Help choose my mic setting!

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
weszme

Help choose my mic setting!

Post by weszme » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:52 am

I have had a Lauten Atlantis for a couple of years now. Although I can discern the best voicing for other people's vocals, I get stunned with indecision when it comes to my own :cry:

I'm about to start recording some new tracks so I'd love some input from others to help me commit to setting!

My chain: Atlantis -> ISA Two preamp -> Apollo Twin Mkii
No EQ / Reverb just a little L2 to bring the levels up

This is me singing a verse and chorus of Born & Raised by John Mayer on all three mic voice settings.

Forward:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yil8km3r6oldf ... d.mp3?dl=0

Neutral:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhz93x2adjs4s ... l.mp3?dl=0

Gentle:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw7q2yiv8z9qf ... e.mp3?dl=0

I think I prefer the forward setting but I'm worried that I'm being misled by the 'high-end hype'

I'd appreciate any input!

TEEF

Re: Help choose my mic setting!

Post by TEEF » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:35 pm

I prefer the forward sample as well
though I would just like it to be a little smoother sounding. Sounds extremely clean but lacks a little bit of creaminess/ smoothness if you get what I mean, especially if you're comparing it to John Mayer. It pairs well with the acoustic because the acoustic is really clean, but I'd like to hear a little bit more density and the mids and low mids. Try inserting a la-2a. You can also try singing the vowels more from your chest instead of throat.

Your voice sounds good, no complaints other than wanting to optimize the overall sound.
TEEF

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:58 pm

Try processing all samples to where you want your voice to be. Sometimes something sounds better than another before processing, but after processing you realize that the one that sounded less good can get the qualities of the one you initially liked more, but not the other way around.

So it isn't always clear.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Nickeldome

Post by Nickeldome » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:56 am

It really depends on what sound you're trying to achieve? But in this setting I'd personally go for the 'forward' sound. For me this really sounds the most 'honest' and authentic.
Cubase Pro - Wavelab Pro (always latest version) Windows 10 Pro 64bit / Asus TUF Mark 1 X299 / i9-7900X (at 4.3 GHZ) / 64GB RAM / Geforce GTX 1060 6G / System drive Samsung M.2 1TB 960Pro / Kontakt drives 3 x 1TB Samsung Evo / Project/Audio/Archive drive 10TB Seagate Ironwolf - Audio interface: Roland UA-1610 / External gear: Kawai MP11 / Kurzweil PC88 / Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 / Roland JV1080 / Roland D50 / Korg 01/W / Elka EK22 – Midi controllers: Roli Seabord Rise 49, SoundQuest 8port-SE / Nektar Panorama P1 / Roland Octopad II / Akai MPD18 - Main VST's: Kontakt 6 / Padshop Pro / Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2.6, Trillian & Keyscape / Arturia V-collection / FXpansion BFD 3 / Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
All time user of Cubase since Atari V2 (around 1990)

weszme

Post by weszme » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks for the responses all. Good to know my instincts were probably correct. Great to get an outside opinion sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to emulate John Mayer's sound at all. It just happened to be a song that I've been playing a lot lately :D

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”