Welcome SpectraLayers!

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Luis Dongo

Welcome SpectraLayers!

Post by Luis Dongo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:25 pm

Dear Forum Members,

we are very pleased to welcome a new member to the Steinberg product family: SpectraLayers Pro 6.

SpectraLayers is a new approach to audio editing, with new concepts to transform the way you work. For the first time you can directly edit spectral data, opening advanced sonic worlds, and use innovative enhancements to traditional techniques. Visualize audio in astonishing new ways — including 3D, work with mixes as if they were tracks and integrate all of these abilities into your DAW and other tools.

Some of the key features in SpectraLayers are:

• Surgical and intuitive spectral editing with 25 real-time tools
• Advanced Selection Engine
• Selection-based effects
• The only visual transformation system for sound
• Tracks, Regions and Clips separated as Layers
• ARA 2 and AAX compatibility
• Integration of other audio editors, such as WaveLab or iZotope RX
• 12 remappable surround channels
• 2D and 3D visualization of the Spectrogram
• Native restoration effects, spectral noise reduction and reverb removal

And to welcome SpectraLayers into the Steinberg family, we are offering an introduction discount of 50% to all our customers until August 31, 2019.

Visit the SpectraLayers product page to find out more about this amazing audio editor and everything you can do with it.

All the best,
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

PleaseDontBanMe

Re: Welcome SpectraLayers!

Post by PleaseDontBanMe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:20 pm

HUGE!

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:35 pm

That's the sickest thing I've seen in years!
Saw the videos on youtube first and I was just screaming with my hand over my mouth haha!
I had to google it and now I know more but ...
I nnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeed to ...
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm

The web site is has very good pictures but no actual audio examples that I could find.
What does it offer sonicaly that I cant do with wavelab?
Is there a demo?
What about elicencer requirements ?

Hippo
i9 9900k 32gig ram Steinberg UR44 Windows 10

dr

Post by dr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:11 pm

Hippo wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm
The web site is has very good pictures but no actual audio examples that I could find.
What does it offer sonicaly that I cant do with wavelab?
Is there a demo?
What about elicencer requirements ?
all good questions :)

e.Blue

Post by e.Blue » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:25 pm

How do owners of the Magix versions of SpectralLayers upgrade to SL6? Magix doesn't use e-Licenser.

-e

PleaseDontBanMe

Post by PleaseDontBanMe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm

e.Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:25 pm
How do owners of the Magix versions of SpectralLayers upgrade to SL6? Magix doesn't use e-Licenser.

-e
the upgrade prices are in the store... im guessing by entering your previous serial.

Kaya Orsan

Post by Kaya Orsan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

Wouldn't recommend it so far. Integration is very clunky.

When you enable the SpectraLayer extension for an event, it entirely replaces the regular Sample Editor in Cubase. That means you can't use AudioWarp, VariAudio, Hitpoints, etc. together with SpectraLayer editing. It's one or the other.

Changes in one editor are lost if you switch to the other. Sometimes the changes are bounced into the file first, sometimes they're not. I can't figure out how to get consistent behavior here.

E.g. if you already have AudioWarp edits on your sample and you turn on the SpectraLayers extension for it, maybe to remove some noise, your AudioWarp edits are just lost. (Without warning or confirmation, by the way)

Edits you make in the SpectraLayer integration aren't reflected in the event's waveform either.
Last edited by Kaya Orsan on Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PleaseDontBanMe

Post by PleaseDontBanMe » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm

Kaya Orsan wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:55 pm

When you enable the SpectraLayer extension for a sample, it entirely replaces the regular Sample Editor in Cubase. That means you can't use AudioWarp, VariAudio, Hitpoints, etc. together with SpectraLayer editing. It's one or the other.

Changes in one editor are lost if you switch to the other. Sometimes the changes are bounced into the file first, sometimes they're disregarded entirely. I can't figure out how to get consistent behavior here.

E.g. if you already had AudioWarp edits on your sample and you turn on the SpectraLayers extension for it, to remove some noise maybe, your AudioWarp edits are just lost. (Without warning or confirmation, by the way)

Edits you make in the SpectraLayer integration aren't reflected in the event's waveform either.

why would you want to stack your editing like that anyways?

Create New Duplicate Track Version, bounce your VariAudio edit, then ARA2 Spectralayers to clean up, bounce that, then you will be back at your regular Cubase editor.

Kaya Orsan

Post by Kaya Orsan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:13 pm

PleaseDontBanMe wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm
why would you want to stack your editing like that anyways?
Why would I want to do the same work in fewer steps?
PleaseDontBanMe wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm
then you will be back at your regular Cubase editor.
The sales pitch wasn't that you have to bounce things multiple times, or switch back and forth between editors. I'm just pointing out that the plugin isn't as neatly integrated into Cubase's workflow as some might be led to believe.

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:24 pm

If you have to do all that mucking about I think i`ll stick with wavelab for my spectral editing tasks, it works very well for pops, hisss breath control, ambient noise removal, squeaky chair noises etc and is integrated just as well in practice it seems.

