[SOLVED]Delete VCA Fader?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
The Oracle

Re: Delete VCA Fader?

Post by The Oracle »

toader wrote:Ok - I have discovered the problem.

This one way is broken: If I highlight all of the channels in the mixer I want to link, right-click, and select "Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels", it creates a VCA fader in the mixer, but it does NOT create a VCA track in the arrange window. Because no VCA track was created in the arrange window, the fader cannot be deleted (because of rule #1 above).
Sorry, but I'm convinced this is impossible. Every fader has to have a corresponding track in the arrange window.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

Yeah, even if you create it on the mixer it is still on the arrange page. And removing all tracks just makes it a dead VCA, you are then free to add to it or remove it.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

toader

Post by toader »

The Oracle wrote:
toader wrote:Ok - I have discovered the problem.

This one way is broken: If I highlight all of the channels in the mixer I want to link, right-click, and select "Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels", it creates a VCA fader in the mixer, but it does NOT create a VCA track in the arrange window. Because no VCA track was created in the arrange window, the fader cannot be deleted (because of rule #1 above).
Sorry, but I'm convinced this is impossible. Every fader has to have a corresponding track in the arrange window.
Here is an example showing what is happening:

http://youtu.be/xN4YoUmBORA
Computer 1: Cubase 10.5.12, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia NVS 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 10.0.30, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Todd Loomis @ https://noiseradiationstudios.com

Greg Houston

Post by Greg Houston »

Lol. I verified toader's bug on the first page. I don't think the other two guys are following the instructions well, but maybe that video will help.
Image i7 3.4G Quad-Core, 16Gb, Win 10

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

@toader

Ok. I have closely observed your video.

First... The tracks you selected in the mixer are not visible on the project window.
They are FX channels so the VCA group fader is likely appearing within the FX channel group folder that you have CLOSED (folded) on the project window.

Expand that folder and have a look.

Second... You haven't gone and deleted the VCA master fader only unbound (unlinked) the VCA grouping to that fader, deactivating it but not deleting it.
If you manually recreate the link the between the VCA fader and the FX channels, you should restore normal function.
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

toader

Post by toader »

fretthefret wrote:@toader

First... The tracks you selected in the mixer are not visible on the project window.
They are FX channels so the VCA group fader is likely appearing within the FX channel group folder that you have CLOSED (folded) on the project window.

Second... You haven't gone and deleted the VCA master fader only unbound (unlinked) the VCA grouping to that fader, deactivating it but not deleting it.
If you manually recreate the link the between the VCA fader and the FX channels, you should restore normal function.
FX channels are purple. I was using standard VSTi channels from Kontakt.

HOWEVER...

Your post just helped me discover the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For real this time!

The VCA channel was indeed in the arrange window! It was placed in the automation folder for VST Instruments! I go there, and I CAN delete it.

Many thanks!!! FINALLY! I was beginning to think I had gone insane or something.
Last edited by toader on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer 1: Cubase 10.5.12, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia NVS 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 10.0.30, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

toader wrote:

Have you ever used Cubase before? Have you ever noticed that FX channels are purple? Watch the video again and show me how I'm selecting FX channels.

Yes of course I have (everyday since the release of SX3) and you can also manually alter any channel color.

In any case, the channels you have selected were NOT visible on the project window.
Maybe they weren't altered FX channels but they are definitely titled and prepended with "FX" in the video!
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

toader

Post by toader »

fretthefret wrote: Yes of course I have (everyday since the release of SX3) and you can also manually alter any channel color.

In any case, the channels you have selected were NOT visible on the project window.
Maybe they weren't altered effects channels but they are titled and pretended with FX in the video!
Sorry for being a bit rude. I erased that, but you replied before I could edit my post... see above.

Anyway, you have solved this problem for me! Many many thanks! The VCA track was indeed in the arrange window - it was in the VST Instruments folder. FINALLY. I am now able to delete VCA tracks... many thanks. I am not crazy! Stupid maybe... but not crazy!
Last edited by toader on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Houston

Post by Greg Houston »

I take back what I said as well. I think fretthefret is right now. I can successfully add a VCA fader with "Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels..." and then find that fader in the arrange window and delete it. As he pointed out, I imagine that when I tried it previously the fader must have been hidden in a folder somewhere and I just wasn't finding it. :oops:
Image i7 3.4G Quad-Core, 16Gb, Win 10

toader

Post by toader »

Greg Houston wrote:I take back what I said as well. I think fretthefret is right now. I can successfully add a VCA fader with "Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels..." and then find that fader in the arrange window and delete it. As he pointed out, I imagine that when I tried it previously the fader must have been hidden in a folder somewhere and I just wasn't finding it.
Yep... see my most recent post above.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

fretthefret

Post by fretthefret »

No problem guys. Happy to help.
I also understand how a new version can throw the screw in our day and make us more edgy than we would normally be.
Especially so for those of us that rely on software to earn a living!

