Vocal booth build.

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
shadowfax

Vocal booth build.

Post by shadowfax » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:20 am

Hi, moving house and gonna be building a new Vocal booth..not gonna be square and the walls are gonna be offset to avoid standing waves,
a question though..would you agree that a section half way up the booth behind the singer extending out another metre with three 4inch absorption panels set 20 inches apart would help reduce frequencies in the 200/300Hz area...the boxyness area so to speak?
I know it gets all technical with sound waves..specially in the lower frequencies but wondering if this would make a difference.

any comments or info much appreciated.. :) :)

cheers,
Kevin :)
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

ColinPark

Re: Vocal booth build.

Post by ColinPark » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am

I don't know that any of that can be figured out with anything less than a computer model, scale drawing, material absorption coefficient graphs, and so on. There's a book by Philip Newell I have on Kindle called "Recording Spaces" that deals in non-rectangular architecture. I guess he has other books. (here, for example -- not sure how legitimate that is. :? )

I suppose Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics is always a good place to start. (my review of the 5th edition tops the list at Amazon if you're not already familiar with that book and want more opinion.)

In the end, it's not very practical to do the math. Just test the booth. Ahh -- but you haven't built it yet. I once had a similar studio building dream, so I know that anxiety. Possibly the best action is to build a cheap mock-up version out of 2x4's and drywall, the sort of thing where you can nudge the walls around a bit. Then see what works?

In my more modest reality, I'm partial to the live-end / dead-end approach with not so close micing. I'd say concentrate on killing the 1st reflections.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.0.40], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Studio 4.2.4.001

shadowfax

Re: Vocal booth build.

Post by shadowfax » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 am

ColinPark wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:02 am
I don't know that any of that can be figured out with anything less than a computer model, scale drawing, material absorption coefficient graphs, and so on. There's a book by Philip Newell I have on Kindle called "Recording Spaces" that deals in non-rectangular architecture. I guess he has other books. (here, for example -- not sure how legitimate that is. :? )

I suppose Everest's Master Handbook of Acoustics is always a good place to start. (my review of the 5th edition tops the list at Amazon if you're not already familiar with that book and want more opinion.)

In the end, it's not very practical to do the math. Just test the booth. Ahh -- but you haven't built it yet. I once had a similar studio building dream, so I know that anxiety. Possibly the best action is to build a cheap mock-up version out of 2x4's and drywall, the sort of thing where you can nudge the walls around a bit. Then see what works?

In my more modest reality, I'm partial to the live-end / dead-end approach with not so close micing. I'd say concentrate on killing the 1st reflections.

Thank you for your answer my friend..will look up the books you mention, really appreciate you taking the time!!!
best, Kevin :) :)
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... Cubase 10.5..Windows 10..Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor, WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card,
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard, 32GB ram, 2x Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD. Yamaha N8.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”