CP8's disgusting performance..? fixed with updates

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
smapmap

Re: CP8's disgusting performance..?

Post by smapmap » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am

Hard page faults should be ok. If all the others indicators are green then it sounds like your drivers are cool. :D

Some other suggestions

- I'd try doing a registry clean - with https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/registry-cleaner
- defrag your disks
- maybe try swapping your interface into a different port if possible as this may re-instantiate the driver properly
- are there are programs running in the background which could be using up resources? Be worth checking your startup programs as some of these may be using up your system resources.

cheers
Software: Cubase 10.0.20, Nektar Panorama P1, Studio One 4.5, Sonar Platinum, Alloy 2, Trash 2, Ozone 8, Neutron 3, Komplete 12, Fabfilter Timeless 2, Fabfilter Saturn, FabFilter ProQ3, FabFilter Pro-R, Valhalla Room, Lounge Lizard 4, Output Signal, Output Rev, Output Exhale, Output Movement, Output Substance, Output Analog Strings, Tassman 4, Z3ta 2, Z3ta+, Dimension Pro, Rapture, BFD3, Studio Drummer 3, Sonitus Plugs

Outboard: HP Z420 workstation, Xeon CPU, 40 Gig RAM, 3x1TB Barracuda HD 7200rpm, Roland GR55 guitar synth, Roland VG99, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface at 24/48, AKAI EIE Audio Interace (24/48), Focusrite Penta optical Compressor, Samson Servo Amp, Tannoy Reveal speakers, SP C1 Mic, Roland KC350 Amp, Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage, Fender US Strat Deluxe, Soundcraft Spirit EPM8. Boss SE70, Boss DR5, Akai MPK88

www.michaeldoris.com

smapmap

Post by smapmap » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:43 am

the other thing worth trying is removing and re-adding in any VST fx and synths. Sometimes the issues come from these and is fixed when you re-insert them. I've had a similar experience with a project started in 7.5 - seemed to cure it.
Software: Cubase 10.0.20, Nektar Panorama P1, Studio One 4.5, Sonar Platinum, Alloy 2, Trash 2, Ozone 8, Neutron 3, Komplete 12, Fabfilter Timeless 2, Fabfilter Saturn, FabFilter ProQ3, FabFilter Pro-R, Valhalla Room, Lounge Lizard 4, Output Signal, Output Rev, Output Exhale, Output Movement, Output Substance, Output Analog Strings, Tassman 4, Z3ta 2, Z3ta+, Dimension Pro, Rapture, BFD3, Studio Drummer 3, Sonitus Plugs

Outboard: HP Z420 workstation, Xeon CPU, 40 Gig RAM, 3x1TB Barracuda HD 7200rpm, Roland GR55 guitar synth, Roland VG99, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface at 24/48, AKAI EIE Audio Interace (24/48), Focusrite Penta optical Compressor, Samson Servo Amp, Tannoy Reveal speakers, SP C1 Mic, Roland KC350 Amp, Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage, Fender US Strat Deluxe, Soundcraft Spirit EPM8. Boss SE70, Boss DR5, Akai MPK88

www.michaeldoris.com

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Hi Kevin - you said you have the luxury of testing the same project in other DAWS, so one way to move forward if you otherwise want to keep using Cubase might be to just turn off the meter and wait until you have an actual performance issue there.

Then try the project in your other sequencer (Presonus, Reason, Protools, etc.), and compare how the project plays there.

It's certainly possible that Cubase will have the best performance despite the red meter, and if not you won't be in the dark as much about your choices.
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi Guy's..believe it or not I have done all of the above more than ''quite a few times''
I use Glary utilities and Ccleaner and Advanced system care, there is nothing in the start up menu that doesn't need to be there and background progs are at the absolute minimum, I've followed and double checked Steinberg's recommendations on setting my puter up..it's just so damn annoying watching this meter max out all the time...

it is telling me cubase can't handle the project..is it not? or is it just so badly set up (Cubase , that is ) that it just doesn't know what the heck it's doing..

Can anyone answer the question that I keep asking..if I turn ASIO guard off should I be getting humongous distortion ?

