Padshop, no uploading samples??

All topics on Padshop and Padshop Pro
Konrath

Re: Padshop, no uploading samples??

Post by Konrath »

Joan Cubaez wrote:
Wolf-Ray wrote: WTF kind of a granular synthesizer is this? Makes it no better than Native Instruments Skanner which was released for free back in December.
Dude, you oughta be fair! Native Instruments' Skanner allows you to use your own samples! :twisted:
That is not the complete truth.

I have both Skanner and Padshop. If you get Skanner there are only 10 samples you can work with beside you are owner of Reaktor (I am). If you use Skanner free without having or buying Reaktor you are only dependent on these ten samples and you cannot change it. Padshop has hundreds of samples.

So Skanner is something like a bait for buying Reaktor or Komplete from NI.

And due Skanner is something like a granular synth it works in a rather different way than padshop and you can hardly compare these beasts and their sounds.

But I would like to load samples too. But that is simply a feature request.
"I don't understand why people are afraid of new ideas. I'm afraid of the old ones." - John Cage

Cubase 10.5.10 / Spectralayers 6.0.10 / Sound Forge Pro 14 / Cubase iC Pro / Win 10 1909 64bit / Tascam US20x20 (Panel 4.0) / Cakewalk 3UMG / Akai MPK88 / Doepfer R2M

Andros1983

Post by Andros1983 »

I hope that Steinberg listen to us and in Padshop v1.1 allow us to import user samples.
Its useless a granular synth without this option.
It's a pity..........Padshop could have been one of the best synth ever, but without user samples.........is simply another one that everyone will forget in a moth, like embrace, monologue, mystic....etc.etc.

Maybe..........are they planning to release sample packs?? and sell them?

:( :( :( :(

Konrath

Post by Konrath »

Sorry, but with honest respect.
When you say it is useless you never had your hands on it. It is extremely flexible and you have an endless palette of sounds and the weirdest parameters to play with. And as someone stated before the theory on granular synthesis does not depend on samples. It depends on an input stream and its restructuring from small snippets. A typical place for granular synthesis is time and pitch shifting. And the modulation and (re)structuring of grains can also be used on live input.

As I said: It would be nice to have the possibility to load samples. But this is not what granular synthesis is about. As for loading samples: I would like more to have a live input for padshop to freak out with my guitar and voice..
"I don't understand why people are afraid of new ideas. I'm afraid of the old ones." - John Cage

Cubase 10.5.10 / Spectralayers 6.0.10 / Sound Forge Pro 14 / Cubase iC Pro / Win 10 1909 64bit / Tascam US20x20 (Panel 4.0) / Cakewalk 3UMG / Akai MPK88 / Doepfer R2M

Wolf-Ray

Post by Wolf-Ray »

Konrath wrote:And the modulation and (re)structuring of grains can also be used on live input.

As I said: It would be nice to have the possibility to load samples. But this is not what granular synthesis is about. As for loading samples: I would like more to have a live input for padshop to freak out with my guitar and voice..
Careful with how you word that because Padshop does not do live processing like a granular insert effect. You know there are outboard grainshifters available to toy with, I think the KAOSS Pad line has one.

You're right about Padshop having a vast array, perhaps infinite palette of sounds. But you can say the same thing about Skanner with only 10 samples, or any Granular synth engine with just a single sample. Its the ability to morph your own samples thats really intriguing though. Take your voice and upload it into Padshop, or your own guitar riff and granularize it into a pad that sits behind the original riff in the mix. Stuff like that is the real joy of creation; true customization. Padshop is capable sure... but without user customization, is ultimately a passing toy as Andros1983 pointed out.

People on other forums are saying the same thing. One person said something that really resonated with me. They made the point that Steiny/Yammy should've charged twice as much and given us the ability to upload samples like every other Granular synth. Maybe they're going to offer sample packs but sorry, this synth just doesn't capture my interest without true programmability. Which is just a shame because it is a really decent granular engine. So lets say they charge $30 dollars per set like most of the current ones available. A user would have to purchase two sets to make it worth Steinberg's while to lock out the ability for user samples. Do you really see yourself purchasing two more sets for Padshop's already extensive library of over 500 samples (~506)? Or even a single $50 dollar set? I think it would have been financially smarter for them to have simply included the ability to load your own samples while doubling the price.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for a fix. In all honesty I don't see it happening however because they would've just released it full force from the damn get go. My prediction is they're going to milk it with the VST Sound Set route.

