Disk Overload Error Audio Export?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
matjones

Re: Disk Overload Error Audio Export?

Post by matjones »

Ok just had this issue again..... BUT i was trying to export from the very start of the first event in the project.... set the left marker two beats earlier than before and BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems i've found the answer for my own particular issue... if you haven't tried it already give it a go!
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

Swurveman

Post by Swurveman »

Brian Roland wrote:I had something similar to this:

The short version:
Bad SSD drives!
If you have SSD, no matter what brand/model...check for firmware/driver updates and make sure your rig is optimized for them! (Cache sizes, over-provision area, proper AHCI drivers, OS indexing options, etc)
Thanks for your informative post Brian.

However, in my case Pro Tools 11 never has trouble with mixdown, while Cubase 8 Pro does. So, unless Pro Tools and my SSD's interact differently than Cubase 8 Pro's and my SSD's, I don't see how my SSD's are the issue. If you can explain otherwise, I'd appreciate it!
Cubase 10 Pro, Windows 10 , Intel Core i7 CPU, 950 @ 3.07 GHz, 16 GB RAM, , ATI RADEON 5450 Video Card 1GB - Dual DVI, 750GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (OS), 2 x 1TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 64mb cache Hard Drive (Media), Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R LGA1366 socket motherboard for Intel® Core™ i7 processor family. Lynx Aurora 16, RME HDSPe

barryfell

Post by barryfell »

matjones wrote:Ok just had this issue again..... BUT i was trying to export from the very start of the first event in the project.... set the left marker two beats earlier than before and BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems i've found the answer for my own particular issue... if you haven't tried it already give it a go!
Nice one! This is working for me too. :D I had to pull it back about 4 bars though.
Windows 10 / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64

matjones

Post by matjones »

Superb!

Glad it worked for you too! :D
Cubase 10.5.12 Asus Z390-Plus, i9 9900 @ (3.7) 5GHz, 64GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel/Fusion, UAD2 Octo/Solo/Quad, UA6176, Neve 8801/8803, Loads of plugs, WL10, Melodyne Studio 5, Arturia VC7, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, Austrian Audio, Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

Brian Roland

Post by Brian Roland »

Swurveman wrote:
Brian Roland wrote:I had something similar to this:

The short version:
Bad SSD drives!
If you have SSD, no matter what brand/model...check for firmware/driver updates and make sure your rig is optimized for them! (Cache sizes, over-provision area, proper AHCI drivers, OS indexing options, etc)
Thanks for your informative post Brian.

However, in my case Pro Tools 11 never has trouble with mixdown, while Cubase 8 Pro does. So, unless Pro Tools and my SSD's interact differently than Cubase 8 Pro's and my SSD's, I don't see how my SSD's are the issue. If you can explain otherwise, I'd appreciate it!
I honestly don't know if that's your issue, and I have no clue where 'fault' lay. I'm responding because I did see some of the error messages reported in this thread with the PNY drives.

In my case, getting all streaming files and system page-files off the PNY drives fixed things...and it took me a while to track it down. I was so in denial about the drives being my issue, that I even purchased other host controllers to try them on, and revived a stashed away Core Duo rig to run tests, etc. (I needed the extra hosts anyway). My Samsung 830 and 840 model drives work great. In hindsight, I wish I'd tried a different/fresh hard drive right away before I tried some of the more involved trouble shooting steps that I put myself through.

For others, it could be something else. Maybe a sound card...maybe a video card. It can be really frustrating to track it down.

I've learned a bit more about how to trouble shoot these sorts of things now (what logs to look for, how to open them and interpret them), so that's good. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.

One plugin that really tipped me off to my issue was Plogue's free sforzando sfz player. That particular plugin was ultra sensitive to disk loss errors, and it has a pretty informative log system...both in the UI itself, and the ARIA engine also has a nice app hidden away in its main installation directory that'll generate quite helpful debug logs.

On my system I did have problems with apps besides CuBase. With Avid's Sibelius 7.5, and the bad drives, I had to use ASIO buffers in excess of 1meg to able to use VSTi plugins at all! In some apps or plugins, the glitches were less obvious, but in checking all the logs from the different VSTi and DAW systems they were indeed reporting disk loss and overrun errors. Several of my VSTi's would pop and crackle no matter what I attempted to host them in. Some VSTi plugins (those more reliant on live streaming rather than putting more samples into memory) were far more sensitive to the issue than others.

Just my experience. Found a hardware issue...got rid of it, and now I'm plugging along with no more spikes, way improved audio performance, and 6ms latency and able to manage up to 40 processor intensive VSTi tracks plus 6 to 8 audio tracks on an ancient AMD Phenom II rig before I have to start rendering some of the VSTi tracks down to pure audio.

If you happen to have a spare drive laying around, or are in need of some extra storage anyway, what would it hurt to give it a try?

LordNibbler

Post by LordNibbler »

Same problem here.

Disk overload error when exporting in realtime.

I see many solutions listed in the thread, many apply to hardware I don't have.

Situation is an export fails with a disk overload error when doing it in realtime but works fine when doing it in not-realtime. This seems illogical given the non-realtime export presumably is more intensive than the realtime export.