I thank you all for your help and wish you all well,

I will be using Cubase of course but this has made me look at other DAW's and I'm quite enamored with Mixbus 3..it's really nice to use, it doesn't have a lot of the stuff C8 has but I don't need all the bloat really...

yeah..I know, I should not have updated from 6.5, tried going back there but it's hard to go back..would miss the plugin manager for one..If I'd stayed at 6.5 ignorance would have been bliss..

cheers, Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

smapmap

Post by smapmap » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Such a strange problem - your PC should be able to run a project of that size in it's sleep :D and it sounds as though you've checked out all the things I would have checked. 8-)
All I see when I turn off ASIO guard is an increase in CPU utilisation - nothing else. How are the disk meters - are they maxing out or anything or is all the load on the CPU? ASIO guard doesn't like latency set too high in mt experience. What happens if you drop this right down to 64 or 128 (I know this sounds counter intuitive!!) :mrgreen:

The only other things I can suggest would be
- What plugins are you using out of interest? Are you using any 32 bit plugs? These can cause havoc with bit bridge and can make Cubase unstable. I've had to move lock stock and barrel to 64bit
- I presume you have disabled each instrument and plugin one by one to see if they are causing the issue
- I notice you've got 2 SDD in your machine and a load of memory - have you checked to make sure this is installed correctly. Sometime you can see weird issues when memory slots are not mirrored and populated in the right order, same for the drives.

cheers
Michael

www.michaeldoris.com

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:45 pm

shadowfax wrote:...

it is telling me cubase can't handle the project..is it not? ...

cheers, Kevin
That is actually your call, not Cubase's. Is your project crashing, stuttering, or otherwise behaving in a way that tells you Cubase can't handle the project?

"Nothing is perfect" and if your project behaves well and the worst thing you have is a red meter crying wolf, that's pretty good!

My background on this is small projects that not infrequently show brief performance meter surges to the max, without actual performance being affected. So I've learned to just ignore that meter as long as everything else is working well.
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:55 pm

alexis wrote:
shadowfax wrote:...

it is telling me cubase can't handle the project..is it not? ...

cheers, Kevin
That is actually your call, not Cubase's. Is your project crashing, stuttering, or otherwise behaving in a way that tells you Cubase can't handle the project?

"Nothing is perfect" and if your project behaves well and the worst thing you have is a red meter crying wolf, that's pretty good!

My background on this is small projects that not infrequently show brief performance meter surges to the max, without actual performance being affected. So I've learned to just ignore that meter as long as everything else is working well.

Hi I take your point and will be doing this in future (ignoring it, that is)..just seems weird...what the heck is it there for then?
I'll hide and just wait until I see smoke.. :lol: :lol:
my projects run OK so far..

best to you and thanks again..Kevin
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:16 pm

A good thing to try is trashing your preferences (I usually back the folder up first so I can copy back key commands, templates etc.).
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 9.5.10 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 7 64bit, I5 3450,16 gb ram, VEPro.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:29 pm

beatpete wrote:A good thing to try is trashing your preferences (I usually back the folder up first so I can copy back key commands, templates etc.).

Hi..I haven't got any preferences..non, got sick of losing them every time I update, yeah, you got it..I'm not to clever with puters :oops: :oops: :oops: :) :)

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Have a look at my post here:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 50#p475090
Worth a try
Intel i5 7500/ Asus Z270-K/Built in Intel display with 3 monitors
Sound Card Behringer XR18
Windows 10 64
Cubase 9.5.21 Lots of Vintage Marshalls

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:43 pm

shadowfax wrote:
beatpete wrote:A good thing to try is trashing your preferences (I usually back the folder up first so I can copy back key commands, templates etc.).

Hi..I haven't got any preferences..non, got sick of losing them every time I update, yeah, you got it..I'm not to clever with puters :oops: :oops: :oops: :) :)
The point there is that if you don't trash your preferences of older versions after install of newer version of Cubase, it may try to use old settings that corrupt the new version.

It happened to me. I had to delete all preferences from C6 and C7 before C8 ran right.

May not be your particular issue but it is possible and worth trying. :)
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:35 am

jimmys69 wrote:
shadowfax wrote:

The point there is that if you don't trash your preferences of older versions after install of newer version of Cubase, it may try to use old settings that corrupt the new version.

It happened to me. I had to delete all preferences from C6 and C7 before C8 ran right.

May not be your particular issue but it is possible and worth trying. :)
Hi Jimmy, I thought I had to make some pref's before I actually had any..is this not so?
when I re installed my C8 I did it after a clean re install of Windows 7..would this not get rid of any pref's..

if not, how do I delete pref's please?

thanks for your input.. :)

Kevin

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:45 am

I followed the Steinberg instructions to delete pref's but I don't seem to have a preferences folder...

:?: :?: :?:

I've got a preferences XML document though..do I delete this?

matjones

Post by matjones » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:39 am

Delete this folder..... or for safety if you feel like it cut and paste it somewhere else...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 8_64

Cubase will create a new one next time you run it but you will need to rebuild your own personal prefs.
Cubase 10.0.40 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ 3.7GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Asus RX 570, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 10, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC7, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:59 am

matjones wrote:Delete this folder..... or for safety if you feel like it cut and paste it somewhere else...

Cubase will create a new one next time you run it but you will need to rebuild your own personal prefs.
Just did this and made no discernible difference, thanks for the input though..I still think it's just cubase not working properly..I could not possibly do any more than I've already done..more than once..

so was that the preferences folder?

cheers, Kevin

matjones

Post by matjones » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:06 am

shadowfax wrote:
matjones wrote:Delete this folder..... or for safety if you feel like it cut and paste it somewhere else...

Just did this and made no discernible difference, thanks for the input though..I still think it's just cubase not working properly..I could not possibly do any more than I've already done..more than once..

so was that the preferences folder?

cheers, Kevin
Yes mate it is....

Fwiw reading through some of your woes... i do feel for you bro cos C7 was a NIGHTMARE for me, but i do feel that your issues are either hardware or config related after getting a new machine myself most of the issues i was having disappeared.......
Cubase 10.0.40 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ 3.7GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Asus RX 570, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 10, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC7, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:08 am

Buzz wrote:Have a look at my post here:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 50#p475090
Worth a try

Hi, I have no idea how to apply the regedit you mention..what do I do? copy and paste it into the registry..but where?

cheers, Kevin

OK, I got to Steinberg Cubase 8 64 bit in the registry but where do I put "GraphicsAcceleration"=dword:00000000
please, I'm thinking it goes in the field on the right but want to be sure...never done this stuff before..

Kevin

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:03 am

Shadow, are you using Waves plugins in the project? If so, you can try their "no context sharing" fix to see if it helps. It's easy to try.

viewtopic.php?f=226&t=78084#p446640

My other suggestion is to create the exact same project (and I mean exact), with same busses, fx, etc. between Studio One and Cubase. With no detail missed. Even a single channel or insert different between the two could show one DAW as not maxing and the other as being maxed out.

Also, make sure your audio interface driver's buffer is set the same between the two (for apples to apples).

I did this a few years ago in a massive shootout between Reaper, Cubase, Studio One and Sonar. Studio One performed worse in my use-cases, compared to Cubase and this was before ASIO Guard (which improves Cubase even more).

After doing all that, if you're seeing Studio One doing much better than Cubase on the same project, then something is probably wrong and needs narrowing down, because Cubase should be doing equal or better than Studio One.

In fact, there are some complaining on the Presonus forum that Studio One v3 is doing even worse than v2. I have v3, but have not run my tests on it yet, so I can't confirm.

This is not true with Reaper, however. Reaper will do better than any other DAW, performance-wise, by a huge margin. They've got some blackmagic under the hood. So testing against Reaper will not be a very useful test.

Also, don't be put-off by the ASIO Guard name. It's just what Steinberg is calling their approach to the "hybrid audio engine" which is something Reaper and Logic have had for years.
http://soundcloud.com/jalcide

4 DAW Network:

Main: Studio One V3 (Cubase Pro 9.0.1 on ice until future update solves some issues), Win 7 64-bit, i7-4790K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Maximus VI Gene Z87 mATX, 16GB, EVGA GTX 760, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on a Vantect FireWire 400 PCIe (UGT-FW200), CMC Controllers (2 FDs, PD, QC, CH, AI, TP), 2 NI Kontrol F1 Controllers, Roland JD-Xi, rtpMIDI, Bome MIDI Translator Pro

Node 1 - VSTi Hosting via VEP: VEP 6 (& Sonar Platinum), Win 7, i7-4770K @ 4.0Ghz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, NI Kore 1 Controller, rtpMIDI

Node 2 - 16 Channel Stem Summing via VEP: VEP 6, Win 10, i5-4690K 3.9Ghz, Gigabyte Z97MX, 16GB, Intel HD 4600 Gfx, rtpMIDI

Node 3 - 2 Channel Mastering Chain via ADAT Optical: Reaper, Win 7, i5-4670K @ 4.1GHz, Asrock Pro 3 ATX, 16GB, Nvidia GeForce 210, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, rtpMIDI

KDEF2004

Post by KDEF2004 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:35 am

I'm curious to know what plugins and fx is the OP actually using...
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Beringer UMC404HD, Cubase 10.5, Wavelab 10.0.10, Specttralayers 6, Pro, Reason 11 Suite,HSO 1.5 VSTI'S & FX'S

https://www.instagram.com/djkdef/

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:39 am

shadowfax wrote: the Beatles did 'Pepper' with 4 tracks I believe (or maybe it was 8) so I reckon I should be able to manage a song with 30 or so..
I don't know much about the Beatles but I believe it might of been 2 4 tracks but what people forgets is... There will have been bounces so likely way more than 4 tracks, theoretically (CAN'T THINK OF THE RIGHT WORD).
W10, CP10, i7 9700k OC 5.0, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, AC-1 Carillon Case, Be Quiet SP11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

DaveAbbott

Post by DaveAbbott » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:21 am

Hi Shadow

One more thing go check is a bug bear of mine cos it happened to me a couple of years back. It is worth downloading a (free) CPU temperature monitor and seeing that the CPU isn't getting too hot. It caused some REALLY strange behaviour in my case. Probably not that but,, worth checking anyway!

Best Regards

Dave
Dave Abbott
Entertainer | Musician | Producer
cricket@iafrica.com

Computer i7 3 Ghz CPU, Intel Mobo, DX58SO, 12Gig DDR1600 RAM, System Drive 64 Gig SSD + 480 Gig SSD sample drive + 3 x 1TB recording and sample drives.
Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, Cubase 10 Pro, Wavelab 9.5, NI Komplete Ultimate, UAD, Waves, and various other plugs
Interface: Steinberg UR824 with Focusrite ISA One, Focusrite Octopre, Cubase Elements 8.5 with Focusrite 18i8 on spare machine. Cubase Elements 9.5 with Focusrite 18i8 on Stage Laptop (Dell 6430 i7 with 8gig RAM)
Korg Taktile 49 Controller Steinberg CC121 Controller

Rule 1: Have Fun! Rule 2: It's Not Serious! Rule 3: When in doubt refer to Rule 1!!

Buzz

Post by Buzz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:50 am

Kevin - here is how to do it - mostly copied from ggc's initial post:

Windows:
GOTO: Registry Editor.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH\Steinberg Cubase 8 64bit
Right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name it GraphicsAcceleration and ensure its value is set to 0.
Intel i5 7500/ Asus Z270-K/Built in Intel display with 3 monitors
Sound Card Behringer XR18
Windows 10 64
Cubase 9.5.21 Lots of Vintage Marshalls

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:18 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
shadowfax wrote: the Beatles did 'Pepper' with 4 tracks I believe (or maybe it was 8) so I reckon I should be able to manage a song with 30 or so..
I don't know much about the Beatles but I believe it might of been 2 4 tracks but what people forgets is... There will have been bounces so likely way more than 4 tracks, theoretically (CAN'T THINK OF THE RIGHT WORD).

Yes of course they bounced tracks...I recently produced a song using only 4 tracks (as an experiment) and bouncing when needed..it gets quite complicated..

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:20 am

DaveAbbott wrote:Hi Shadow

One more thing go check is a bug bear of mine cos it happened to me a couple of years back. It is worth downloading a (free) CPU temperature monitor and seeing that the CPU isn't getting too hot. It caused some REALLY strange behaviour in my case. Probably not that but,, worth checking anyway!

Best Regards

Dave
Hi, I've got all that stuff with my Fatal1ty motherboard and it shows no probs..

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:22 am

KDEF2004 wrote:I'm curious to know what plugins and fx is the OP actually using...
Valhalla verb and all plugins are cubase's own..

Return to “General”