Cubase 6 a step backwards

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
matjones

Re: Cubase 6 a step backwards

Post by matjones » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:50 am

mindastray wrote:I think it was a big step FORWARD;

1. VST Expression 2: For working only Halion Sonic? Of course - as for now! But don't you think it's eventually going to be supported by other samplers too? Of course it will! These new innovations ALWAYS take some time get fully recognized. Give it some time, or start to use another DAW.

2. Comping Feature: a Great welcome to this! Nothing to add here.

3. New looks: Looks excellent to me. Nothing to add here either.

4. AmpRack: Do I have to explain this any further? Good work, Steinberg!

5. Group Editing feauture: Well this one could - and should - be even better, but it's a change to a right direction. a Good feature again.

6. Loopmash 2: Way better than earlier! If you don't need that, then just stick with Cubase 5. Plain and simple.

7. The new Groove Agent 1.2: Better than earlier. Nothing to add here either.

8. The new Automation tools: Now this is one of the BIGGEST enhancements to Cubase 5 and I really use this a LOT! This new feature is just PLAIN EXCELLENT and saves my time/nerves/cigarettes etc.

9: Halion Sonic LE: a VERY big welcome to this one. For now, it suits at least my needs and I don't have to purchase any better sampler, for now at least.

10. All of the above.

It's the same nagging every time something new comes up and I don't understand that. Whether it's Windows 7, VST3.5, VST Expression 2 or whatever. Resistance for Change is one annoying thing that I really hate. "Just stick with a good-old this and that. Don't develop anything new.." etc. Everything has to develop - that's called competition. And Steinberg jumping off that train.. they would only be digging their own grave.

We should be glad for Steinberg having brought so many great innovations onto producing music. At least I am. Not kissing any a**:s her nor want to offend anyone, but come on.. Cubase rules and you (should) know that.

+1
Cubase 10.0.20 Asus P9X79 LE, i7 4820K@ 3.7GHz, 32GB Corsair 1600 RAM, Asus R5 230, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, UAD2 Solo/Quad, UA6176, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 10, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC7, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

andyjh

Post by andyjh » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

[/quote]
Sean Dockery wrote:What is the point of these negative denounce topics?
[/quote]

A forum is a central point for exchanging views and debate, Steinberg can then become aware of the general opinion of it's users, and become aware of those issues (they may not react to them, but without the forum they wouldn't know about them).

If we all sat here saying how wonderful everything is, and issues don't matter because we love Steinberg, then it would end up like an East West forum, controlled and not reality. So I certainly respect Steinberg in leaving all debate open.
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Well flame guns at the ready because...

I personally am regretting spending £120 on something that is giving me serious workflow problems while leaving many important issues unresolved (folders that don't mute / unmute properly, comping workflow whether you are comping or not) no REX preview support in mediabay (after 3/4 years of "we're trying to figure it out" ), enticing features like "jump to plugin automation" which, on closer inspection, only work on VST3 plugins and then only the Steinberg ones, having to reboot the system cos the process won;t end on exit / crash)

This should have definitely been a free update, 5.6, as the OP stated.
I will be sticking to C552 for all my production work...

Now, form an orderly queue behind the gunsight ...

chase

Post by chase » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Delicieuxz wrote:
chase wrote: And, TBH, on the subject you raised of what's logical and what isn't, I don't see how you could have concluded that andyjh hadn't researched any of what's new in C6.
Quite simple. He stated "I haven't come across anything in Cubase 6 that's better." If that's the case, then he hasn't researched all that's changed in Cubase 6, as there are undoubtedly things that are better - regardless of whether he'll use them or not. Therefore, it is logical to say it seems he hasn't researched what's new.
Well, I do see what you mean, but I assumed he was talking from his own perspective - ie he'd found nothing that was better for him. It is, after all, pointless to dig into features that you know you'll never use.

While I do wish people wouldn't use language that SOUNDS like "absolute" comparisons (A is better than B) when they're meaning "relative" comparisons (A is better than B for my purposes), that does seem to be what so many people do - and on forums I've seen it create pointless arguments where members quarrel about whether A is better or worse than B, with no reference to, or recognition of, differences between the kinds of use that A & B will get in those members' hands. But I think we just have to live with the fact that, in forums, we do often find opinions stated as if they were facts - sometimes because the writer can't believe he could ever be wrong :lol: , but sometimes, perhaps, just because the writer finds it wearing to put in all the IMOs, and so on. And, when someone says something like "there's no improvement", I think (perhaps more often than not) that's not always meant to be taken literally.

Oh, and what's better: petrol or milk? :)

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:23 pm

chase wrote:
yes
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

matjones

Post by matjones » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:39 pm

HowlingUlf wrote:
chase wrote:
yes
Around the 32nd of Octember if i'm not mistaken :o
Cubase 10.0.20 Asus P9X79 LE, i7 4820K@ 3.7GHz, 32GB Corsair 1600 RAM, Asus R5 230, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, UAD2 Solo/Quad, UA6176, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM/Trigger etc, SoundToys 5, Waves 10, HALion 6, The Grand 3, BFD3 (+ Expansions), WL9.5, Melodyne Studio 4, Arturia VC7, Relab LX480, iZotope MPS, Eventide XI, Various toys, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG,Sontronics, Shure Mics, Adam A7X and Avantone monitors, AKG K702, ATH-M70x, Nektar P6, Warwick, Spector Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they're open.

andy1324

Post by andy1324 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:28 pm

andyjh wrote:
Sean Dockery wrote:What is the point of these negative denounce topics?
[/quote]

A forum is a central point for exchanging views and debate, Steinberg can then become aware of the general opinion of it's users, and become aware of those issues (they may not react to them, but without the forum they wouldn't know about them).

