Wow - Just Noticed No Vista Support!

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Tones2

Wow - Just Noticed No Vista Support!

Post by Tones2 »

Bummer! :cry: The bad news keeps coming.

I know it's not officially supported, but with it WORK on Vista 64 bit?
Last edited by Tones2 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

I still want to move frozen VSTi parts, even in the new forum!

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Re: Wow - Just Noticed No Vista Support!

Post by thinkingcap »

Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Well, obviously I missed that sticky.
Tony

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap »

Tones2 wrote:
Well, obviously...
Too involved in moveable frozen VSTi parts...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

Laurence Payne

Post by Laurence Payne »

Tones2 wrote:
Which clearly states "not supported" but doesn't say "won't install and run on".

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Laurence Payne wrote:
Tones2 wrote:
Which clearly states "not supported" but doesn't say "won't install and run on".
Right - So that's my question. Will it run on Vista 64 bit?

Tony
Tony

Chris Beuermann

Post by Chris Beuermann »

Hello,

Probertly yes, but we have not tested it.

Cheers,

Chris

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Heck, I should probably switch over to Windows 7 anyway. Been a little afraid to do an in place conversion, but I'll maybe image my drive and give it a shot.
Tony

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Any disk image software suggestion by anyone (for Vista 64)?
Tony

samicide

Post by samicide »

screw vista, do a total fresh install and work through it, when it's over you'll have something a lot better than vista ever was, that's how it was for me, I never have crashes and I'm constantly freezing and unfreezing. stick with popular brand plugs, after that the built in windows 7 imaging software works great so you only have to set it up once unless you replace the os drive.
Cubase 9.5

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

samicide wrote:screw vista, do a total fresh install and work through it, when it's over you'll have something a lot better than vista ever was, that's how it was for me, I never ever have a crash, like never, and I'm constantly freezing and unfreezing. the built in windows 7 imaging software works great.
Well. I need to image my Vista drive BEFORE installing Windows 7 in case something happens. I want to try an in-place update first since it'll be a LOT easier than having to re-install 75+ programs from disk plus all the updates and re-authorizations.

BTW- I NEVER crash under Vista either. :)
Tony

samicide

Post by samicide »

if it were me I would reinstall the 75 plug ins on a fresh os install from scratch, any other way is a hack. since you can image right after you only have to do it once, it's worth it. 7 is better than vista, if you have problems with a plug in dump it. I use a lot and had no problems with 95% of them.

good luck.
Cubase 9.5

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

samicide wrote:if it were me I would reinstall the 75 plug ins on a fresh os install from scratch, any other way is a hack. since you can image right after you only have to do it once, it's worth it. 7 is better than vista, if you have problems with a plug in dump it. I use a lot and had no problems with 95% of them.

good luck.
In-place updates is not a hack. Especially going from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 bit. It'll take me a MONTH to to get back to where I was otherwise. I have better things to do with my time.
Tony

samicide

Post by samicide »

I hear ya, your reasons for not doing a fresh install are actually my reasons for doing one, such a big change should be started from scratch, because if you don't have time to do it right the first time when will you find time to do it twice?

like I said that was my experience, I would never do it the way you describe and expect the stability that I have now, but good luck either way.
Last edited by samicide on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 9.5

samicide

Post by samicide »

if you're ever experiencing crashing I'll have to drop a link to this thread though. :)
Cubase 9.5

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

samicide wrote:if you're ever experiencing crashing I'll have to drop a link to this thread though. :)
I've ALWAYS done in-place updates without ANY issues other than those than result from non-compatibility of certain software on the new O/S, which I would have had either way.

In any case, I'm doing it. :roll: What I'm really asking for is imaging software recommendations.
Tony

samicide

Post by samicide »

oh the eye roll, guess I offended you. maybe this will too,

I don't know anyone who uses 3rd party imaging software anymore since the one built into windows 7 works so well and is free.
Cubase 9.5

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

samicide wrote:oh the eye roll, guess I offended you. maybe this will too,

I don't know anyone who uses 3rd party imaging software anymore since the one built into windows 7 works so well and is free.
Right. So everyone in the world has already converted to Windows 7. Jeez....Next
Tony

Spinland

Post by Spinland »

