Why won't Step Input (MIDI Editor) start at cursor?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
keyman_sam

Why won't Step Input (MIDI Editor) start at cursor?

Post by keyman_sam »

Is there some magical preference that can make the step input start at the cursor? EVERYTIME it starts at the beginning of the project, requiring me to pull the blue line towards current start. It is extremely annoying and puts me off from using it in the first place.

It's an invaluable tool crippled by this obscure behavior. Any tips on how to handle it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drag and drop from Cubase to anywhere else & vice-versa: http://vstxmltranslator.blogspot.com/

Primary: ASUS P8Z68-V LX INTEL Z68 CROSSFIRE, i7-2600K 3.40 GHz, 20 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (OS), 2 TB (Samples), 1 TB (Audio), nVidia GTX 750 Ti, GT520, Win 7 x64, NI Komplete 9, iZotope MPB, Cubase stock plugins
VEP Slave: i7 920, 16 GB RAM, no sound card, Win 7 x64. Runs Omnisphere, EW CC, Kontakt

DAW: Cubase 7.5.4

RME HDSP 9652 (main) <-> RME Babyface (ADAT frontend)

-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Why won't Step Input (MIDI Editor) start at cursor?

Post by -steve- »

Click on the spot after you turn on step input. And, there's a key command that will move the insert cursor to the beginning of a part. It's called 'Move insert cursor to part start'

But yes, this is a frequently reiterated FR.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Rotund

Post by Rotund »

SteveInChicago wrote:Click on the spot after you turn on step input. And, there's a key command that will move the insert cursor to the beginning of a part. It's called 'Move insert cursor to part start'

But yes, this is a frequently reiterated FR.
This has been buggin me lately as well, thanks for the tip.
Inboard:
Win7Pro 64Bit, i7 3770k, Gigabyte Z77-UHD5, 12gb Corsair (1600Mhz), Nuendo+Nek 6.5, Reaper 4.591, Samplitude Pro X2, Studio One 3.5, CD Architect 5.2, RME Raydat, UAD PCIe Quad+Duo.

Outboard:
Moog Model D (Vintage), Sub 37, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, DSI OB-6 Desktop, Prophet Rev2 8 Voice, Roland Integra 7, SE-02, Korg Prologue 16, Triton Le, Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55, Sound Gizmo.

Paul091

Post by Paul091 »

I'd like to add: is there some magical key command that can make the step input jump to the cursor? Or even better: follow (be 'glued to') the cursor? I am using a controller with a jog wheel, and that is perfect for quickly positioning the cursor to the desired location. Now if only the 'blue line' (step input) would follow...

On a side note: I don't understand why most controllers lack a jog wheel, nothing beats it for scrolling to a location quickly and precisely..

Regards,

Paul

AMPAGE

Post by AMPAGE »

Necro Bump. I made my . button become this 'Move insert cursor to part start' for step recording. As Paul091 asked years ago, do we know if there is a setting for the blue line to follow cursor?
Cubase Pro 10.5.20.179 - Ryzen 3900x - 32GB DDR4 - Windows 10 - RME Fireface 400 - DYNAUDIO BM6A Mkii - Dynaudio BM5 MkIII - Kemper Rack - Neve RNDI - Focusrite ISA One - Mogami Cable - Guitar Addict

Return to “General”