Meltdown/Spectre information/news updates...

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
SafeandSound

Meltdown/Spectre information/news updates...

Post by SafeandSound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 pm

I found this site has its finger on the pulse so thought I would share:

http://www.crn.com/spectre-meltdown

This commentary is slightly alarming:

http://www.crn.com/news/security/300098 ... e-line.htm
Home music making machine : Windows 10 (64bit), Cubase 9.0.2, RME HDSP 9632 PCI, 16GB HyperX 1333MHz, Intel i7-2600 3.4GHz, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, Seasonic X-650 PSU, Radeon HD5450 PCI-E, Samsung 850Pro 256GB SSD (LatencyMON checked, memory tested, latest BIOS/drivers, no cracks, DAW only clean install to SSD) Mastering Engineer Barry Gardner

KHS

Re: Meltdown/Spectre information/news updates...

Post by KHS » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:30 pm

I think for normal consumers the commentary last section is right. The risk is way out of proportion for normal end users. Obviously it is always important to patch security issues but as an end user I really don't see why hackers will target us. I mean, at least here in my country, online access to bank accounts require 2 factor authentication and so does most game accounts as an option if you download the authenticator on your Android or IOS device. Your expensive Music software needs a hardware dongle linked to your account. So what will they steal? A few pictures from my kids birthday?
For businesses this is obviously a completely different story.
Just make sure to take a backup of everything important and the worst that could happen is that you need to spend a few hours to reinstall everything.
Make sure to not click on any suspicious links and they wont be able to exploit these security flaws anyway.
Cubase 9.5 Pro - Presonus Audiobox 44VSL - I7-7700K - Gigabyte GTX1070 Xtreme Gaming - 16GB RAM - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z270 mobo.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”