Has the issue been formally raised with Steinberg? Other than exporting from the beginning of the project, has anyone got a Cubase-specific method for dealing with this please?

i7 3Ghz
12GB RAM
GT 640 gfx
W7 x64
C7.5x64 C8 x64
Lynx ASIO

Chrisbeuermann

Post by Chrisbeuermann »

Hello,

I don't know regarding your HDD?

Cheers

VinnieD

Post by VinnieD »

Had this error last weekend too, could fortunately do an offline export, which worked. Have not tried moving startpoint back a couple of bars though...

Hope this gets addressed sometimes.
Cubase Pro 11 - HALion 6/ HALionsonic 3 - NeoSoul Keys - Absolute VST+ - Kick2 - Groove Agent 5 - Korg Legacy M1 - Komplete Ult 12 - Sylenth1 - BlueII - SubBoomBass2 - TAL-U-NO-LX - Cable Guys bundle - Diva
Win 10 (64b) - 32GB RAM - i7 6 core - NVidia Geforce GTX1050
Focusrite Scarlet 18/8 Mk3 - Yamaha H8 - Komplete Kontrol S88 - Machine Mk3 - Korg MS20 (Full Size Kit) - Behringer TB-03
iPad Air 2 - Cubasis 2 - Cubase IC Pro - Nanologue

TobyShark

Post by TobyShark »

make sure chrome is closed in the background.
usually it isn't cubase that is the issue with real-times, it's something being a processor hog in the background
tobyshark.com

LordNibbler

Post by LordNibbler »

Chris - the disks are normal HDDs, 7200 rpm on a hardware RAID 5 setup.

I actually think the disk overload message is not the correct error as the only time I get this error is when I am using MIDI and sometimes, it triggers exactly when a MIDI part starts. Additionally, if I do the export in non-realtime, the MIDI doesn't play back properly which is why I have to do it in realtime.

So my hunch with a bit of evidence comparing various projects in realtime export is that the real cause of the error is something in the MIDI processing.

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae »

I only experienced this twice. Once with a defective vsti that only allowed real time export.
And once then the project was set at 44.1khz and my soundcard somehow got stuck at 96khz.
Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Elements 9, I9 9900K , win10x64, 32Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

LordNibbler

Post by LordNibbler »

Your VSTi problem is another link confirming the suggestion this is really a MIDI problem and not a disk problem.

MHoughton

Post by MHoughton »

Just experienced this today on a very small project running a few audio sources through some outboard to test it. No more than ten tracks in total, running off HDD 7200rpm RAID that can handle lots more than this.

For me, the workaround was to start the bounce a bar before any audio commences. So I slipped back everything by one bar. Maybe that will work for others.

Bloody annoying though. Earlier, someone suggested upgrading graphics card drivers. Doing this for my ATI Radeon managed to screw up Windows Aero, so that no Aero theme could be selected. Which in turn meant Cubase 8 wouldn't load. In short, I've just wasted half a day trying to fix for this issue before meeting with only partial success. Not happy!

mbr

Post by mbr »

hmmm... :cry:

It happens here also out of the blue... :twisted:
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

RaGe

Post by RaGe »

Hey folks, experiencing the same issue here. Very frustrating as I have tried a couple of the proposed workarounds but to no avail.
I have been trying to open a ticket with Steinberg but even that is buggy ... The form asks me to choose a registered product but there is no drop down menu to chose from. Arghhhh!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 12.24.46 PM.png
(50.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cubase 6.5
OSX Yosemite Mac Pro 3,1 (2008)
Steinberg MR816X

RaGe

Post by RaGe »

So Cubase 9 is out. Anyone still having this bug?
Cubase 6.5
Steinberg MR816X

RaGe

Post by RaGe »

gently bumping this

it's a deal breaker for me if this persists in C9
Cubase 6.5
Steinberg MR816X

mbr

Post by mbr »

RaGe wrote:gently bumping this

it's a deal breaker for me if this persists in C9
Ditto !!!

BUMP
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

Melodylab

Post by Melodylab »

Confirming the same issues on Cubase 8, 8.5, and now 9. :evil:

Tried everything I can think of that was posted on the thread, it keeps coming up on the session.

Hope this can be addressed.

Thanks,

Andy

mixtur

Post by mixtur »

I have this problem from time to time and just wanted to share a few

- The issue is not only related to workload, my current project has one file and no plugins
- It´s not related to plugins, I've removed all plugins and it still overloads
- It''s not a system wide issue, all my other projects export just fine
- real-time or off-line doesn´t matter
- Changing the audio driver or asio guard settings has no impact.

Her´s a link to a video showing an overloaded export with only one file and no plugins:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar-i-nt5ZfsPgY1DBLT ... g?e=vhs0x3

I believe there are more than one issue that can trigger the overload condition, but it´s definitely a Cubase bug and not a general system issue.
This issue has in fact plagued Cubase for years.

I´m currently on Cubase Pro 10.00.50 btw

Nitesail

Post by Nitesail »

deselect "real-time" export

Return to “General”