When is WL 9 coming out?

All topics on WaveLab 8 and WaveLab Elements 8
Post Reply
Oliver.Lucas
Senior Member
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:03 pm

Thomas W. Bethel wrote:It is officially spring
...
Well, theoretically true but we are still waiting for winter in Germany.
I don't know where in France PG lives, but it's probably the same there.
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

PG
Moderator
Posts: 6968
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:15 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by PG » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Well, as you can see there, there are many definitions of the spring's start...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(season)

Well, anyway, I start to hear birds outside...
Philippe

zoundman
Junior Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by zoundman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:39 pm

PG wrote: Well, anyway, I start to hear birds outside...
:D

My bet's on http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/march-equinox.html

User avatar
cmaffia
Member
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm
Location: Queens, New York
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by cmaffia » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:43 pm

i'm still on 8.0. What does 8.5 or a future 9.0 offer me?
2 Cascaded Tascam DM3200's - IF-FW/DMMKII - IF-AN/DM - Tascam DA-3000 Mastering Recorder - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Cubase 9.0.30 - Sweetwater Creation Station 400 - i7-3770, 3.4GHz Quad Core - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 & 10 Home - UAD-2 Solo - UAD-2 Duo - Steinberg CC121 - 2 x Frontier Tranzport - Wavelab 9 32/64-Bit

Bandcamp: The Sweats
Check out The Bastudio

User avatar
DodgingRain
Junior Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by DodgingRain » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:08 pm

If they said spring you could be waiting until mid june, lol.
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com

User avatar
Arjan P
Senior Member
Posts: 2541
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:28 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Arjan P » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Based on nature here, spring started around Christmas last year...
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 10.0 | Cubase 10.0.50 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

Oliver.Lucas
Senior Member
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:33 am

Wait? Do we get different release dates in the southern hemisphere?
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

Luis Dongo
Moderator
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:19 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Luis Dongo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Vocalpoint » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,

There ya go. Now we know.

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

User avatar
toader
Member
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:37 am
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by toader » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:08 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
Yay! :-) I'm psyched!
Computer 1: Cubase 10.0.15, RME HDSPe AES (x2), RME HDSPe AIO (x1), Nvidia NVS 510 video card, Dell T7500 workstation with Intel Xeon X5690 (6 cores with hyperthreading) 3.47gHz, 24GB RAM, UAD-2 Quad, Windows 10 64-bit
Computer 2: Wavelab 9.5.40, RME HDSPe AIO, AMD Radeon RX 480 video, Dell XPS 8720 with Intel I7-7700 CPU (4 cores with hyperthreading) 3.6gHz, 24GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit

Todd Loomis @ https://noiseradiationstudios.com

Svenne
Member
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Svenne » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
No WaveLab Artist :(
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

itsmecarl
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by itsmecarl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:27 pm

itsmecarl wrote:please please please add this feature request,

batch merge , allow me to select various files to merge into a single file.

we have batch split now i need batch merge
cant wait until the 15th, just quoting my feature request :)

Oliver.Lucas
Senior Member
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Oliver.Lucas » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Features?
Main machine: Fireface UFX+ 64GB, 2TB Hecacore macmini 10.14.x, egpu
Avid ProTools Ulitimate and S3. A gazillion plugings

Vocalpoint
Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Vocalpoint » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 pm

Svenne wrote:No WaveLab Artist :(
I would rather see PG channel his energies into making sure the needs of the two existing versions are satisfied rather than further diluting his available cycles worrying about a third.

If you find Elements too basic - might be time to evaluate just how serious you want to be with WL (or not) and buy the Pro version. (or not)

VP
Bruce McDonald
Vocalpoint Studios
Calgary, AB Canada

woofhead
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by woofhead » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Luis,

Now that we know a firm release date is there a clear grace period date? I recently bought wavelab and have been waiting to register it, using the 30 day demo but it will run out in a couple of days.Thanks for any info,

Mike

Svenne
Member
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Svenne » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 am

Vocalpoint wrote:
Svenne wrote:No WaveLab Artist :(
I would rather see PG channel his energies into making sure the needs of the two existing versions are satisfied rather than further diluting his available cycles worrying about a third.

If you find Elements too basic - might be time to evaluate just how serious you want to be with WL (or not) and buy the Pro version. (or not)

VP
Thats exactly what I've done, and the conclution is that Elements is too limited, while the Pro version contains lots of features that aren't needed. I don't do audio restoration or audio forensic work. What is needed is a version that cater for those of us who need the full facilities for authoring CD's, but not all the other unnecessary (restoration and forensic) bells and whistles. i.e. WaveLab Artist.

