UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

This section is about Steinberg's USB audio interfaces UR824, UR28M, UR44, UR242, UR22 and UR12
ezolhof

Re: UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

Post by ezolhof » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey, I'm new here and I think I'm experiencing audio drop outs.

I have a Motu Ultralike MK4 that I use as my main audio interface. I also have a Ur22 and a Ur12.

I'm trying to record the audio from my DAW while streaming using OBS - I know Asio4All, Voicemeter, Voxengo, etc but I'm trying to record it without having to use any of those.

So, in the MK4 I have my main output channels that connect to my NS-10M speakers and I also have 8 analog outputs. Outputs 1 and 2 I have connected to Inputs 1 and 2 in the Ur22.

The computer audio signal is coming out of the analog outputs perfectly. I tested connecting them to a small amplifier input and it worked fine. Also, the Ur22 is receiving the audio with no issues as I can hear it by using headphones. The issue happens when sending the audio back from the Ur22 to the computer. Both in my computer audio settings and in OBS (recording the Ur22 line input) I keep getting a chopped audio. Here's how it sounds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pgtzw23kh7kh ... y.mp4?dl=0

Things I made sure are working and/or tried:

- Everything is set to 48khz;
- Line cables are working;
- USB cable is working;
- USB input is working;
- Installed both recent Steinberg USB drivers (currently using the beta one from 2 days ago);
- The same issue happens on both Ur22 and Ur12;
- Tried a few combinations of buffer size / base period / ISO extra buffer;
- Checking the "Skip Initial Samples" box cuts off any audio coming in;

Please... Anyone has any idea why is it not working?

flankp

Post by flankp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:51 pm

Same problem here too with the new beta. I've attached screenshots of the 'error info'.

Please let me know if there is something I can try to do.

--

Update: After the message from kiberman that there was a new display driver for the Nvidia 10 series, I upgraded (from 388.31 to 388.43) and this does appear to have reduced the frequency of the problem for me. The problem was happening like every 20-30 seconds when using a web browser (edge), but now it's happening less than once every few minutes as shown in the updated screenshot (error_20171202_388.43)
Attachments
error_20171202_388.43.png
(10.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
i7-6850k, Asus X99 AII, 32GB DDR4-2400, Nvidia Founders Edition 1070 (2460x1440 144Hz GSync), Steinberg UR22MKII interface, 500gb m.2 Samsung 960 & 1tb WD Gold 7200 RPM, Windows 10 Pro

Jaytie

Post by Jaytie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:16 pm

I've also tested the new beta driver 1.10.0.b2. Unfortunately I'm also still having dropouts when watching Videos via VLC or (not as often) when streaming videos via Google Chrome.
What I found out: when the UR22mkII is connected, I even have dropouts when using my onboard Realtek Soundcard. When the dropout occurs with the Realtek Chip the white LED at the UR22 is also flickering like it does, when a dropout occurs on the Steinberg itself. The dropouts on the Realtekchip are a little bit shorter though.

edit: i7 - 5820K, EVGA X99 Micro 2, Nvidida GTX 980Ti, Windows 8.1

shahzeeq

Post by shahzeeq » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Hey guys,

I have also recently purchased the UR12 and I'm from Malaysia actually with very limited distributors or authorised dealers. I wanted to swap for a new unit but the store owner didnt actually respond too well, since I already registered the product online.

I've been getting many dropouts when plugging in my headphone into the interface. I read quite alot of comments online saying that.

1. It could be a wifi adapter issue, so i tried disabling wifi and it sort of worked. Did not have any dropouts at all. But this isnt really an ideal solution for me as I need the wifi lol.
2. I tried unplugging the headset and connecting it directly to the monitor for my usual music listening/gaming/movies etc and only using the UR12's Headphone output when recording vocals.
3. Another solution that may also work is to get a separate headphone dac/amplifier which i would think may be the best idea, but I'm not too sure if this would affect the direct replication of audio quality from the UR12 when doing voice over.

Im using a Rode NT1A and the UR12. So far the UR12 does work well but the dropout issues are a real turnoff and somehow I should have went for the focusrite line ups instead. But I guess since I already have the UR12, I might as well try to get a solution.

I've also tried downloading the beta software but its pretty much pointless. Im using an Asrock X99 taichi motherboard + i7 6850k + 32GB ram + 1080ti, so I would think that the specs aren't really an issue in terms of performance or compatibility. I've even disabled c-state etc etc but that really isnt a solution. I hope this helps and I'll continue to report if Im facing issues again after solution 2 and 3.

Astappalatta

Post by Astappalatta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:11 pm

Edit: this post was complaining about a previous post not being published.
It has indeed being published so apologize Steinberg for not waiting enough before complaining.
Last edited by Astappalatta on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ntsarb

Post by ntsarb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 am

I've also tested the new beta driver 1.10.0.b2. Dropouts are still present, no difference at all from previous versions of the driver.

UPDATE 06/12/2017: <In some cases, with the beta driver, the UR22mkII LED doesn't go off when a dropout occurs. In Cubase, the LED still blinks on audio dropouts.>

In the meantime, NVIDIA has escalated a relevant ticket to level 2 support.

Does UR824 also suffer from dropouts, on X99 platform and NVIDIA/AMD GPU?