Hippo

jconstantine

Post by jconstantine » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 pm

I need a demo before proceed with the purchase
Windows 10 64 ,i7 7700k 4.2 Ghz,32 RAM DDR4,Asus Prime Z270-A ,Nvidia GForce GT710,SSD 250 GB,RME UFX+,RME AIO,Apollo 8,Macbook Air i5 2017,Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, GA4,Pro Tools 12.8, UAD 2, SSL Native, Waves Gold,hardware synths & samplers.
Kronos2, Avid Artist Mix,Yamaha 01v96i,NS10,Behritone,Genelec 8050a and VXT8

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:18 pm

PleaseDontBanMe wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 pm
e.Blue wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:25 pm
How do owners of the Magix versions of SpectralLayers upgrade to SL6? Magix doesn't use e-Licenser
the upgrade prices are in the store... im guessing by entering your previous serial.
I just went through the usual purchase process, activated the license using the code, downloaded the installer and that was it .... it didn't ask for any serial number, so perhaps the installer detects it automatically (I have the Magix SL already installed on this machine).
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

balinas

Post by balinas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm

jconstantine wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 pm
You might see if there is a demo of SL5. It’s not ara2 compatible, just standalone, but that will give you an idea as the basics of the program.
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, WIN 10 (1809), Intel i9 9900 5GHz, 32GB RAM, , MCU-PRO, Yamaha Classic Motif 6, Focusrite Asa ONE

Arnesaks

Post by Arnesaks » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 pm

I've just bought it, but - as already seen with Melodyne - in Cubase I've been forced to lower the audio processing resolution from 64bit float to 32bit float, otherwise Spectralayers didn't allow to hear the audio while editing. And it's impossible to edit without monitoring what you're doing.

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:59 pm

It's a standalone application too. The ARA2 feature is new to both SpectraLayers and Cubase, so I'd advise getting familiar with the standalone application first.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:40 pm

balinas wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:53 pm
jconstantine wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 pm
You might see if there is a demo of SL5. It’s not ara2 compatible, just standalone, but that will give you an idea as the basics of the program
I'm sure Steinberg will provide a demo soon (which will probably require a USB-eLicenser), but a free demo of SL5 is still available from the Magix website.

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am

Tried the free demo

This program seems to have been around for a decade or so.

Sold on to this owner and that.

Personally, I’ve never heard of it until today, but as more of an industry standard person that’s not surprising.

It’s fun stuff but what use is it really?
It reminds me of the hovercraft, brilliant idea, great technically no doubt but a solution looking for a problem in the end.

In all that time no really killer examples of any thing specific that can’t be done in another way.

No examples of actual hi art stuff made possible because of it.

No breakthrough scientific stuff.

In the end it ended up as audio program that is being sold on its graphics?

Desperation?

It’s very attractive, very clever, must be of some use commercially and/ or artistically, but?

I await the expert video showing the audio examples that are day to day useful.

After 10 years there should be thousands in this innovative creative community.

I hope Steinberg can crack this really commercial “hovercraft” problem where so many failed in the past.

Hippo

Steinberg user since 1984

PleaseDontBanMe

Post by PleaseDontBanMe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:19 am

Hippo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 am
Tried the free demo

This program seems to have been around for a decade or so.

Sold on to this owner and that.

Personally, I’ve never heard of it until today, but as more of an industry standard person that’s not surprising.

It’s fun stuff but what use is it really?
It reminds me of the hovercraft, brilliant idea, great technically no doubt but a solution looking for a problem in the end.

In all that time no really killer examples of any thing specific that can’t be done in another way.

No examples of actual hi art stuff made possible because of it.

No breakthrough scientific stuff.

In the end it ended up as audio program that is being sold on its graphics?

Desperation?

It’s very attractive, very clever, must be of some use commercially and/ or artistically, but?

I await the expert video showing the audio examples that are day to day useful.

After 10 years there should be thousands in this innovative creative community.

I hope Steinberg can crack this really commercial “hovercraft” problem where so many failed in the past.

Hippo

Steinberg user since 1984
Where did you get the demo?

mitchiemasha

Post by mitchiemasha » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:20 am

Kaya Orsan wrote:

When you enable the SpectraLayer extension for an event, it entirely replaces the regular Sample Editor in Cubase. That means you can't use AudioWarp, VariAudio, Hitpoints, etc. together with SpectraLayer editing. It's one or the other.

Changes in one editor are lost if you switch to the other. Sometimes the changes are bounced into the file first, sometimes they're not. I can't figure out how to get consistent behavior here.