Having three versions of Cubase has only benefitted it's ability to grab marketshares. I wouldn't be surprised if Cubase Artist is the best selling version. The same would hold true for WaveLab. A WaveLab Artist version would only serve to increase WaveLab's marketshare.

WaveLab Elements, and an Artist version, are only cut-down versions of WaveLab Pro (which is where PG expends most of his energy). I am convinced that PG (and his team) are more than capable of handling an Artist level version, with little to no worries!

By the way, I'm sure that it is not inline with Steinberg's buisness model to ask their customers to not purchase their products.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

TimoWildenhain
Moderator
Posts: 971
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by TimoWildenhain » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:39 am

Svenne wrote:
Vocalpoint wrote:
Svenne wrote:No WaveLab Artist :(
I would rather see PG channel his energies into making sure the needs of the two existing versions are satisfied rather than further diluting his available cycles worrying about a third.

If you find Elements too basic - might be time to evaluate just how serious you want to be with WL (or not) and buy the Pro version. (or not)

VP
Thats exactly what I've done, and the conclution is that Elements is too limited, while the Pro version contains lots of features that aren't needed. I don't do audio restoration or audio forensic work. What is needed is a version that cater for those of us who need the full facilities for authoring CD's, but not all the other unnecessary (restoration and forensic) bells and whistles. i.e. WaveLab Artist.

Having three versions of Cubase has only benefitted it's ability to grab marketshares. I wouldn't be surprised if Cubase Artist is the best selling version. The same would hold true for WaveLab. A WaveLab Artist version would only serve to increase WaveLab's marketshare.

WaveLab Elements, and an Artist version, are only cut-down versions of WaveLab Pro (which is where PG expends most of his energy). I am convinced that PG (and his team) are more than capable of handling an Artist level version, with little to no worries!

By the way, I'm sure that it is not inline with Steinberg's buisness model to ask their customers to not purchase their products.
Hello,

thanks for your suggestions. As you might know, we had this version already, called WaveLab Studio 6. It was available until end of 2010. This version had a comparable price point with Cubase Artist - and was never accepted in a way WaveLab Pro or WaveLab Elements has been. In more than 4 years of WaveLab Studio product lifecycle we haven't seen much interest in this version. The logical consequence was to remove this version from the product line up.

Thanks,
Timo
Timo Wildenhain - Head of Business Unit
Professional Audio Unit
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and MySpace!

Luis Dongo
Moderator
Posts: 913
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:19 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Luis Dongo » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:07 am

woofhead wrote:Hi Luis,

Now that we know a firm release date is there a clear grace period date? I recently bought wavelab and have been waiting to register it, using the 30 day demo but it will run out in a couple of days.Thanks for any info,

Mike
Hi woofhead,

you are safe to activate your version of WaveLab now. After WaveLab 9 has been released, just run the maintenance tasks on your eLCC and your license will update to 9 automatically.

All the best
Luis Dongo
Marketing Manager - Pro Audio

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud.

Svenne
Member
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Svenne » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 am

TimoWildenhain wrote:Hello,

thanks for your suggestions. As you might know, we had this version already, called WaveLab Studio 6. It was available until end of 2010. This version had a comparable price point with Cubase Artist - and was never accepted in a way WaveLab Pro or WaveLab Elements has been. In more than 4 years of WaveLab Studio product lifecycle we haven't seen much interest in this version. The logical consequence was to remove this version from the product line up.

Thanks,
Timo
Thanks Timo for your input. It's most welcome to see someone who really knows what he's talking about taking the time to respond on this forum.

I have a couple of comments to your response. You point at WaveLab Studio 6 ending in 2010. That's more than 5 years ago. That's a long time in the world of software. A lot has happened since then! For one thing, in 2010 WaveLab was Windows only. Since then it has expanded to the Mac. Being a Mac user, WaveLab was of no interest what so ever for me back in 2010. Thus I know nothing about WaveLab Studio 6, so I can only speculate.

What was the feature set of WaveLab Studio 6. There are three ways of developing a cut-down version:
1) Randomly removing a bunch of features, resulting in an unusable product.
2) Removing parts of all features, which is how WaveLab Elements is, more or less, constructed.
3) Determining a target audience, and see what features are required. Which is what I suggest.

