What is the best location to save projects in my situation?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
patgee

What is the best location to save projects in my situation?

Post by patgee » Wed May 22, 2019 12:22 am

Hello!

I'm new to Cubase. Have Cubase 10 Pro. Have an SSD PCIe for main drive for the Cubase program and my Native Instruments programs. 2nd installed drive is only a 5400 RPM SATA drive. I do have a native Thunderbolt 3 port. I've connected a Samsung X5 SSD external Thunderbolt 3 drive. I have my Native Instruments sample library on it.

What is my best option for where I should store my Cubase project folders and files? I will mostly do midi stuff for the near future, but I will do audio file stuff at some point.

I would assume that the main SSD C drive and the secondary 5400rpm drive aren't good options. This leaves me to choose between using the Thunderbolt 3 sample library drive, or connecting another external drive (maybe an SSD one).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nickeldome

Re: What is the best location to save projects in my situation?

Post by Nickeldome » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Projects, especially with midi only data take up very little storage space. Once you start to export your tracks to audio and especially to 96khz and above you'll need a lot more storage and with an extreme amount of tracks and plugins you may notice performance needs will increase also. In your case I would just put them on the 5400rpm drive. Even these drives are in general fast enough to handle tens of audio tracks simultaneously. You can test this yourself by creating a test project and increase the number of audio tracks and see how far it will go?
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
All time user of Cubase since Atari V2 (around 1990)

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”