Meltdown patch and DAW performance

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
GPnicolett

Meltdown patch and DAW performance

Post by GPnicolett » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:08 pm

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3245606 ... c-mac.html

Seems like this could massively impact DAW performance. I literally JUST bought a new i9 7900x for a custom PC build. I have not opened the box. Should I return it and wait for the next generation?
Greg Nicolett | Composer
http://www.gregnicolett.com
Cubase 10, Mojave, Mac Mini 6-core i7, 64gbRAM, RME Fireface 802

heisenberg9

Re: Meltdown patch and DAW performance

Post by heisenberg9 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Updated this morning on a Windows 7 Pro machine. I cannot notice any hit to performance in Nuendo 8.1 with a project laden with high I/O activity. It may be there but it must be a subtle change in performance. I am hearing lots of similar claims about Reaper, as these users are typically the ones that like to live on the bleeding edge and began updating last night.
Andrew
--
Nuendo 10.1.0
--
Hardware related to issue tracking:
ASUS P9x79, i7-3930K CPU OC to 4.05 khz, 64 GB, combination of SSDs & HDs, Blackmagic Decklink Card with HD-SDI Monitor used in Nuendo, Firewire Card, MOTU Traveler mkIII, GTX 580 2 GB of VRAM with 2 Monitors, NVIDIA Driver 390.41 WHQL running on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with eLicenser & iLok dongles.

For Issue tracking, the MIDI controllers used:
Mackie MCU+C4, X-Touch Compact, X-Station, nanoKEY2 for key switching & Steinberg TP, CH & AI

For issue tracking, brands or software instruments & effects commonly used:
VEPro 7, Vienna Instruments 2, MIR Pro & Suite; script heavy Kontakt Libraries such as Spitfire, Heavyocity, NI, Soniccouture, Sound Dust, also UVI Falcon & rewired Ableton Live 10, Max 7, Melodyne and Reason 8. EFX often used are by Lexicon PCM Reverbs & Effects, FabFilter, IRCAM Spat, SoundToys, Brainworks, (iZotope RX punted to the sideline), Eventide, Waves plugins, etc.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”