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

toader wrote:Rule #1: The VCA can only be deleted from within the Arrange window. Not from the mixer. There is absolutely no way to delete a VCA from the mixer directly.
Actually, this is not true. There is a way to remove the VCA faders from the MixConsole.
1. Select "Edit Link Group Settings..." in the pop-up meny above the fader.
2. Uncheck "Use VCA Fader" in the dialog that pops up and select "OK".
3. Select "Yes" in the warning dialog that pops up.
4. Bye-bye VCA fader!

Maybe not the most logical procedure, but it's no bug! It's all explained in this video, at 03:01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV5sg9b ... aKzb5wKDdQ

It's also covered in the PDF manual on page 307.
Last edited by Svenne on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

The dman

Re: [SOLVED]Delete VCA Fader?

Post by The dman »

Svenne wrote:
toader wrote:Rule #1: The VCA can only be deleted from within the Arrange window. Not from the mixer. There is absolutely no way to delete a VCA from the mixer directly.
Actually, this is not true. There is a way to remove the VCA faders from the MixConsole.
4. Bye-bye VCA fader!

Maybe not the most logical procedure, but it's no bug! It's all explained in this video, at 03:01:
If that's the case why didn't someone at Steinberg just tell us this instead of letting the post go on for 6 days and make everybody hunt for the cheese?
Cubase 8.5.15 x64 Windows 10 Home
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3/ i72600k / G.SKILL Ripjaw (4 x 4GB)/SeaSonic X750 Gold PSU/ RME HDSP 9652 / UAD2Quad// Alphatrack/ Alesis HD24XR

http://www.woodstockschoolofmusic.com/

http://www.davedaltonmusic.com

Svenne

Re: [SOLVED]Delete VCA Fader?

Post by Svenne »

The dman wrote:
Svenne wrote:
4. Bye-bye VCA fader!

If that's the case why didn't someone at Steinberg just tell us this instead of letting the post go on for 6 days and make everybody hunt for the cheese?
I wish I could help you with that aswell, but I'm afraid I can't. Only that it's in line of what can be expected of the quality Steinbergs support these days.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

Videre

Post by Videre »

toader wrote:

This post 2014, just saved me in 2017 cubase 9. THank you! :D

FX channels are purple. I was using standard VSTi channels from Kontakt.

HOWEVER...

Your post just helped me discover the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For real this time!

The VCA channel was indeed in the arrange window! It was placed in the automation folder for VST Instruments! I go there, and I CAN delete it.

Many thanks!!! FINALLY! I was beginning to think I had gone insane or something.

chikitin

Post by chikitin »

toader wrote:
Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:20 pm
Ok - I have discovered the problem.

Rule #1: The VCA can only be deleted from within the Arrange window. Not from the mixer. There is absolutely no way to delete a VCA from the mixer directly.

Rule #2): THE BUG:

Creating a VCA is good in all ways but one. This one way is broken: If I highlight all of the channels in the mixer I want to link, right-click, and select "Add VCA Fader to Selected Channels", it creates a VCA fader in the mixer, but it does NOT create a VCA track in the arrange window. Because no VCA track was created in the arrange window, the fader cannot be deleted (because of rule #1 above).
I think this is possible.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ing_t.html
MacBook Pro & iMac, 16GB RAM SSD 1 TB, Cubase Pro the latest w/ two external 32" Monitors
Surround configuration with subwoofer.
Dorico 3.5, Finale, VST Connect Pro, NI Komplete 5, EWQLSO, HSO, GA 5
Synths: Yamaha PSR-A3000, Roland Fantom XR
Interface: Steinberg MR-816CSX, UR 22 mkII
Effects: Rocktron DSP, Lexicon MPX 550
Controller: Steinberg CC121, Yamaha KX25,49,88, Korg Nano Kontrol, Boss RC 300, Yamaha MFC 10, CMC-PD

Return to “General”