Page 2 of 3

Re: [Music] HornForHire/surfer/Lenny Lee - Everybody's Fine

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 pm
by HornForHire
I put up another version:
- Ride cymbal in the second and third chorus (good call, Early! :) )
- Fixed some vocal issues (thanks Ian! 8-) )
- A few minor level and EQ tweaks

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
Much appreciated.

Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 am
by Sherz
Bravo!

Image

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:13 pm
by arimus
As if I heard a couple of Mu Major chords... That is sick, man. :D

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm
by Pearldivers
This is a great track Wim. Really tasty. I like the "softening/decline" on the word fine leading into each chorus.
Subtle but substantial. Some soul-sounding BV oohs too, well done. The vocals all round are excellent, with close
harmonies throughout. Cool. Love the Dutch "anuddder day".... ;)

Nice work from Mr B on the lyrics.

I'll say Lenny sounds OK. :lol: MIA. Narlsworthy. © Jet Crawford 2012.

Looking like a hot several few months Mr K. Nice!

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:27 pm
by CUBASE6_USER
I like this track, it's catchy and has a nice hook to it.
yes fine :D great job!

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:45 pm
by Pearldivers
Steve Fogal wrote:Catchy, nice one...that was one bad @$$ sax outro :-) Hey Wim, your voice qualities remind me a little of Neil Young, especial when you sang the words 'old man'. Nice work all.
I think Wim is one way-underated singer.

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 am
by HornForHire
Sherz wrote:Bravo!

Image
Thanks! :D

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:52 am
by HornForHire
arimus wrote:As if I heard a couple of Mu Major chords... That is sick, man. :D
Haha, yes, you heard it right Ari! :D

For those of you who don't know the Mu Major chords: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_chord
Or: http://www.hakwright.co.uk/steelydan/mu-major.html

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 am
by HornForHire
Pearldivers wrote:This is a great track Wim. Really tasty. I like the "softening/decline" on the word fine leading into each chorus.
Subtle but substantial. Some soul-sounding BV oohs too, well done. The vocals all round are excellent, with close
harmonies throughout. Cool.
Thanks Jet! :)
you also wrote:Love the Dutch "anuddder day".... ;)
D@mn! Missed that one! :twisted:
you also wrote:Nice work from Mr B on the lyrics.

I'll say Lenny sounds OK. :lol: MIA. Narlsworthy. © Jet Crawford 2012.

Looking like a hot several few months Mr K. Nice!
Haha, thanks! :D

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 am
by HornForHire
CUBASE6_USER wrote:I like this track, it's catchy and has a nice hook to it.
yes fine :D great job!
Thanks for listening! :)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:58 am
by HornForHire
Steve Fogal wrote:Catchy, nice one...that was one bad @$$ sax outro :-)
Thanks Steve! 8-)
You also wrote:Hey Wim, your voice qualities remind me a little of Neil Young, especial when you sang the words 'old man'. Nice work all.
Neil Young eh? I can live with that! :D

Cheers,
Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 am
by HornForHire
Pearldivers wrote:I think Wim is one way-underated singer.
You're way too kind... :oops:
I know my limitations, but I love singing, especially those harmonies! :)

Thanks my friend! 8-)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 pm
by Dave S
Hi guys

Just thought I'd give this another listen. Great stuff. 8-)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am
by HornForHire
Thanks Dave! 8-)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 pm
by plectrumboy
This has got a lovely 70's/80's atmosphere to it - I can't think of anything specific, other than a bit of harmony that was beautifully reminiscent of Peaches en Regalia (is that the name?)

Lovely stuff. But to be a little bit controversial, I thought the mix was lacking in the low end - it sounded a bit too mid-range. I always feel controversial if I mention anything about a mix because I feel very poorly qualified to do so; but I'm reminded of the last Lenny Lee thing I heard, which he recorded on a portable Zoom recorder, and the bass spectrum on that recording sounded much fuller to my ears.