Konrath

Post by Konrath »

Wolf-Ray wrote: Careful with how you word that, because Padshop does not do live processing like a granular insert effect. You know there are outboard grainshifters available to toy with, I think the KAOSS Pad line has one.
I know that. I only wanted to say, that I would like something like this. But thinking about it I conclude, that this would have vast influence on latency of this VST(i). Because the synth has to recalculate the grain continuously. Probably you can get used to it like with reverse delay or in combination with delay. Guitar Rig has such a thing. And Uhbik has a nice granular effect "Uhbik-G".
With samples you could always use a look ahead algorythm. So samples would be OK. But I knew that padshop has not the possibility to load samples. So I had zero concerns.
For now I have enough to try with padshop. I just scratched the surface and have lot of fun.

HalfPastEternity

Post by HalfPastEternity »

It would be nice to have an official answer on this, do you plan to implement a sample loading function?

I think that is a VERY important feature of a granular synth, I was really looking forward to doing some manipulation and sound design on my own tracks, but I can't do that. It is a basic feature found on virtually any granular synth out there. It's like selling a sampler without a sampling function, making it a record player with speed controls.
Long list of gear. Woohooo, look how much stuff I've got!

panox80

Post by panox80 »

monolake granulator is better than this...and it is free...

i can't use my percussion sound in padshop...WTF=?= :mrgreen:

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

panox80 wrote:monolake granulator is better than this...and it is free...

i can't use my percussion sound in padshop...WTF=?= :mrgreen:
Free...

Only for people that use Ambleton Live 8.2.2 AND a $250 upgrade.

"Free" indeed....

So, based upon the fact that Padshop is multi-DAW capable and cheaper:
Padshop is better than Monolake Granulator!!!

panox80

Post by panox80 »

yes freee for me who have live..
padshop is not free for who have CUMbase 6...this is the same yhing :)

however,creativy is first??? where...for now i must use your sound...think to that

thank you

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

panox80 wrote:yes freee for me who have live..

however,creativy is first??? where...for now i must use your sound...think to that

thank you
So padshop is as free to Cubase 6.5 users, as monolake is to Ableton Live 8.something something users?
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

Elektrobolt wrote:

thank you
So padshop is as free to Cubase 6.5 users, as monolake is to Ableton Live 8.something something users?
Not exactly. You need to have a specific add-on to Ableton to use it. $250 new, $99 upgrade. If you've got it, sure. If you don't...

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt »

Shinta215 wrote:
Elektrobolt wrote:

thank you
Not exactly. You need to have a specific add-on to Ableton to use it. $250 new, $99 upgrade. If you've got it, sure. If you don't...
It was actually a sarcastic question (obviously not towards you). ;)
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

Elektrobolt wrote:It was actually a sarcastic question (obviously not towards you). ;)
:lol:

Joan Cubaez

Post by Joan Cubaez »

Wolf-Ray wrote:Update this, let it take samples. Camel Audio's Alchemy lets you do real granular synthesis with your own samples. Take a note from them.

So thanks but no thanks, what a waste of $50 bucks.
I read in your signature that you own Komplete 8. It'd be worthwhile to work yourself a bit more into the possibilities KONTAKT has to offer.

E.g. load a vocal sample, click the wrench (edit mode) and choose the 'tone machine' mode.
This particular mode splits a given sample into microsamples. Isn't that what granular synthesis is about?

Activate 'Legato', change the speed & formant parameters, assign an oscillator to the tune button, adjust its rate as you wish & play with the resulting sounds on your keyboard....
Wolf-Ray wrote:Update the synth Steiny, it could be a beast.
You got the beast onboard (KONTAKT + the more complex ABSYNTH that does granular synthesis as well), why not let it out?
Win 7 64 bit ++ Core i5 2500k ++ Cubase 6 ++ UAD-2 ++

Burger Bar.......this is my 12th century church where I come for holy substance.......

Wolf-Ray

Post by Wolf-Ray »

Joan Cubaez wrote: You got the beast onboard (KONTAKT + the more complex ABSYNTH that does granular synthesis as well), why not let it out?
Excellent advice, Joan. Unfortunately what I have are the light, free, poor-man 'player' versions of Kontakt, Reaktor, etc. If I enable it, I can run the full versions of the players for 30 minutes before they lock. I could get ghetto with it and do 30 minute sound design sessions and export the results at the end, but I'd rather take my time and experiment freely while working.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

neilhunter

Post by neilhunter »

Try Padshop Pro.......
i7-3770 on Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Kingston HyperX 16Gb DDR3-2133, with Samsung 850EVO 250Gb SSD. Windows 10 Pro. Cubase 9.5 Pro, HALion 6, Cakewalk Z3ta+ 2.2, Rapture Pro & Pentagon v1.4, Padshop Pro. Behringer MX602 & Truth B2031A Monitors.

Wolf-Ray

Post by Wolf-Ray »

Yeah I got as soon as it came out of course! It's the best thing ever. I would've been willing to pay a lot more than the asking price too.

Return to “Padshop and Padshop Pro”