When is WL 9 coming out?

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
Rat

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Rat » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:42 am

Arjan P wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again; I couldn't care less how it looks. As long as the functionality is there - and with Wavelab, the functionality is still better than many others.
Yes. Exactly. And with reliability.
Regards

Paul

Paul Rat Blakey
12th & Vine Post

Windows 10 Professional (x64), Intel Core i7 7700 Quad Core LGA 1151 3.6 GHz CPU, 32 GB RAM, Gigabyte Z270M-D3H LGA 1151 mATX Motherboard, 2 x Intel Pro 5400S Series 256GB SSD (system and session drives), RME HDSPe AIO, Mytek converters

WaveLab 9.5 Pro current release, ProTools, iLok, DMG (Dave Gamble), Sony Oxford, Weiss, Class A Solid State and Custom Stuff

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:45 pm

Rommelaar wrote:That's a nice vintage looking keyboard, Greggybud! :P
:lol:
I have used Oberheim MC3000 and CME VX8 in the past, both hammer action controllers and I would prefer either over the Studio Logic VMK-188plus. There isn't a huge difference among the 3. All of them are relatively heavy, but the VMK-188plus huge shortcoming is huge velocity gaps compared to others. Oberheim MC3000...good luck even finding one. CME VX8...most are probably bricks by now.
Arjan P wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again; I couldn't care less how it looks. As long as the functionality is there - and with Wavelab, the functionality is still better than many others.
Functionality? Are you kidding yourself? We all had better be thankful PG is in the captains chair because I don't think Steinberg prioritizes functionality or even workflow over the "features" in Cubase that apparently sell new DAWS. It isn't about making key commands work. It isn't about adding a simple feature like mix undo. It's all about adding stuff that will appeal to newbies regardless of a 3rd party doing it better. Core functionality and improved workflow only appeal to crusty old farts trying to get stuff done quicker. Maybe we should just be thankful Wavelab isn't competing with the DAWS.
Windows 7x64, Wavelab 9.5, latest Cubase version, i7, 16g, SSD, (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750ti driving 2 32" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, 4 TB HDs, UAD-2, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

Justin P

Post by Justin P » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:35 am

greggybud wrote:
Rommelaar wrote:We all had better be thankful PG is in the captains chair because I don't think Steinberg prioritizes functionality or even workflow over the "features" in Cubase that apparently sell new DAWS.
I don't use any other Steinberg products so I don't look at those forums, but I'm very thankful for PG's presence here. I'm not sure if other Steinberg developers are as active on Cubase/Nuendo forums.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

Rommelaar

Post by Rommelaar » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:44 pm

greggybud wrote:
I have used Oberheim MC3000 and CME VX8 in the past, both hammer action controllers and I would prefer either over the Studio Logic VMK-188plus. There isn't a huge difference among the 3. All of them are relatively heavy, but the VMK-188plus huge shortcoming is huge velocity gaps compared to others. Oberheim MC3000...good luck even finding one. CME VX8...most are probably bricks by now.
I was refering to the keyboard you use when you write on this forum. I haven't seen such beige/yellow white ones in ages. :lol:
Rig: i7-5960X, Asus X99 Deluxe, Corsair LPX DDR4 64 GB RAM, Samsung 34" C34F791, Asus Strix GTX 970, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Audio hardware:KRK Rokit 6, Steinberg UR44 / CMC: AI, 4xFD, CH, QC, TP, PD, Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, ZOOM H6, Akai MAX49, Akai MPD226
Software: Cubase Pro 10.0.30, Nuendo 10.1, Wavelab Pro 9.5.50, Dorico 2.2, Spectralayers, RapidComposer v3.71
Favourite plugin developers: Fabfilter, Image Line, Spectrasonics, Steinberg, Synapse audio, Vengeance sound, Waldorf, Zynaptiq

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:17 pm

greggybud wrote:
Functionality? Are you kidding yourself? We all had better be thankful PG is in the captains chair because I don't think Steinberg prioritizes functionality or even workflow over the "features" in Cubase that apparently sell new DAWS. It isn't about making key commands work. It isn't about adding a simple feature like mix undo. It's all about adding stuff that will appeal to newbies regardless of a 3rd party doing it better. Core functionality and improved workflow only appeal to crusty old farts trying to get stuff done quicker. Maybe we should just be thankful Wavelab isn't competing with the DAWS.
No, I'm not kidding myself. And I'm not aware of any Cubase or even Steinberg related remark from me in this topic. But you apparently needed something off your chest, hope it helped.
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 9.5.50 | Cubase 10.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:08 pm

Rommelaar wrote:
greggybud wrote:
I was refering to the keyboard you use when you write on this forum. I haven't seen such beige/yellow white ones in ages. :lol:
LOL. Wrong again. My project studio is not connected to the internet. The keyboard on the left is only used for a Windows 98 PC running a very old MOTU Unisyn while I make a 2-year library transfer from Unisyn to MidiQuest11. I had thousands of tagged patches in Unisyn. My studio keyboard is the blue back lit one under the QconPro.
Windows 7x64, Wavelab 9.5, latest Cubase version, i7, 16g, SSD, (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750ti driving 2 32" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, 4 TB HDs, UAD-2, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Arjan P wrote: No, I'm not kidding myself. And I'm not aware of any Cubase or even Steinberg related remark from me in this topic. But you apparently needed something off your chest, hope it helped.
It does help to get it off my chest. But it seems to always build up again. :lol:
My point is that I'm grateful PG is in control instead of Steinberg.