If we all sat here saying how wonderful everything is, and issues don't matter because we love Steinberg, then it would end up like an East West forum, controlled and not reality. So I certainly respect Steinberg in leaving all debate open.[/quote]

+1

GroovinDJ

Post by GroovinDJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:47 pm

chase wrote:in forums, we do often find opinions stated as if they were facts
Amen to that one!

I do try and word my posts to avoid misinterpretation, but some people can't/don't/won't.

I've been on the verge of being banned elsewhere for pointing out 'factpinion' posts - as it was a moderator who posted them!
Cubase - Yamaha n12 - Ableton Live Suite - Reason - Sony Acid Pro - Adobe Audition - Sony Vegas - Virtual DJ - Traktor - Gizmolabs RPM

HorNet505

Post by HorNet505 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:42 am

Delicieuxz wrote:
chase wrote: And, TBH, on the subject you raised of what's logical and what isn't, I don't see how you could have concluded that andyjh hadn't researched any of what's new in C6.
Quite simple. He stated "I haven't come across anything in Cubase 6 that's better." If that's the case, then he hasn't researched all that's changed in Cubase 6, as there are undoubtedly things that are better - regardless of whether he'll use them or not. Therefore, it is logical to say it seems he hasn't researched what's new.
aside of that keep in mind that STEINBERG still has to have an eye at the economical side.
New versions brings new money.
The statements are always the same on every new major upgrade.
Cubase user from the beginning :-)
-------specs-------
Cubase 10.x Pro
Dorico 2 Pro
Windows 7/10
VePro
Fireface UCX + Mindprint TRIO SPDIF
-------------------------------------------
www.ScoringStage.de

goddfodder

Post by goddfodder » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 am

Has anyone not noticed how they moved this awkward forum out of the way to the 'Music Lounge'.

for all you arguing whats fair and not. whats a good forum and not. isnt this censorship???? isn’t it S.HIT to move this forum post out the way.? To hide the negative view I didn’t even agree with, to where most people don’t look.

A good forum I will stand up for here!
Cubase 7/6/5/4 ~ i7 950 ~ Asus P6X58D-E ~ 12Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ~ ATI Radeon HD 5850 ~ 2T Samsung ~ Akasa Nero S ~ Win 7 (64) ~ Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 ~ Yamaha KX 25, Yamaha KX 49, Novation Impulse 61.~ Yamaha HS80's.

JohnOnKeyz

Post by JohnOnKeyz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:24 am

I wonder how fast they would have moved it if it was started in the "Welcome to Steinberg" forums. :lol:

I'm only entering my opinion here because I have not done any research, and don't plan on upgrading at the moment. I have always waited to buy new versions of any software. Windows 7 was the first software I bought without any revisions... and still I waited quite a while. What seems logical, and actually quite simple to me is, if someone wants to upgrade, they should look into the features that would really be useful to them, and make their decision based upon those features.. few or many... that may make an upgrade worthwhile.

There is no difference in sound quality between version 5.x and 6.x. So it all comes down to features. Does it make the workflow easier? Appearance matters to me, personally. Is it cooler to look at? etc... etc... These things are no brainers for me. Whether I am in a good run for money, or conserving in the dry spells, it is still money, and it still goes away if you spend it. So as much as one can find out about what they are spending their money on... should be a priority.

Just my opinion. :)
John
(Maryland, USA)
~~~ the Aftereffekt ~~~ - - - - - | | | - - - - - ~~~ Slyd Studios ~~~

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 am

goddfodder wrote:isn’t it S.HIT to move this forum post out the way.? To hide the negative view I didn’t even agree with, to where most people don’t look.
So members of the general public can witness the shenanigans of steinberg folk (users) and be turned off immediately thus driving down revenue and giving us less bug fixes over time?

twilightsong

Post by twilightsong » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Sean Dockery

The great Duke point guard?

If so... I still remember that half-court shot you made at the buzzer to beat Virginia Tech!
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:35 am

Steve Fogal wrote:I for one will not just keep investing and investing into a company who's 'business approach' is nearly approaching being unethical. They are not the stupid one's here. The best way to deal with any company, any story or any business is by NOT keep throwing your money at them. Fight back by DEMANDING BY NOT BUYING/UPGRADING. ...Or just keep buying/upgrading it's YOUR money not mine! Buying may be the best 'flattery' but mutiny is even better! :D
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =20&t=3731

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 am

It's why I'm waiting for a demo. Granted, I don't have any concrete plans to update but I do want to demo the thing first anyway, you never know. It is interesting to find out some things from "unsatisfied buyers" that don't seem to get talked about otherwise like...
... "jump to plugin automation" which, on closer inspection, only work on VST3 plugins and then only the Steinberg ones...
... is that true? I gave them major props on that feature as a move toward improving workflow because I really hate digging through parameter lists. If it only works on Steinberg's VST plugs it's not nearly as useful as the marketing implies.

Cubase 6 looks like a great update to me overall but I wouldn't upgrade in the blind anyway since they've started offering demos. I'll wait until then to form any opinions under the assumption that they'll eventually post it and I can make up my own mind about it.

Aside from that, if people think any product won't have at least a few unhappy (or regretful) buyers, they're living in Disneyland. Not sure what the big deal is really, with some of the reactions. It seems the vast majority are quite happy.

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:30 am

Steve Fogal wrote:Well, I have to say that I do not have the issues with the program itself like others, I was only speaking for those who are doing all the complaining...in my speaking up for the underdog-in-a-devils-A-Hole-like-fasion :P
Perhaps it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

At least we have this lounge where we can tear into each other, vent, whine, moan etc and not worry so much about being guested.

That in itself is a step FORWARDS

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”