Linux Support Steinberg UR22

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
NorthWood MediaWorks

Re: Linux Support Steinberg UR22

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:07 pm

Hmmmm.. wonder if this works for a UR44?

Przemek K.

Post by Przemek K. » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:55 pm

Would love to know this too if the UR 44 works in Linux. Did somebody try it out yet?

sound_spirit

Post by sound_spirit » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:09 pm

This is great news KgwgK, thanks heaps for this! 8-)
sound_spirit

KgwgK

Post by KgwgK » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Przemek K. wrote:Would love to know this too if the UR 44 works in Linux. Did somebody try it out yet?
NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:Hmmmm.. wonder if this works for a UR44?
Did you guys get a chance to try it out?

Edit:

I was browsing the ALSA mailing list (see link below), and it looks like the UR44 has a "CC" (Class Compliant) button in the back that you can press, and it shows up as a multi-port IO device, and doesn't need the UR22 quirk patch..
Can anyone give this a try before I go out and buy a UR44 to test with ?

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/piperma ... 94403.html
http://www.musictech.net/2014/04/steinberg-ur44-review/

KgwgK

Post by KgwgK » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Ok, I went out to Guitar Center and bought a UR44.... $$$ :? :cry:
Audio output works out of the box on Lubuntu with the "CC" button pressed in the back of the unit.

Haven't tested any mixing, recording, etc, yet, but will update the thread later.
Enjoy !

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:29 pm

KgwgK wrote:Ok, I went out to Guitar Center and bought a UR44.... $$$ :? :cry:
Audio output works out of the box on Lubuntu with the "CC" button pressed in the back of the unit.

Haven't tested any mixing, recording, etc, yet, but will update the thread later.
Enjoy !
Thanks for the update. I have not had a chance to get back into the studio for a while now. Sustained an injury to my right hand which has impeded getting other things done... Interesting news about the CC button on the 44, that is normally intended for iPad use, looking forward to having a go. Also your results will be good to know. 8-)
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

gobtron

Post by gobtron » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:23 am

So, did anybody tried the UR22 with the newest release of Debian or Mint? I am planning to replace Ubuntu soon with Debian or Mint. I would doubt for Debian, since it is supposed to be very stable but packages don't get updated so quickly.

It is nice to know that the UR22 is now recognised out of the box on some distros!

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:56 am

gobtron wrote:So, did anybody tried the UR22 with the newest release of Debian or Mint? I am planning to replace Ubuntu soon with Debian or Mint. I would doubt for Debian, since it is supposed to be very stable but packages don't get updated so quickly.

It is nice to know that the UR22 is now recognised out of the box on some distros!
I am stuck until January, no time. :evil:

gobtron

Post by gobtron » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 am

I tried with Debian 8 (Jessie) and it works out of the box. No configuration or anything to do.

Yay!

But I have kernel version 4.4. I had a weird issue with my GPU and the only way to make it work was to upgrade to kernel 4.4. Debian 8 ships with linux kernel 3.16 and I didn't even think to try the UR22 before upgrading.

I didn't try to record anything though, but UR22 inputs and ouputs are listed in the Sound configuration panel of Cinnamon. I just played a song on Totem.

kadavr

Post by kadavr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi everyone!

Can I do something with my Steinberg ur28m on Ubuntu?(
System dosn't "see" audio outputs, at that audio inputs are identified(i don't check it).
I just need to listen audio.

Here is screenshot from alsamixer.
It's russian language - but i think you undestand it.
Attachments
alsa.png
(30.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet

bjboydmusic

Post by bjboydmusic » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:06 am

HI. I have been using my UR22 (Mk 2) successfully with Ardour running in Linux Mint 17.3. No such luck running it with Ardour in Elementary (as yet). Ardour recognised the interface straight away and I set the UR22 as my input and output. Having recorded guitars a few nights ago I then downloaded the calf effects as my plug-ins and they work a treat as well.
I have not downloaded any drivers and am not running anything through WINE. The UR22 just works

Basho

Post by Basho » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:55 am

I'm using Arch Linux, and even though the system is immediately recognizing the UR22, I'll get this when I choose the Steinberg aus my soundcard in alsamixer

[Clock Source 41 Validity]

Can someone please help me or give me a hint? Are you using ALSA, Pulseaudio or Jack? Did you have to do anything to set it up?

SimSim

Post by SimSim » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 am

Hi

I can confirm that the Steinberg UR22 MKII works well on Linux (Plug and Play).

Ubuntu 18.04 and Audacity. Just select the Steinberg as Input.

Hope this helps.

mambalamba

Post by mambalamba » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

To anyone coming from search engines, I hope this helps out:

I have a UR28M interface and I'm running Debian 9. The USB interface is recognized and sound was coming out but there was reverb on top of everything and I couldn't seem to change the volume of any of the channels without it resetting.

I managed to fix this by turning on Class Compliant mode, described in the manual here: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads ... G6.1032537
Turn on the device while holding down OUTPUT button C, and keep pressing the OUTPUT C button until an INPUT meter/OUTPUT meter flashes.The UR28M enters Class Compliant mode for Apple iPad connectivity. While in the Class Compliant mode, the power button flashes several times by pressing the power button. To turn off the Class Compliant mode, turn on the power while holding down OUTPUT button C again.
After doing that the reverb was gone and I could listen to audio normally.
Good luck!

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”