What version of Win7 64 bit should I choose?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Jaytexx

What version of Win7 64 bit should I choose?

Post by Jaytexx » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Happy me! I just landed a new composing gig giving me the oppertunity to finally go 64 bit.

I'll need a new DAW with lots of RAM, and of course I'll be buying Windows 7 64 bit. But what version of Windows 7 should I choose for optimal use as a DAW?

Maybe I don't need the most expensive version? Or maybe I do?

Any recommendations?

I'd sure like to hear about your experinces with Win7 64 bit and Cubase (I should probably upgrade from C5 to C6 also?)

Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU 3.40 GHz, Asus P8z77-v lx Motherboard, 32 Gb RAM, 2 x WD HD, MAudio Delta Audiophile 2492, M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2

Win7 64, Cubase 8.5 64 bit, Halion3.5, Spectrasonics Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Trilian, Kontakt 5, Halion Sonic SE.

nexis

Re: What version of Win7 64 bit should I choose?

Post by nexis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:54 am

I use Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it works great! Hope this helps.

nexis
Cubase 10.5 PRO, Steinberg MR816 CSX (2 of them), Windows 10 Pro, i7 Processor, 24 gigs of RAM, 3 Separate TB Drives, BluRay Burner Dual Monitors

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 am

Here are the specs for all editions of W7.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... _windows_7

GroovinDJ

Post by GroovinDJ » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 pm

I'd say that it'd make sense to choose the one with the smallest footprint that still has the features you need.

i.e. don't buy the fattest bloated version just because it's the 'top' one, if you don't actually need any of the extra functionality.

From what I've seen, the 'extra' stuff in the 'top' version(s) is mainly related to business usage - security/encryption/large network... so not really relevant to studio use.

Oh, and if you're going 64 bit - make damn sure that all your hardware and software supports 64 bit!
Cubase - Yamaha n12 - Ableton Live Suite - Reason - Sony Acid Pro - Adobe Audition - Sony Vegas - Virtual DJ - Traktor - Gizmolabs RPM

Bernard Focquet

Post by Bernard Focquet » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

GroovinDJ wrote:From what I've seen, the 'extra' stuff in the 'top' version(s) is mainly related to business usage - security/encryption/large network... so not really relevant to studio use.
Pro, Utimate and Enterprise support more physical memory up to 192GB and up to 2 Physical CPUs, other releases support less memory and are limited to one physical CPU.

Cheers,
Bernard
Nuendo 10.x, Cubase Pro 10.x, Wavelab Pro 9.x
PCs Win7/Win10 x64, Sony DMX-R100, RME Digiface, TC Powercore, MCU Pro

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”