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:17 pm

greggybud wrote:
It does help to get it off my chest. But it seems to always build up again. :lol:
My point is that I'm grateful PG is in control instead of Steinberg.
But who do you think pays PG? No offense but Yamaha and Steinberg are IN CONTROL by the mere fact that they pay PG so YES they are in control.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Room With a View Productions
http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 24 years in business in 2019

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:47 pm

Thomas, do you use Cubase 8 on a daily basis?

While IMO it's the most feature-rich DAW of any available, and the best for what I do, it still has poor shortcomings. Like any DAW, they have to cater to the prosumer market which unfortunately means continually adding new features. There is nothing wrong with that but resources are always limited. Some old features never get fixed. Core functions suffer. Workflow suffers. And those "boring" features such as mix undo are seemingly low priority while they outsource an improved version of Loop Mash. They want to call it "pro" yet release broken Mackie MCU upon first release just prior to Christmas.

While you can't really even compare the two, I don't see the same historical cycles and issues with Wavelab. I think it is because Steinberg/Yamaha gives much freedom to PG? This, I'm thankful for.

I wouldn't pretend to know the inner workings of their relationships. I'm only basing my thoughts on how Wavelab has evolved since version 4 and how Cubase has evolved since 1997.

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:08 pm

AFAIK, Philippe started Wavelab on his own, with Steinberg only being involved in distribution in the early days. I don't know how that relationship (or ownership) is now - and I'm sure the two are more intertwined - but it explains the differences in approach. Certainly if you compare earlier versions.
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 9.5.50 | Cubase 10.0 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Arjan P wrote:AFAIK, Philippe started Wavelab on his own, with Steinberg only being involved in distribution in the early days. I don't know how that relationship (or ownership) is now - and I'm sure the two are more intertwined - but it explains the differences in approach. Certainly if you compare earlier versions.
As you know I am a real PG and WL supporter. I have used WL since version 1.6. I have always relied on WL up though version 6. My whole mastering operation is built around its use. When version 7 come out, after it was "ported" to the mac, something changed. Not only was it no longer intuitive to use it started being crash prone. It also did not play nicely with other third party plugins which was a real downer. I thought when version 8 came out that things would change for the better but I was mistaken. With version 8.5.3 WL is no longer a "trusted" piece of software. it crashes and does it when I have mastering clients in the room - not good. I have had many problems with it and I seem not to be able to "fix"them. Now an 8.5.4 patch is coming out and Version 9 is on the way. I finally got around a lot of the problems by going back to version 6 on my Window 7 machine and so far that seems to be stable. I see by reading the forums that I am NOT the only one with problems. I hope version 9 solves the problems and provides a good stable platform that works well with all third party plugins. Only time will tell.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:18 pm

I, too, am anxious for WL9! And that said, I have come to the realization that for my Win7 PC and Steinberg products, if I want to have a good Steinberg experience, I would need to ditch all other plugins except Waves and iZotope. And funny thing, when I ditched all the other oddball plugins that I was trying so to hard like, my recording software improved noticeably. Faster startups, faster shutdowns, and smoother operation. I have decided that only the BIG plugin companies will go the extra mile to create DAW friendly plugins. The other guys are not in the same league, sorry.
Cubase 10 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 9.5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (1903 update installed), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI card), M-Audio Keystation 61es controller via an M-Audio Midi-Sport 1X1.

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:26 pm

mr.roos wrote:I, too, am anxious for WL9! And that said, I have come to the realization that for my Win7 PC and Steinberg products, if I want to have a good Steinberg experience, I would need to ditch all other plugins except Waves and iZotope. And funny thing, when I ditched all the other oddball plugins that I was trying so to hard like, my recording software improved noticeably. Faster startups, faster shutdowns, and smoother operation. I have decided that only the BIG plugin companies will go the extra mile to create DAW friendly plugins. The other guys are not in the same league, sorry.
I have been using WL6 on my Windows 7 machine and it has been working "flawlessly" for over two weeks. I went back to 8.5.3 and immediately starting having crashes. Not sure what is causing them but...I am tired of dealing with them. I use the FAB plugins and on Wavelab 6 they work well on WL 8.5.3 nothing but problems. I hope WL9 is all we hope it can be.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

TimoWildenhain

Post by TimoWildenhain » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:09 am

Hello,

thanks for your interest in the upcoming WaveLab! PG and Steinberg are still working on it.
You can expect a MAJOR step forward in terms of user interface, features and workflow!
It might become the most remarkable WaveLab release for a very long time.

