Most frustating update - ever

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
electrow

Re: Most frustating update - ever

Post by electrow » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:53 pm

Who cares about whether someone decides to update,upgrade or "freeze" their system or drop computers entirely? What's the point relative to issues with Cubase 8?

DaveAbbott

Post by DaveAbbott » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:18 pm

My two cents

It's apparent that quite few people have issues with C8. It's also apparent that a lot don't, I downloaded it, installed it, copied the prefs over and had no issues at all, C7.5 files that were important, and I was working, on loaded fine, and I carried on seamlessly. The window thing is occasionally iffy, but not seriously so. It's perhaps important to find the the differences between those with serious problems and those without. Is there a common thread... hardware perhaps that is common to those with problems?

Best Regards

Dave
Dave Abbott
Entertainer | Musician | Producer
cricket@iafrica.com

Computer i7 3 Ghz CPU, Intel Mobo, DX58SO, 12Gig DDR1600 RAM, System Drive 64 Gig SSD + 480 Gig SSD sample drive + 3 x 1TB recording and sample drives.
Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, Cubase 10 Pro, Wavelab 9.5, NI Komplete Ultimate, UAD, Waves, and various other plugs
Interface: Steinberg UR824 with Focusrite ISA One, Focusrite Octopre, Cubase Elements 8.5 with Focusrite 18i8 on spare machine. Cubase Elements 9.5 with Focusrite 18i8 on Stage Laptop (Dell 6430 i7 with 8gig RAM)
Korg Taktile 49 Controller Steinberg CC121 Controller

Rule 1: Have Fun! Rule 2: It's Not Serious! Rule 3: When in doubt refer to Rule 1!!

electrow

Post by electrow » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:39 pm

It might be helpful to know, from those who have done a clean reinstall, whether that solved their issues. I was thinking (dreading actually) about doing that until one person said it made things worse.

Also I mentioned in a previous post whether having a four year old system with less than 8? gigs of ram could be a big part of the problem . The puzzler remains why 7.5 runs so smoothly compared to 8.

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:39 pm

electrow wrote:It might be helpful to know, from those who have done a clean reinstall, whether that solved their issues. I was thinking (dreading actually) about doing that until one person said it made things worse.

Also I mentioned in a previous post whether having a four year old system with less than 8? gigs of ram could be a big part of the problem . The puzzler remains why 7.5 runs so smoothly compared to 8.
That really is the point. For those for whom it works it is frustrating that there seems to be no clear signpost for us to give to those who are experiencing difficulties with the new version.
No one "solution" seems to cure everyone.
However, quotes like this from the C8 Readme file may need attention.
Outdated VST plug-ins may render the application unresponsive. Please use only VST plug-ins built with VST SDK 2.4 or higher
As might reading the "Issues and solutions" pages. I know it sounds basic and sometimes is, too simple an approach but if software does go wrong then a bit of reading is by far the quickest way to solve most problems rather than waiting for the company to twig what we're on about.
I know from long association with Cubase that, on every other version roughly, it is essential to read the literature.
Sometimes it is also worth checking the soundcard webpages to see if they have anything relevant as well with a new version of your DAW.
I feel that I might not be as unlucky as some as C8 coincided with the explosion of my old system leading to my purchase of a brand new one, which was around 5 years old. However I don't feel that that would have been an issue. For conventional recording, band, maybe a few FX and some pitch shifts any i5/7 system should cope. However if one loads many tracks, FX, synths, orchestras and uses all of the little tricks then you might find a problem. And whatever that problem was, with that much load on, it would be very hard to track a fault.
i7 3.20gHz; 16gig ram; Win 8.1; Asus z87-k mother.

patcub

Post by patcub » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:54 pm

The solutions to the problems are Steinberg developpers. They should fix the bugs, mostly the window management problem in windows 7.

If some people don't have problems then good for them. They probably won't need to update their Cubase Pro 8 version ever, and jump into Cubase Pro 9 directly. They have a Cubase 8.0.0 version running perfectly without any bug. That's great, Maybe they have a special CPU that does that. You never know.

Sorry for the sarcastic comment but when I first installed Cubase 8, I was really excited and thought it was great. But now that I have been producing tracks with it for several weeks I can see the major improvements, and also the bugs. And I don't think the bugs come from my hardware. So I hope steinberg will fix this window/display problem so I can enjoy the great new features of Cubase Pro 8 (I already can't live without render in place and the search track improvements).

electrow

Post by electrow » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:21 pm

Looking at RAM:
C7.5 spec = 2gig

C8.0 spec = 8 gig (4gig min)

I have 6 gig - maybe 8 gig is the real minimum for C8?

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:14 pm

electrow wrote:Looking at RAM:
C7.5 spec = 2gig

C8.0 spec = 8 gig (4gig min)

I have 6 gig - maybe 8 gig is the real minimum for C8?
Depends what you do. I would think 6gig is fine. I'd check your disk activity just to make sure if you're using a lot of samples maybe.

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:29 pm

patcub wrote:The solutions to the problems are Steinberg developpers. They should fix the bugs, mostly the window management problem in windows 7.

If some people don't have problems then good for them. They probably won't need to update their Cubase Pro 8 version ever, and jump into Cubase Pro 9 directly. They have a Cubase 8.0.0 version running perfectly without any bug. That's great, Maybe they have a special CPU that does that. You never know.