Great tune.

Steve.

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:23 pm
by kzarider
Really great track w/killer lyrics, groove and playing. Bari at end is makes me drool I used a sample on my last tune and now I know why it sucks :) wow I am defiantly a fan Wim hope we play together one day. ....Lenny, great solid pocket. I think the snare sound is good and fits in track and the high end really helps bring out the rattle, did you mic top and bottom? Hat sounds great too. How did you do the eq on snare? Love to learn the secrets

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 am
by HornForHire
plectrumboy wrote:This has got a lovely 70's/80's atmosphere to it - I can't think of anything specific, other than a bit of harmony that was beautifully reminiscent of Peaches en Regalia (is that the name?)

Lovely stuff. But to be a little bit controversial, I thought the mix was lacking in the low end - it sounded a bit too mid-range. I always feel controversial if I mention anything about a mix because I feel very poorly qualified to do so; but I'm reminded of the last Lenny Lee thing I heard, which he recorded on a portable Zoom recorder, and the bass spectrum on that recording sounded much fuller to my ears.

Great tune.
Hi Steve,

I usually roll off the bottom end of most instruments, except the kick and bass, to keep the mix clear, but maybe I overdid it this time? I''ll have another listen.
Thanks for the listen.

Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:46 am
by HornForHire
kzarider wrote:Really great track w/killer lyrics, groove and playing. Bari at end is makes me drool I used a sample on my last tune and now I know why it sucks :) wow I am defiantly a fan Wim hope we play together one day. ....Lenny, great solid pocket. I think the snare sound is good and fits in track and the high end really helps bring out the rattle, did you mic top and bottom? Hat sounds great too. How did you do the eq on snare? Love to learn the secrets
Hi Kenny,

The drums are EZDrummer, I used the standard snare. I didn't do much EQ wise, I can't check it right now, 'cause I'm not near my DAW at the moment, but I rolled of some bottom end and I think I made a narrow cut 'round 250 Hz.
I also boosted the high end on the snare bottom mic, to bring out the rattle of the snares.
So, no real secrets... :)

I can recommend this book by Bobby Owsinski:
http://bobbyowsinski.com/The_Mixing_Eng ... dbook.html
It helped me a lot.

Thanks for listening and who knows, maybe we'll do a collab in the future?... 8-)

Cheers,
Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:58 am
by Scab Pickens
Very cool ! 8-)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:23 pm
by HornForHire
Thanks Scab! 8-)

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 pm
by desert
Nice tune wim/lenny can't help hearing Steely Dan...very clever vocal harmonies ,well done and like the solo double.
A joy to listen to. :D :D

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:42 pm
by HornForHire
Hi Peter,

Long time no see! How are you doing?

Thanks for the listen,
Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 am
by Jonathan5456
Hey, overall I did really like the arrangement and the chord progressions and melodies were nice and easy listening, although my ears wanted some variation on both the harmony and melody on repeats of it within each verse/chorus. Mix sounded well balanced, although I'm not that well versed to specify mix stuff, it just sounded good.

Actually didn't like the guys voice at first because of some of the pronunciation on the words but his voice is good and has the right kinda emotion for a track like this and some more into the song I liked it more. Also liked the piano playing, being a poor pianist myself, I found the parts interesting, it's not a genre of music I ever listen to but I enjoyed listening to this.

Can't comment on lyrics cos for some reason I've never ever, in any song, bothered listening to the lyrics ^^

Overall it hit my ears easily so well done to you all with the quality recording.

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:54 am
by HornForHire
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments!

As a non-native speaker (I'm Dutch) I'm interested to hear where I can improve my pronunciation.
Could you specify some of the words that don't sound right to you?
Thanks in advance. :)

Cheers,
Wim

Re: [Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm
by bluebob
great work wim, listening again, love the progression jump to the lead at 2min. I've heard your voice may times so maybe after that exposure I understand everything you sing perfectly.
cool collab and really a nice mix on the brass elements