E.g. if you already have AudioWarp edits on your sample and you turn on the SpectraLayers extension for it, maybe to remove some noise, your AudioWarp edits are just lost. (Without warning or confirmation, by the way)

Isn't that because we don't have ARA yet? I thought spectral layers was going to rely on ARA integration or has the Cubase update dropped too?
W10, CP10, i7 9700k, Noctua NH-U9S, MSI z390, 16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4, PCIe NVME 970 Pro, AC-1 Carillon Case, Be Quiet Straight Power 11, Virus TI (Integrated), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped), Novation Stations, Nord Rack 2, JV1080, 2x Presonus Firestudio, Dynaudio BM5's mkII & Eve SC305's.

Sonik

Post by Sonik » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:13 am

Kaya Orsan wrote:

:o
MacPro 8 core 16gb HD 5770 10.11.6|Cubase Pro 10.0.30|Wavelab 9.5|Studio One 4.5|Protools 12.4|Logic X|Apollo Quad|4xUAD-2 (14 core)
Manley Massive Passive|Thermionic Phoenix Mastering Plus|Maselec MLA-2|API 2500|Avalon 737sp|Summit TLA-100A|Distressor EL8-X|Apogee Symphony||Euphonix McMix x2|Dangerous Music 2 Bus LT|ATC SCM20 ASL Pro|Amphion One18|
Halion Sonic 3|Komplete10|Stylus RMX|Trilian|Omnisphere 2.6|VSL Strings|EW Pianos|ReFx Nexus 2|AirMusicTech|Sylenth|Predator|Kick 2|Serum
UAD|Waves|Soundtoys|Melodyne|Softube|Brainworx|PluginAlliance|Fabfilter|

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:56 am

Why not commit to tape like in the olden days?
Do you HAVE TO juggle everything all the time until mixdown?
Also, it's not meant to replace anything and nothing is taken away.
With SpectraLayer you get another tool that does its own thing and you don't need it all the time on everything.
Just use it when you need it and commit to ... hard drive. You can bounce the result, right?

I checked a bunch of youtube videos last night and SpectraLayer probably isn't for everyone.
If you record "regular music", mix it and send it away it's probably only going to be an expensive doorstop.
But if you like to take already recorded stuff and twist it into new things of your sick imaginations ... SpectraLayer is spectacular.
It's more like a sound design tool and a sound re-design tool than a utility tool like WaveLab.
I have WaveLab and it's integrated in Cubase just fine and it's a fantastic tool that saves the day when there is an "oops" here and there, and that's not the end of what you can do.

However, it's not SpectraLayer.
Before Magix had SpectraLayer it was a Sony product and maybe it started even before that?
Magix released version 5 and now Steinberg releases SpectraLayer 6.
There are lots of youtube videos from older versions with spectacular stuff hidden under a lot of talk!
Man, can some people not get enough of their own voices haha!
Anyways ...

What you apparently CAN do is to rip the organ out of Del Shannons "Runaway" so it almost sounds like it's soloed with very little artifacts.
Since you won't use the result of such an operation on its own but in a mix of some kind you can do that seamlessly.
If you can do that you can rip entire mixes apart and turn mono mixes into your own stereo mixes, remix them and add FX.
You can remove a police siren from one news segment and add that siren in the background of a video at the docks with tankers tooting their own horns.
You can add more reverb to the siren and clean it up and it sounds great among the boats.
Plus ... you can choose to either have the siren completely inaudible in the news segment or you add it at a level where it doesn't disturb the dialog.

Then there are these selection tools that are beyond iZotope RX where you can turn the audio file in 3d space to view it better.
You have a better selection of root tone and harmonics, you have tools to select wide and narrow, high and low.
And I haven't even mentioned the PhotoShop like layers you can use as a mixer and get out of SpectraLayer individually into your DAW-
There are other things that just danced by on the screen fast that I would have to look closer at to describe.
This is not the end of the WTFs :o :shock: emitted last night over here, I can tell you!

And the videos I saw was from versions 2-5 ...
Now SpectraLayer is a Steinberg product integrated into Cubase via ARA.
It could be worse?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.0.20 | Steinberg WaveLab 9.5 | Steinberg Absolute 2 |
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Tom H

Post by Tom H » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 am

I tried this a few years ago when I was naively attempting to separate vocals from a mix (you'll never get a stem unless you got a stem).
After a week of fiddling, I abandoned it and it rotted on my hard drive until I built a new computer.
I still have the Sony license key somewhere.
I suppose it's a good tool for cleaning up an otherwise pristine sample but its application is pretty narrow and it has a relatively steep learning curve.
It's interesting, but not very useful for me.
Intel i7 6900, 64GB, MSI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, Win 10 Pro 64, Antelope Orion 32 HD
USB: Virus TI2, Komplete Kontrol S88, Maschine Studio, OB-6, SUB 37, eLicenser, iLok
PCIe: UAD Octo
MIDI: Fantom X, Eventide Eclipse, other stuff.
Cubase Pro 10, Live 10 Suite.
Komplete 12 Ultimate+, iZotope, Powered Plugins, FabFilter, SoundToys, Waves Mercury+, Spectrasonics, Sylenth, Serum, D16, GForce, SynthMaster, Nexus, Valhalla, etc.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”