http://www.acoustikmusik.com/

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 24 years in business in 2019

panatrope

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by panatrope » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:52 am

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
"Beware the ides of March!" (A Soothsayer)
De gustibus - et sonus - non disputandum est

StudioCompyfox

Post by StudioCompyfox » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:47 pm

So... 15th March is the release date... next Tuesday. Which means... wait until around Musikmesse until the launch-day bugs are ironed out.

I only got three request and I'd love to see a confirmation

FR1: I hope that "RMS Readout" was implemented in the "Batch Analyzer" (it's only set up to drop ITU-R BS.1770-x specs)

FR2: Surround Editing/Rendering

FR3: better VST3 support (it's still buggy!)

And I'd like to know if the Fraunhofer ProCodec is still part of WL9... I'm way too long with Steinberg to know that features are cut without warning or any further reasons.

I also fear that the "minimum requirements" for WL9 will be a bit through the roof as well. Seeing as Windows 10 is out now (fearing for the loss of Win7), and I don't know what RAM WL9 wants to see as minimum this time around.

Thanks for answering
Win7 64bit SP1/Convenience Rollup on Intel Core i7 920, 3,6GHz | Cubase 10.0.20 | Wavelab 9.1.x
Steinberg user since mid 1990s

mrtomcat

Post by mrtomcat » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm

DodgingRain wrote:
ect Release date.... March 15, my birthday. I shall treat myself to a nice WaveLab 9 upgrade
Nope, they released it that day for my birthday, go back to page 5, you can see that I told them to release it on that day. Its my birthday not yours. :lol: :lol:
He He, I might be willing to share "my" birthday release with you....maybe...just maybe 8-)

RayThomas

Post by RayThomas » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

PG....with the release of Wavelab 9.0 imminent are you able to confirm that it will open Montages of previous versions (WL6, WL7, WL8.5)..... since you know that many of us work with these earlier versions to retain functionalities and workflows which are absent or more difficult in the latest version ?

PG

Post by PG » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 pm

are you able to confirm that it will open Montages of previous versions (WL6, WL7, WL8.5)
Yes I can confirm. There is even better WaveLab 6 montage support (some VST plugins could not be imported in WaveLab 7/8).
many of us work with these earlier versions to retain functionalities and workflows which are absent or more difficult in the latest version
Somehow, WaveLab 9 is a "modernized and enhanced fusion between some WaveLab 6 and 7/8 concepts"...
Philippe

mardila

Post by mardila » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Will WL 9 for Mac also be released on March 15?

OnBeat

Post by OnBeat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:25 pm

I would love to see the backup feature return. I still use Wavelab 6 to archive all my client files. Haven't found a compression method more effective than OSQ. Why was the feature ever dropped?
Oscar Zayas
Onbeat Studios
WPB, FL

Nuendo 10, Cubase 10, Wavelab 10
Windows 10 64 bit, Quad core Intel i7 - 67000K, 16gig ram

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:30 pm

OnBeat wrote:I would love to see the backup feature return. I still use Wavelab 6 to archive all my client files. Haven't found a compression method more effective than OSQ. Why was the feature ever dropped?
Probably because hard drive space is cheap and there is no point on archiving something into a weird format that maybe only WL can unpack (not certain on that?) That sounds dangerous to me to be honest.

All my client files are BC WAV and backed up in three locations. No chance of not being able to read the files or worrying about an app disappearing from the market - along with the only way to decompress the files.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

Justin P

Post by Justin P » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:54 pm

I also personally wouldn't use a bundled file archiver. When a project is done I simply back up the folder for each project on a hard disk and mirror that with Carbon Copy Cloner and the disks are kept in two different locations.

Even if WaveLab is one day not existent, I still have access to all the assets in a generic way to work from.