Sorry for the sarcastic comment but when I first installed Cubase 8, I was really excited and thought it was great. But now that I have been producing tracks with it for several weeks I can see the major improvements, and also the bugs. And I don't think the bugs come from my hardware. So I hope steinberg will fix this window/display problem so I can enjoy the great new features of Cubase Pro 8 (I already can't live without render in place and the search track improvements).
Are these bugs that exist and have been reported in the Issues section? Are they bugs you have found yourself? If so then by all means report them in the Issues section if you haven't done so already. The General section deals with General usage issues and users try to fix them. The Issues section is where the company takes notice. If the bugs aren't reported there then there's less chance the company will know and deal with them.
I haven't got a special CPU but I do have a special "knowledge" of the way computers work. I try to pass it on. Some people listen, some don't.
I've been doing computers for twenty years or so. I NEVER assume it's not my hardware. I've learned hard lessons in how not to waste time moping on forums about how bad companies are. 9/10 the cause is very close to home. I know what the bugs are because they are 8/10 in the readmes or in the bag within two weeks of release. And that's not just Cubase's release, it's any software on the planet. And, aside from Reaper which used to claim to fix 1000 bugs a week with four updates per week, I know that any confirmed bug will take at least a couple of months to be addressed. Have patience, use what works and a happy new year.

patcub

Post by patcub » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:36 pm

Bantam wrote:
patcub wrote: Have patience, use what works and a happy new year.
you're right man, didn't mean to offend anyone. Happy new year!

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:04 am

patcub wrote:
Bantam wrote:
patcub wrote: Have patience, use what works and a happy new year.
you're right man, didn't mean to offend anyone. Happy new year!
Certainly no offence. If your system doesn't work I try to give the best advice as I see it because to you, it's a feckin pain in the butt and if no one here can fix it quickly it's likely to drag on. I've washed that T shirt a few times myself. :D Peace and cookies.

JClosed

Post by JClosed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:51 am

Well - updates do not have to be frustrating, as long as you do not try to use the software in an critical work environment just after it's released. Let's face it - software that is as complicated as Cubase, and that has to work at the same time in an very wide variation of hardware and operating systems, will have bugs that will not be catched in an beta test period. Only when the software is "out in the wild" some bugs will become obvious.

If you take your work environment seriously, you never ever use freshly released software without an tourough test period. In most cases that can take months. Only after everything is tested and fully documented (example: like what plug-ins work bug-free and what have problems), you can starting to use the new software without having nasty surprises.

To be honest - if you are really serious about stability and usability, you always work with the latest thoroughly and fully tested software. Most (if not all) times that is software one version number lower than is lastly released (or as least has been tested for several months).

Using this method you wont get frustrated, because by the time you start using the software seriously you are already adapted to new work flows (because while testing you also learn about new work flows and new "gadgets"). Also - by the time you really starting to use the software most bugs are already resolved. If there is no pressure, then frustration levels will be lowered dramatically. You have more than enough time to calmly report bugs, and just as calmly wait until those things get resolved (or get an easy non-frustrating work-around).

This goes for all software. Even Windows get an full test period here (for more than an half year or even an full year) before it is even considred to be usefull. I work with Windows 7, and it will take an long time before we will even consider to "step up" to Windows 8.1. That's not "lagging behind", but just common sense.

Just my 2 cents..

shadowfax

Post by shadowfax » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 am

Bantam wrote:
“I’ve been very happy using the same Pro Tools system for seven years, because everything works, and I don’t spend my time chasing down the latest upgrades. Once Pro Tools got to version 7.4, all the main really important mix features had been integrated, and any new developments since then have not really been that important for our process. In any case, I value stability over being cutting edge.
The full quote I believe. This just refers to his studio and is valid although Tom Petty himself probably has something a little different. If you're just mixing and don't need the bells like pitch shift or auto-correct because the band's half decent then there's nothing wrong with that.
However, it's one man's opinion on the technology generally and is irrelevant to bolster any argument that might be going on here. And I think he would agree. He's not knocking Pro Tools, he's just pointing out that not much has moved enough for him to NEED an upgrade after 7.4. I wish that more "pro" Cubase users had the same attitude. At least Ryan Ulyate doesn't spend all week on a forum moaning forever that it stops his workflowingness. He probably looks at updates once a year and maybe tries a demo and "Nope. There's nothing there for me..." job done, still have a life.
Happy new year everyone. Have a good one.
Hi..You can't get a demo of Cubase..can you :?:
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

JClosed

Post by JClosed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:24 am

shadowfax wrote: Hi..You can't get a demo of Cubase..can you :?:
No yet. But what's wrong with just an little patience in this case?

I mean - Why hurry? The price won't go up for sure, and there is no need to use the upgrade tomorrow or in the extreme short term. Personally I do not mind to just wait for an wile. And, as I said in my post above, this software first has to be tested for an considrable amount of time before I (and I suppose others too) will give the "green light" and start using it in an "mission critical" environment. To be clear - that's what I do with any other new software I buy or get.

I guess it won't take that long before the demo version is available.

Bantam

Post by Bantam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Hi..You can't get a demo of Cubase..can you :?:
Cubase, yes. Cubase 8 Pro? Not yet. Couple of months probably.

Return to “General”