ASIO Driver "Device Could not be Opened"

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
mitchhill92

ASIO Driver "Device Could not be Opened"

Post by mitchhill92 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:50 am

I've been using Cubase with no problems for a year and half. To my knowledge there have been no updates made to my computer, but now my driver has been switched to a generic low latency ASIO driver and when I try to switch back to the driver I've been using, Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO, I get the error message "Device could not be opened". My driver shows up in the options in DEVICES>>DEVICE SETUP>>ASIO DRIVER dropdown, but can't connect. I've attached a screenshot. I know it is connected properly to the computer because when I play my guitar through it I hear it through the output.

What could be causing my issue? What do I need to do to switch to the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO Driver?
Attachments
Driver Issue.png
(111.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Kit Hugo

Re: ASIO Driver "Device Could not be Opened"

Post by Kit Hugo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi, got the same exact issue!

Had to get a new harddrive for my pc. Installed the most updated driver for my sound card, and installed Cubase without problems. But when I in Cubase had to choose a device and chose "steinberg" it started installing it, and got stuck in "preparing for installation" in Windows installer and couldn't be shut down unless I rebooted the computer.

So i uninstalled the driver for my sound card and installed the driver with the CD I got along the sound card, and now I'm in the same spot as you. "Device could not be opened."

Did you manage to resolve the issue?

balinas

Post by balinas » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:54 pm

perhaps try a different USB port and see what happens. reboot.

Open up device manager and make sure your device is there and working. Then start Cubase. Before opening a project, look at the audio devices and make your native ASIO driver the one that is selected.
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, WIN 10 (1809), Intel i9 9900 5GHz, 32GB RAM, , MCU-PRO, Yamaha Classic Motif 6, Focusrite Asa ONE

unicoil

Post by unicoil » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:29 pm

Was there a resolution to this problem? I am attempting to get a UR22mkII working with my HP Spectre 360 laptop, and I get the same result.

unicoil

Post by unicoil » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 pm

FYI, my problem was SOLVED by using a different USB cable--I had to try three different cables. The one that worked was an extra-thick one that came with my old Line6 UX2. Better ground connection? Shielded? Not sure exactly why, but it works reliably, and I am up an running.

mitchhill92

Post by mitchhill92 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:19 am

I've worked with customer service for a month or so and have not found a solution. To be clear, the cable connects power to the UR22mkII because I get a blinking USB indicator on the interface, indicating that the device is connected to the computer, but not recognized. The things customer service had me check for were:

- Downloading the latest version of Cubase
- Reinstalling the driver
- Checking that USB ports are 2.0 not 3.0
- Buying a new USB cable

None of these options worked. I was instructed to install everything on a different computer and see if that works, but I don't have a computer to try it on, so I've given up at this point and hope someone is able to figure out a solution.

mitchhill92

Post by mitchhill92 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:25 am

unicoil wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 pm
FYI, my problem was SOLVED by using a different USB cable--I had to try three different cables. The one that worked was an extra-thick one that came with my old Line6 UX2. Better ground connection? Shielded? Not sure exactly why, but it works reliably, and I am up an running.
I tried 2 different cabled and neither worked, but both produced a blinking USB indicator light on the interface. With the 2 cables that didn't work, did your USB indicator light on the UR22mkII blink, but the third one connected with a solid indicator? Wondering if I might need to try some more different cables.

unicoil

Post by unicoil » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. I wasn't getting ANY lights turning on. The third one just worked. I don't have any others to try it with, sorry.

Of course, I hadn't used the thing in a month, and today when i turn it on I get the eLicenser problem (apparently as a result of a Windows 10 update). I fixed that, but trying to install the NEW USB driver update fails, and now I'm back to a non-functional UR22mkII again, even WITH the "good" USB cable.

This shouldn't be that hard.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”