Which of these three did WaveLab Studio 6 belong to? Perhaps the feature set was ill conceived for the target audience. Perhaps it wasn't correctly marketed? As I've said, I can only speculate. I suggest a version aimed at the millions upon millions of studios that are not hobbyists, big time mastering houses or forensic audio laboratories, but have the need to author professionally constructed CD masters for duplication. I have provided some suggestions to a feature set in a previous post:
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=82285&start=100#p517559

As things stand, Steinberg only caters the Mastering Houses, Universities and small time Hobbyists. You are ignoring a huge market. All those midlevel studios (millions of them) who need the ability to provide CD masters for their customers. The home-to-midlevel studio market has changed dramatically in the last five years. I'd say, it time for Steinberg to take a new look at the WaveLab line-up. I know some things about running a business and thing is for sure; ignoring a market segment consisting of millions of potential customers has never, and will never be, good business practices.

There is one more thing that needs mentioning. Ever since WaveLab 7, Steinberg has claimed that WL/WLE can use the plug-ins from Cubase.
WLE8 manual, page 218 wrote:If you have Cubase installed on your computer, you can use the effects that are included with Cubase in WaveLab Elements. See the Cubase documentation for details.
This is not true, and the Cubase manual has nothing (that I've managed to find) to say about the subject.

I'm convinced that Steinberg isn't giving away all those plug-ins for free. Their price is included in the price of Cubase/WaveLab. Therefore, I am not only being asked to pay for lots of unneeded features in order to obtain a usable CD authoring software. I am also expected to pay for the same products (plug-ins) twice. Do you really consider this an acceptable business practice?

If Steinberg is not interested in the potential revenue from the millions of midlevel studios, by releasing an Artist version of WaveLab, I have a couple of other suggestions.

1) Develop an "extension version" of WLP for Cubase (Pro), so that the WL features can be added to Cubase. The same way as the "missing" Cubase Pro features can be added to Nuendo.

2) Release a (heavily) discounted edition of WaveLab Pro for registered Cubase Pro users. After all, we have already paid for a large portion of WLP once (the vast majority of the plug-ins). Shouldn't that be enough? If not, how many times do you think it's acceptable to ask your customers to pay for the same software?

Please don't take this as criticisms, but as positive suggestions that will benefit Steinberg as well as your customers/users.

Best regards.
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

woofhead
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by woofhead » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response Luis! Have a good day

Mike

Luis Dongo wrote:
woofhead wrote:Hi Luis,

Now that we know a firm release date is there a clear grace period date? I recently bought wavelab and have been waiting to register it, using the 30 day demo but it will run out in a couple of days.Thanks for any info,

Mike
Hi woofhead,

you are safe to activate your version of WaveLab now. After WaveLab 9 has been released, just run the maintenance tasks on your eLCC and your license will update to 9 automatically.

All the best

User avatar
S4410
Junior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:06 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by S4410 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
Why not some more info about this new release ( new features etc.) ?
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 2| iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

Macbook 2.4 | Mac OS X 10.7.5 | Cubase Elements 8

PG
Moderator
Posts: 6968
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:15 pm
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by PG » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Why not some more info about this new release ( new features etc.) ?
Everything (info, availability) will be ready on the 15th, not before.
Philippe

Lasso
Member
Posts: 465
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by Lasso » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Luis Dongo wrote:Hi guys,

WaveLab Pro and Elements 9 will be released on March 15.

All the best,
Can't wait - mouse / gpu thingybug is driving me nuts as well as the auto split bug.

And PG promised that was fixed right? ;)
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

mrtomcat
Junior Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:55 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by mrtomcat » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 am

Perfect Release date.... March 15, my birthday. I shall treat myself to a nice WaveLab 9 upgrade :)

User avatar
DodgingRain
Junior Member
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:41 am
Contact:

Re: When is WL 9 coming out?

Post by DodgingRain » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:34 am

ect Release date.... March 15, my birthday. I shall treat myself to a nice WaveLab 9 upgrade
Nope, they released it that day for my birthday, go back to page 5, you can see that I told them to release it on that day. Its my birthday not yours. :lol: :lol:
Mixing, Mastering, Remixing Services
Two Cat Audio Labs, llc
https://www.twocataudiolabs.com

Post Reply

Return to “WaveLab 8 | WaveLab Elements 8”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests