Normalization TIPS Please

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
jesse247

Normalization TIPS Please

Post by jesse247 »

Hello Forum,
Please Help... I would like to learn the best way to go about "normalizing" my mix's in Cubase 8.

1. Do you Bounce Final mix back into your project and then Normalize it, and then Re-export again?

2. If you Normalize a file does it Render the hard copy in the "Project folder-audio" ?

any advice would be appreciated
thanks
Intel Core i7-3820 CPU@3.6GHz
16GB RAM 64Bit
RME FireFace 800

Parrotspain

Re: Normalization TIPS Please

Post by Parrotspain »

1. I prefer to put a Limiter in the output inserts and also adjust levels by using the gain trim. This is because I work within Cubase at a conservative level. I then watch metering carefully and get the final output level where I want it to be. Then render.

2 You have a choice when rendering, you can select any path. I usually mixdown to Desktop. If I am rendering and re-inserting into project, then I am careful to check that I have changed the path to the right location.
Cubase Pro 10.5.12

Win10 Home 64. Biostar A960D+ AMD FX8350. 32Gb.
Softube Console 1 Mk2: SSL4000e, BCA, ACA, Faderport

Elien

Post by Elien »

Hi you,

I never normalize using the normalize function. The reason is - Independent of cubase - that normalisation is usually not really what you Need in order to adjust the Overall volume of a track.

I dont want to get into Detail too much here, i advise to read some articles about mastering. This will not bring us/you to a Level of "mastering" but help to understand how to achieve volume and Dynamics.

HTH

Ernst
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Elien wrote:Hi you,

I never normalize using the normalize function. The reason is - Independent of cubase - that normalisation is usually not really what you Need in order to adjust the Overall volume of a track.

I dont want to get into Detail too much here, i advise to read some articles about mastering. This will not bring us/you to a Level of "mastering" but help to understand how to achieve volume and Dynamics.

HTH

Ernst
+1

Avoid normalizing, it just sets your audio up to get clipped by something once it's out in the wild. Use a limiter (brickwall maybe) as the last plug on your output (or just before dithering if you are doing that at this stage) to give yourself a bit of leeway from maxing out the signal. Judiciously use compressors on individual tracks, groups, and the output to increase the loudness. Google "audio volume and loudness" to read up on the differences between the two. I think Cubase has a video about the Loudness Meter (but not certain).

Normalizing is like wearing a pair of pants that you can just barely squeeze into vs. a pair that has a bit of room in the waist. One of those is going to make it a lot easier to bend down and tie your shoes.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

chikitin

Post by chikitin »

raino wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:25 pm
I think Cubase has a video about the Loudness Meter (but not certain).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhgwbbV8QLU
MacBook Pro & iMac, 16GB RAM SSD 1 TB, Cubase Pro the latest w/ two external 32" Monitors
Surround configuration with subwoofer.
Dorico 3.5, Finale, VST Connect Pro, NI Komplete 5, EWQLSO, HSO, GA 5
Synths: Yamaha PSR-A3000, Roland Fantom XR
Interface: Steinberg MR-816CSX, UR 22 mkII
Effects: Rocktron DSP, Lexicon MPX 550
Controller: Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX25,49,88, Korg Nano Kontrol, Boss RC 300, Yamaha MFC 10, CMC-PD

Return to “General”