learn but I'm looking forward to taking advantage of its full capabilities.

I'm importing some stereo WAV files from an old project and DAW (AcidPro 7) and attempting some remixes. I'd like to convert the files from stereo to mono and have figured that out part out I think - Project > Pool > select the files > right click > Convert Files > then in the Convert Options box I select Mono for the Channels setting. I also chose the Replace Files in the Options drop down box. After clicking OK and getting the message that this operation can't be undone, Cubase appears to process the files correctly - the waveforms are redrawn from the old dual stereo into a single mono waveform. So far, so good.

However, when playing the project after this conversion, I'm still hearing every track as stereo. Pretty sure I'm missing a step somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks.

stingray

Re: Converting Stereo Tracks To Mono

Post by stingray » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:08 am

WW Audio wrote:However, when playing the project after this conversion, I'm still hearing every track as stereo. Pretty sure I'm missing a step somewhere. Any ideas?
If you play a coverted mono clip from within the Pool window you will certainly be listening to a mono audio file.

Do the events in the project correctly reference the ciips you converted to mono? Do you see a mono waveform in the event in the project window? Is the mono event on a mono track?

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am

Hi and welcome,

First, I would recommend to duplicate the file first, to keep your original stereo file. Then once you convert it, I would recommend to add a Mono Audio track, and put this new Mono file to the Mono track.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

JT3Jon

Post by JT3Jon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 am

Just for my own knowledge, does this process collapse stereo tracks to mono? Or is it splitting the track as L & R? Or is there options for both?
Cubase 9.5.41 OS10.12.6 MacPro 12-core 3.33Ghz, 64GB RAM, UA Apollo

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:56 am

No, the track is still Stereo. Cubase can't convert track formats at all.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Go to vst connections (F4), and make a mono bus, do not connect it to your sound card, and name it something you can remember. Now take your stereo track and select it's Output to that mono bus. Now you can do a Render In Place on that track, and it will be rendered as a mono track. Reassign the output bus back, afterwards. Sounds cumbersome but it's really fast, once you have tried it a few times.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 am

You can also go to the file menu and export the wave as a mono file, it will add a new track to your project and place the new file in it, but that method does drop the level somewhat during the process though so you'd more likely want to normalise it as well once it's done.
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Outsounder wrote:You can also go to the file menu and export the wave as a mono file, it will add a new track to your project and place the new file in it, but that method does drop the level somewhat during the process though so you'd more likely want to normalise it as well once it's done.
You have to set it up in the Export Audio Mixdown window, to import the exported file back to the project. Which could be confusing, when you want to do a "normal" export later on.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Buyaicia

Post by Buyaicia » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:39 pm

Importing stereo audio files into Cubase you can set the checkbox "Split Channels" and then click "Different tracks" to get one track for each audo channel. This works with audio files with more than 2 channels too.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:15 pm

peakae wrote:Go to vst connections (F4), and make a mono bus, do not connect it to your sound card, and name it something you can remember. Now take your stereo track and select it's Output to that mono bus. Now you can do a Render In Place on that track, and it will be rendered as a mono track. Reassign the output bus back, afterwards. Sounds cumbersome but it's really fast, once you have tried it a few times.
There is one important trick, you always have to take care, for this one. In the Render Tracks dialog, make sure, you set Complete Signal Path, or bellow. If you set something above, then this doesn't work.

But I like this one, in general.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 23.15.07.png
(55.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

ovonisamja

Post by ovonisamja » Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 pm

NEED a QUICK OPTION for CONVERTING STEREO events to separate MONO.

It should be under the process menu.

Also NEED CLEAR visual INDICATION of TRACKs if they are stereo or mono or whatever.
I never seem to know if a track is stereo or mono. I'm not talking about events but the tracks themselves which hold events on it.

Also NEED POLARITY FLIP option for each of the STEREO sides SEPARATELY.

It should also be in the process menu.

(Sorry for sounding like a cave man lol). I think the massage is clear in case someone from Steinberg will stumble upon this.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon May 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Hi,

For converting, you can use the method mentioned above. Assign your own KeyCommands.

The most clear indication of Mono/Stereo track is in the MixConsole, bellow the name of the track, for myself.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

BaseCu

Post by BaseCu » Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote: The most clear indication of Mono/Stereo track is in the MixConsole, bellow the name of the track, for myself.
Yes...two small overlapping circles = stereo; one small circle = mono.
Studio One, Reaper, Sonar, Cubase | Win10 | i7 8750H/16 GB | RME Fireface UCX

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Mon May 09, 2016 10:53 pm

The same stereo/mono symbol is also next to the edit button in the track list in the arrange window.
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

pumafred

Post by pumafred » Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:There is one important trick, you always have to take care, for this one. In the Render Tracks dialog, make sure, you set Complete Signal Path, or bellow. If you set something above, then this doesn't work. But I like this one, in general.
In this case you would have to remove any inserts, right? Otherwise they will also be rendered.
Relatedly, do I have to set the gain fader to zero in that track before rendering it?
Cubase Pro 10 | Windows 10 Pro 16gb i7-3770 64-bit | RME Fireface UCX | Nektar Panorama P1 | Akai Pro Advance 49 | Other Steinberg products: Halion Sonic 2 & Padshop Pro

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi,

You can bypass all Inserts at once.

Yes, Fader is also rendered in this case.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

steedjr

Post by steedjr » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:52 am

How about: Inserts -> Spatial -> Stereo to Mono -> Click the Mono option?

Have you tried it? I used to do that when I import a Stereo track and wanted it to be a Mono track..

Hope it helps.. :D

Anyway, I'm a beginner.. XD

limfrog1004

Post by limfrog1004 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 pm

If you do this : Project > Pool > select the files > right click > Convert Files > then in the Convert Options box I select Mono for the Channels setting
then Cubase don't convert your stereo clip, but it make another mono track. Find bottom of your media pool.

stingray

Post by stingray » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm

That always creates a mono clip and depends on how you set the options field (new, replace or new + replace). See p.549 of manual.

Return to “General”