More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:32 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

thanks for your interest in the upcoming WaveLab! PG and Steinberg are still working on it.
You can expect a MAJOR step forward in terms of user interface, features and workflow!

More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks.

Thanks,
Timo
WOW!!!

Good if true...

I hope it is also more robust and less prone to crashing.
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:22 pm

TimoWildenhain wrote:It might become the most remarkable WaveLab release for a very long time.
Outstanding!

Thanks for the info!

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

electrodaddy

Post by electrodaddy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Oooooh. Exciting! I have everything crossed that this is true.

toader

Post by toader » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:40 pm

Awesome news! Thanks for the update!
Computer 1: Cubase 10.0.15, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia NVS 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 9.5.40, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Todd Loomis @ https://noiseradiationstudios.com

Ronny K.

Post by Ronny K. » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks,
Timo
This is what i call "proper teasing"

Cant wait to get new Wavelab

Thomas W. Bethel

Post by Thomas W. Bethel » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:22 pm

Please note that he said "More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks." and not that it would be out at that time. FWIW
Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:58 pm

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:Please note that he said "More information on WaveLab Pro 9 and WaveLab Elements 9 will be available in about 8 weeks." and not that it would be out at that time. FWIW
Exactly. Unfortunately for us Steinberg is fond of announcing something - "8 weeks from now" and then making the user community wait 10 more weeks before product is actually available.

In this case - my guess is - proof of concept in Feb 2016 with actual release during Musikmesse in April 2016.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

dangerousbrian

Post by dangerousbrian » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:27 am

Thanks,
Timo
Is there any update?

Is it likely Steinberg will release Wavelab 9 in the next few weeks, or do you feel it will just be an announcement of progress?

Malc
Steinberg:
Cubase Pro 10, Halion 6, Absolute 4, The Grand 3, Halion Symphonic Orchestra Pro, Neo Soul Keys, Groove Agent 5, Wavelab Pro 9.5, BFD 3, Virtual Bassist

Rigs:
Desktop: Dell Optiplex 7050m (silent), Intel Core i5 7500T, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, 512GB Hynix PC300 NVMe (PCIe 3.0 x 4) SSD, Samsung 512GB SATA3 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, HP s340c 34" curved widescreen monitor
Laptop: Dell Latitude e7440, Intel Core i7 4600U, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Hynix 256GB mSATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Music Hardware:
Steinberg UR28m, Steinberg CC121, Steinberg CI2, 2 x Steinberg CMC-FD, Steinberg CMC-PD
Mics:
Sennheiser 845, Shure SM58, Rode NT3, Sontronics STC2, 2 x AKG C567E, Steinberg ST M01, 2 x Audio Technica Wireless Mics, Studiospares M1000, JBL Control One Pro, JBL Control One

Instruments:
Yamaha P150 Stage Piano (studio), Casio PX-300 (gig), Fender Contemporary Telecaster, Simon & Patrick Cedar SP6 Electroacousitc, Squire Acoustic

pwhodges

Post by pwhodges » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:20 pm

They typically announce a release date a few months in advance, along with some teasers of what's coming..

Paul

dangerousbrian

Post by dangerousbrian » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm

I think looking at the previous posts, they are already teasing!! I just wonder whether or not the '8 weeks to an anouncement is going to be the release or just some information. I wonder.....????

Malc
Steinberg:
Cubase Pro 10, Halion 6, Absolute 4, The Grand 3, Halion Symphonic Orchestra Pro, Neo Soul Keys, Groove Agent 5, Wavelab Pro 9.5, BFD 3, Virtual Bassist

Rigs:
Desktop: Dell Optiplex 7050m (silent), Intel Core i5 7500T, 16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, 512GB Hynix PC300 NVMe (PCIe 3.0 x 4) SSD, Samsung 512GB SATA3 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, HP s340c 34" curved widescreen monitor
Laptop: Dell Latitude e7440, Intel Core i7 4600U, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Hynix 256GB mSATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Music Hardware:
Steinberg UR28m, Steinberg CC121, Steinberg CI2, 2 x Steinberg CMC-FD, Steinberg CMC-PD
Mics:
Sennheiser 845, Shure SM58, Rode NT3, Sontronics STC2, 2 x AKG C567E, Steinberg ST M01, 2 x Audio Technica Wireless Mics, Studiospares M1000, JBL Control One Pro, JBL Control One

Instruments:
Yamaha P150 Stage Piano (studio), Casio PX-300 (gig), Fender Contemporary Telecaster, Simon & Patrick Cedar SP6 Electroacousitc, Squire Acoustic

Grundman

Post by Grundman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:52 pm

Pehaps we need to wait until Musikmesse 2016: 7-10.4.2016

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”