UR44 problem with powered USB Hub

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
ReeceBowden95

UR44 problem with powered USB Hub

Post by ReeceBowden95 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:37 am

Hi.

I have a problem with my UR44's power. I'm using a 2017 MacBook Pro which only has two USB C ports for device connection and so, quite obviously, this automatically requires the implementation of some kind of USB hub in order to use the UR44 as it only has the USB 2.0 connection. This in itself, I've discovered a little too late, is troubling because Steinberg make a point of saying in their product manuals not to plug the UR range of interfaces into USB hubs. I'm assuming this advice is just being ignored by anyone with a laptop that is only equipped with USB C.

My problem, more specifically, is that I went and bought a Belkin USB 3.0 4-Port Hub, which is powered by it's own wall wart. Being aware that USB 3.0 is backwards compatible I figured it would be fine to use with the 2.0 connection on the UR44 but when I try to use it (with the UR44 powered with its own included power supply) the power cuts out approximately every 10-15 seconds. After a little research I think I've discovered that this is because a 2.0 device can only handle 500 mA of power in comparison to the 900 mA of USB 3.0. Am I getting that right?

What confuses me is that I thought that since the UR44 was already powered with its 12V adapter, this shouldn't have been a problem. What's more troubling is that I also bought this Belkin hub in order to connect some other hardware, specifically a synth and a midi controller, and I've discovered they're both equipped with 2.0 connection. Will I have the same problem with them?

Obviously I'm not very clued in with USB, so what am I missing? What is the exact nature of my problem and what are my potential solutions?

Thanks.

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”