Cubase 64bit RAM Limitation

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
cforte

Cubase 64bit RAM Limitation

Post by cforte »

Just installed my Cubase 5 64-bit on an HP Elite with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit ( Phenom II Quad w/8GB RAM ) & currently using a Presonus Firebox as the Interface. When I start running my Virtual Instruments my ASIO meter goes through the roof; spikes, & pops during tracking etc. I check my Systems Task Manager to check RAM usage on the PC and it's not even hitting 3GB of my 8GB available.

I tried various settings in the Device Manager, still CUBASE is not accessing anymore RAM. What am I doing wrong ? Already have my PC setting to allow 6GBmin - 8 GBmax in "My Computer's" Preferences. I've read all over the place that a 64-bit system will use the available RAM that I have installed. Do I need to reconfigure the PC then reinstall CUBASE fresh? Any Help will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance!
Cubase 5.5.3 (32-bit) - Sony VAIO Laptop (VPCEB47GM) i5 Win 7 Professional (64-bit) 8GB RAM - Focusrite Saffire 56 - Firewire SIIG Express Card 2port 6-pin) - Saffire Mix Control 2.4

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Re: Cubase 64bit RAM Limitation

Post by JMCecil »

are you hoping if you post it in every forum you will have a plethora of answers to choose from?
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

bullmoon

Post by bullmoon »

ASIO Meter and RAM usage do not correlate. ASIO meter is more correlated with CPU usage.

I also notice now that I have added a lot of RAM to my system, I can now load enough VSTI to max out the CPU before I max out my RAM - before 64-bit, it was the other way around: RAM topped out before CPU.

If you run out of RAM using VSTI, Cubase/Nuendo will either crash (if the VSTI is not smart) or the instrument sample set will not load (the VSTI is smart enough not to load it).
Steve | Bull Moon Digital | Nuendo 10.3 | Win10 DELL T5820 | FF UFX+

cforte

Post by cforte »

JMCecil wrote:are you hoping if you post it in every forum you will have a plethora of answers to choose from?
it was my first post and wasn't sure which area would get the better response. so...i went fishing and got what i needed. i'm actually about to drop the delta 1010 in tonight and see what happens. *crossing my fingers to avoid any issues.
Cubase 5.5.3 (32-bit) - Sony VAIO Laptop (VPCEB47GM) i5 Win 7 Professional (64-bit) 8GB RAM - Focusrite Saffire 56 - Firewire SIIG Express Card 2port 6-pin) - Saffire Mix Control 2.4

Devin D

Post by Devin D »

How fast are you hard drive(s)?

Are the sample libraries and session audio on different drives as well?

Not streaming cubase, the session's audio and VIs (sample libraries) from the same drive improves performance a good deal
(especially if you have some faster drives, good cache etc..)

obviously a huge hardware buffer can help come Mix time when your dropping in a bunch of plug ins on top of the taxing VIs
Mac Pro 2.8gHz 8 Core
Win 7 OSX 10.6.5
RME Multiface II w/HdspE + Profire 2626
Focal Twin6be + Avantone mix cube + Dangerous Monitor ST
Cubase 5.5.2 Logic 8
Euphonix MC Control
Euphonix MC Mix
M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro + Novation 61SL mkii
Purple Audio BIZ MK + Pants
A Designs P-1 (pair)
API 560 Graphic EQ (pair)
SSL Alpha Channel
LA Scoring Strings, EW Orch Gold (with Close and Surr.), Storm Drum 2, Komplete 7, Heavyocity Evolve, Ivory II, Superior Drummer with NYC and Metal Foundry EXP, Chris Hein Horns Vol 1+2, Miroslav Philharmonik
UAD 2 Solo, Waves Platinum, Amplitube 3, Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection, Izotope Ozone, Melodyne Editor
Neumann TLM103, AKG C414XL-II, Shure SM7B, Se Electronics Z5600aII (pair), Peluso CEMC6 (pair), Cascade Fathed II (pair), Shure SM57,
Shure Beta 57, Audix I5, Audix D6

Devin D

Post by Devin D »

depending on your VI - some can let you choose to stream from disk or load into RAM - one of EW's Play's nicer features

Kontakt gives you some solid memory management options as well or at least pretty easy monitoring of your resources

And sometimes a good ol (still sadly un-editable) freeze to the VI will help a session drastically
Mac Pro 2.8gHz 8 Core
Win 7 OSX 10.6.5
RME Multiface II w/HdspE + Profire 2626
Focal Twin6be + Avantone mix cube + Dangerous Monitor ST
Cubase 5.5.2 Logic 8
Euphonix MC Control
Euphonix MC Mix
M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro + Novation 61SL mkii
Purple Audio BIZ MK + Pants
A Designs P-1 (pair)
API 560 Graphic EQ (pair)
SSL Alpha Channel
LA Scoring Strings, EW Orch Gold (with Close and Surr.), Storm Drum 2, Komplete 7, Heavyocity Evolve, Ivory II, Superior Drummer with NYC and Metal Foundry EXP, Chris Hein Horns Vol 1+2, Miroslav Philharmonik
UAD 2 Solo, Waves Platinum, Amplitube 3, Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection, Izotope Ozone, Melodyne Editor
Neumann TLM103, AKG C414XL-II, Shure SM7B, Se Electronics Z5600aII (pair), Peluso CEMC6 (pair), Cascade Fathed II (pair), Shure SM57,
Shure Beta 57, Audix I5, Audix D6

bullmoon

Post by bullmoon »

cforte wrote:When I start running my Virtual Instruments my ASIO meter goes through the roof...
The ASIO meter has nothing to do with RAM.
Steve | Bull Moon Digital | Nuendo 10.3 | Win10 DELL T5820 | FF UFX+

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”