If you're looking for payware imaging software in my Windows days I relied on Acronis True Image. Saved my bacon more than once.
Spinland Studios
17" MacBook Pro | 8GB | i7 Multicore | OS 10.6.6 | Cubase 5.5.2
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." ~ Frank Zappa

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Spinland wrote:If you're looking for payware imaging software in my Windows days I relied on Acronis True Image. Saved my bacon more than once.
Thanks! :)
Tony

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Tones2 wrote:In-place updates is not a hack. Especially going from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 bit. It'll take me a MONTH to to get back to where I was otherwise. I have better things to do with my time.
You will have even more fun with your time if your "in-place" goes south. I have never and would never - ever - attempt an in-place upgrade. And trust me - you will have authorization issues - despite your belief that it will be smooth. I have seen many a VSTi and their auth go wonky when a new OS suddenly "shows up" unannounced.

Not to mention OS issues if something is out of wack. And finally all the crap that will be left over AFTER an in-place - which can old slow things down eventually or cause major problems if an app or instrument decides to call the wrong .dll - that just happens to be sitting in some obscure directory.

I too have at least a couple days worth of auths to do...but I have no problem wiping the machine every 6 or 8 months and starting minty fresh. It's liberating to gut the machine.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Tones2

Post by Tones2 »

Vocalpoint wrote:
Tones2 wrote:In-place updates is not a hack. Especially going from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64 bit. It'll take me a MONTH to to get back to where I was otherwise. I have better things to do with my time.
You will have even more fun with your time if your "in-place" goes south. I have never and would never - ever - attempt an in-place upgrade. And trust me - you will have authorization issues - despite your belief that it will be smooth. I have seen many a VSTi and their auth go wonky when a new OS suddenly "shows up" unannounced.

Not to mention OS issues if something is out of wack. And finally all the crap that will be left over AFTER an in-place - which can old slow things down eventually or cause major problems if an app or instrument decides to call the wrong .dll - that just happens to be sitting in some obscure directory.

I too have at least a couple days worth of auths to do...but I have no problem wiping the machine every 6 or 8 months and starting minty fresh. It's liberating to gut the machine.

VP
But if image my drive and THEN try it, what do I have to lose?

Also, my DAW is ALSO my main home computer, and I have a LOT more program on there then just music ones. It will literally take me a month to reinstall everything.
Tony

Ron Garrison

Post by Ron Garrison »

Another option if you have enough disk space is to install a boot manager and then do a fresh install on the same system. Then gradually move over to the new install. My setup has 3 hard drives - system, projects, samples. So on my system disk I created a new partition and and installed Windows 7 there. I could then boot to either Vista or Windows 7. This allowed me to continue getting things done using Vista, then as time allowed I started getting Windows 7 up and running. I could see all my projects and samples from both Vista and Windows 7 as they are on separate HDs.

The software I used was BootIt NG. It allows you to do partition resizing/creation as well as the boot manager. Very powerful and cheap, but not the most intuitive software to use.

That being said, I am also looking at backup software right now. And although Windows 7 has its own backup software, it does not create images (and of course is totally useless if you are still on Vista).

Acronis has a trial (which I'm downloading right now). Don't know the limitation of their trial.

Another option might be Image for Windows by terabyte unlimited (same guys that do BootIt NG). They have a fully functioning trial (30 days I believe) meaning you can create an image and restore within the 30 days. After the 30 days you would need a paid license to restore - so you could image your drive and then if all goes smooth - just hang onto the image.

Ron
Cubase 6.5, Sonar 8.5, Q6700@2.66GHz, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, MCU+2Extenders, Presonus Firepod, Tascam VL-X5.

samicide

Post by samicide »

Ron Garrison wrote: And although Windows 7 has its own backup software, it does not create images (and of course is totally useless if you are still on Vista).
what do you mean it doesn't create images?

I've used it a few times now to create and restore images so I don't know what you're talking about, do you?
Cubase 9.5

Ron Garrison

Post by Ron Garrison »

samicide wrote:
Ron Garrison wrote: And although Windows 7 has its own backup software, it does not create images (and of course is totally useless if you are still on Vista).
what do you mean it doesn't create images?

I've used it a few times now to create and restore images so I don't know what you're talking about, do you?

I was incorrect. Still doesn't help Tony though.

Ron
Cubase 6.5, Sonar 8.5, Q6700@2.66GHz, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, MCU+2Extenders, Presonus Firepod, Tascam VL-X5.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”