A Song for the Trillium Queen - Symphonic Theme

Let's hear what you have made using our products!
Amicus717

A Song for the Trillium Queen - Symphonic Theme

Post by Amicus717 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi folks,

Short symphonic sketch written for a friend of mine who does historical re-enactment:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13681054

Done in Cubase 9.5 Pro using the following libraries, in no particular order:

Albion ONE, 8Dio Anthology Strings, NI Symphonic Essentials, Hollywood Orchestra, Garritan Personal Orch 5, Miroslav 2 CE and HAlion Symphonic.

Be grateful for any feedback or comments.

Thanks,

Rob

Early21

Re: A Song for the Trillium Queen - Symphonic Theme

Post by Early21 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 am

Hi Rob, just listened to this. Liked it a lot. It's a bit quiet against others in this genre, I think. But a very realistic orchestral sound. I'm not doing anything close to this, but I wish I knew how. Which of your sounds are most prominent?
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks for listening!

The basic strings are Albion One, but the more prominent legato lines are 8Dio Anthology strings, using the Legato 1 patch. I find you can't top 8Dio's legato for intense and emotional passages. I also doubled some of the string parts with woodwinds -- there are flutes doubling the violins, a bassoon and clarinet doubling some of the celli lines, and a bass clarinet doubling the contrabass. Not too prominent, I keep them from standing out too much, but just enough to add some reinforcement and agility to the string lines.

The woodwind patches themselves are a mix of HAlion Symphonic, Garritan Personal Orch and Miroslav 2 CE. I don't recall exactly which was which. I'd have to go back and open the project again.

The brass is all EastWest Hollywood Brass Gold.

I'm actually re-recording this piece using a new set of woodwinds I got from the VSL. They are WAY nicer than the other ones I used above, with a nicer legato and a more natural sound -- to my ears, anyway. I think they'll make for a pretty nice improvement on the overall sound of the track.

leeholdridge

Post by leeholdridge » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Excellent cue Rob! As good as your midi is, it would still be great to hear it with a live orchestra!

Lee
Lee Holdridge

Return to “Made with Steinberg”