Anyone want to test different rigs/CPU's? EDITED

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
titchyblackcat

Re: Anyone want to test different rigs/CPU's? EDITED

Post by titchyblackcat » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 pm

I think this what Steinberg say. Some cpu's with a lot of cores use resources from the system to run the cpu.
Therefore it's about the whole sysyem and a maybe a lesser but faster cores per cpu.
Cubase Pro 10 Wavelab 8 LE
Win 7 64 bit. Intel DQ77CP Motherboard with i5 3470 3.4Ghz Ram ddr3 8 GB
M-Audio 2496 Soundcard

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

There are two things to consider blackcat;

1: When you increase speed the increase in performance is pretty much linear. When you increase the amount of cores it's not the same thing. So going from 2 cores at 2GHz to 2 cores at 4GHz will pretty much double performance, but going to 4 cores at 2GHz will be a bit slower. What you have to remember though is that you often still get more performance as a total by getting more cores.

2: Windows has a peculiarity which means that some chips will see drop-outs at a certain load - not because of the CPU's capacity itself, but because of how many logical threads it has. There's a thread on that.

Generally speaking it doesn't seem like either of the above are anything most users have to concern themselves with.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Rickenbacker198

Post by Rickenbacker198 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:53 pm

I did the test because I thought my system may have a problem..
I'm having to render tracks, etc... guess the project is just getting too big.

i7 4790K
Asus Z97I
SSD
RME UFX- 2048 samples
wifi disabled

export time
12.2 seconds

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”