I could see using the archiver if backing up to DVD-R (maybe) but those days are long gone.
https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/https://www.justincarlperkins.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaveLab/

iMac Pro 3.0GHz 10-Core • 64GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6
Mac Mini 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (6-Core) • 32GB RAM • SSD for OS and audio • MacOS 10.14.6

RME AES HDSPe, MUTEC MC-3+ Smart Clock USB, Grace m905, Grace m900

OnBeat

Post by OnBeat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 pm

I understand both of your points, but I have Wavelab backups going back to 2002 with hundreds of clients and already have a workflow that works. I could always dream that it comes back better than before:-)
Oscar Zayas
Onbeat Studios
WPB, FL

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:58 pm

OnBeat wrote:I understand both of your points, but I have Wavelab backups going back to 2002 with hundreds of clients and already have a workflow that works. I could always dream that it comes back better than before:-)
Understood. But I highly doubt that item is top of mind for WL9.

To be honest - I have been a user for 10 years and this is the first I have heard of this feature :)

Guess we will see tomorrow - IF the software is actually "released" or just "announced".

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

PG

Post by PG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:49 pm

This backup feature was removed because:
* It used ZIP, which is limited to 2 GB.
* Some other audio packers such as WavPack, do a better job than OSQ (eg. 32 bit float support)
* Some dedicated archiver like WinRar, are more flexible and powerful.

The nice thing, was the integration inside WaveLab 6.

This being said, the new Project feature of WaveLab 9, might call for an archiving extension in the future...
Philippe

PG

Post by PG » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Guess we will see tomorrow - IF the software is actually "released" or just "announced".
Both...
Philippe

OnBeat

Post by OnBeat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 pm

PG wrote:This backup feature was removed because:
* It used ZIP, which is limited to 2 GB.
* Some other audio packers such as WavPack, do a better job than OSQ (eg. 32 bit float support)
* Some dedicated archiver like WinRar, are more flexible and powerful.

The nice thing, was the integration inside WaveLab 6.

This being said, the new Project feature of WaveLab 9, might call for an archiving extension in the future...
That would be awesome!! Thanks PG.
Oscar Zayas
Onbeat Studios
WPB, FL

Mr Helpmann

Post by Mr Helpmann » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 am

Now it is the 15.03.2016. At which time Wavelab 9 will be released today?
W10 Pro 64; Cubase 8.5 Pro; Wavelab 9; i7 4790K; 32GB RAM DDR3; Asus Maximus VII Ranger; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970; 480 GB SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro; 960 GB SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro; 2x Toshiba SATA à 3 TB; UR22; Adam P22 A; CC121; 2x Dell U2715H;

StevenWL

Post by StevenWL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:03 am

That is great news for me.... thanks very much PG! Very much looking forward to seeing WL9.

PG wrote:
are you able to confirm that it will open Montages of previous versions (WL6, WL7, WL8.5)
Yes I can confirm. There is even better WaveLab 6 montage support (some VST plugins could not be imported in WaveLab 7/8).
many of us work with these earlier versions to retain functionalities and workflows which are absent or more difficult in the latest version
Somehow, WaveLab 9 is a "modernized and enhanced fusion between some WaveLab 6 and 7/8 concepts"...

pwhodges

Post by pwhodges » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 pm

So, I guess no multi-channel developments again. With the amount of surround work that goes on nowadays, there's a real danger of falling out of step with the marketplace, I fear.

The rest looks very pretty, though. I'll be trying it out later today.

RayThomas

Post by RayThomas » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:19 am

PG wrote:
This is very welcome news...thank you PG !

Can you give any indication whether there will be any Steinberg-produced WL9 tutorial videos produced, to introduce users to the new features and to suggest some possible ways of integrating these into our workflow processes ? I know there is no single 'standardized' way of using Wavelab, but there is still room for a moving picture to tell more than 1000 words in a .PDF manual !

I believe that a series of such videos could offset many of the questions fielded here...and I know that Steinberg has produced some of these previously....but there can never be too many instructional videos !

If there was a third party video author similar to, for example, Kenny Gioia with his REAPER tutorials, it would be a big help....eg: http://www.kennymania.com/free-videos/ It's arguable that many Wavelab users are 'beyond' the requirement for tutorials such as these, but I would certainly find them helpful....at least for integrating WL9's new functions ?

RayThomas

Post by RayThomas » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:14 am

Aha...I see Steinberg have already created some introductory videos for the key enhancements to WL9... well done guys...more, more !! Here they are: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/ ... version-9/

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”