Kind regards
Last edited by ntsarb on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Midi/Audio Hardware: AKAI MPK261, UR22 mkII, CC-121, Roland FP80, Yamaha HS-7, Sennheiser HD380 Pro.
Music Software: Cubase Pro 9.5, Wavelab Elements 9.5, Halion 6, Halion Symphonic Orchestra, Groove Agent 4, The Grand 3 and various libraries/plugins.
Computer Hardware: ASRock X99 WS, i7 6850K, 64GB DDR4 RAM, Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 4x GTX 1080 Ti (for high performance computing applications), IBM M1015 + 4x WD Red HDDs in RAID 10 (using ReFS).
Computer Software: Win 10 Pro for Workstations, 64bit ver. 1709.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 am

For those who haven't tested the beta 2 driver yet, please make sure to use different settings in the Advanced tab of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver panel. Especially the "Base Period" should be modified and the "Skip Initial Samples" should also be tested. If everything is left at the defaults, the beta 2 driver behaves almost like the first beta.

@ Astappalatta
Have you tried older nVidia drivers or the standard one coming with Windows - without the additional software? This has been discussed here as well.
Also, have you tried using an active USB hub to connect the UR to?
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

Jaytie

Post by Jaytie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am

Ed Doll wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 am
For those who haven't tested the beta 2 driver yet, please make sure to use different settings in the Advanced tab of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver panel. Especially the "Base Period" should be modified and the "Skip Initial Samples" should also be tested.
Thanks for your reply. So today I started testing with "Skip Initial Samples". With this activated, I was able to watch a 60min video with VLC Player without any dropout! Unfortunately there was not enough time for longer periods of testing today. But this is a huge success since the dropouts normally occur every 2-3 minutes in VLC when "skip initial samples" is deactivated.

Would be great to hear from you guys if it helps on your systems too. (All other settings untouched)

I don't know if this solves the problem but it's much better now.
(Driver is still Beta2 of course)
Last edited by Jaytie on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaslan

Post by jaslan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 am

OK. I installed the beta USB driver. I haven't had that much trouble with the 1.9.10 or 1.9.11 drivers to be honest. I had an occasional dropout in the browser or Windows Media player. Maybe a couple times a day or less during high demand stuff. But to be honest, that is nothing new. I have always had occasional freeze ups of videos in the browser or WMP in the past with at least two other audio interfaces.

My question though is...
Can anyone explain a little bit about the Advanced Options in the beta driver? What exactly do they do? It would be extremely helpful to understand if and when adjusting them might be needed or helpful.
It appears that the Base Period adds input latency and the ISO Extra Buffer adds output latency but is the ASIO buffer only for ASIO applications and the Advanced Options add latency to the Windows applications audio streams? What does the Skip Initial Samples do?

Thanks.
Cubase Pro 9.0.30. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 3.6.5. and Jamstix 4.0. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Astappalatta

Post by Astappalatta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am

Ed Doll wrote:
@ Astappalatta
Have you tried older nVidia drivers or the standard one coming with Windows - without the additional software? This has been discussed here as well.
Yes, I did. Dropouts have been present from day one, with all standard drivers. There was also a crackling sound issue that I managed to get rid of, but this dropouts still remain. I went back to older drivers, but still dropouts.
I tried with a USB 3.0 hub, with USB 2.0 ports on motherboard, by disconnecting all other USB devices, and still dropouts.
I even used the option that the mkII has to use USB for data only, and the power coming from a 5V USB adapter (my wife cellphone charger) plugged in the wall: still dropouts.
I read elsewhere that AVG antivirus could be a culprit in audio dropouts. I'll test today and let you all know, but I doubt this will do a major change...

skeltoid

Post by skeltoid » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:45 pm

UR12 Still having random dropouts here. I tried every setting on the beta driver and it made no difference.
I7 6800k MSI X99 GTX1070 Windows 10 64

The UR12 worked on my old machine which was an AMD FX6300 GTX 750ti Windows 10 64
I do not know which Nvidia drivers I was using on that machine.
We should have a poll of who has dropouts with which video card.
I'm leaning toward its the video card driver.

Transistor

Post by Transistor » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Ed Doll wrote:
For those who haven't tested the beta 2 driver yet, please make sure to use different settings in the Advanced tab of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver panel. Especially the "Base Period" should be modified and the "Skip Initial Samples" should also be tested. If everything is left at the defaults, the beta 2 driver behaves almost like the first beta.

@ Astappalatta
Initial tests with the b2 driver (on a brand new i7-7700HQ laptop) still show dropouts when playing mp3s/wavs from a connected USB3(-c) SSD. Adjusting BP and skip made no difference.

r,
j,
i7-5820K/16384/Win10
CPro9.5.0/WLPro9.1/Motu128/RME PCIe/Mytek 8x192 (+ Aurora 8) + [mobile rig] UR22/CAI9.0.3
Plugins. Hardware.

Jaytie

Post by Jaytie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Jaytie wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:02 am
So today I started testing with "Skip Initial Samples". With this activated, I was able to watch a 60min video with VLC Player without any dropout!
As I wrote yesterday night, I had a 60min session of videoplayback with VLC without any dropout - longer than anytime before. (with "Skip Initial Samples" enabled)
Unfortunately today the dropouts are back :( celebrated too early I guess...

humbugger

Post by humbugger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 pm

The list of suggestions in the first post is certainly helpful. Could be improved by adding this suggestion for Windows users:
  • Install LatencyMon (latest version as of this writing: 6.51, compatible with Windows 10) from http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
  • Start LatencyMon, click on the green play icon on the top left
  • Now start using your UR device as you normally would, and do this for at least 60 minutes
I'm pointing this out because in many places, including this forum, I've seen users writing along the lines of, "I uninstalled/closed all software/drivers I don't need, and got it working without drop-outs, but today the drop-outs came back", which is usually the point where they re-installed all the software or drivers they previoysly got rid off. Or variations of this, e.g. just letting the UR device do a single task for an hour and reporting success, then going back to running 10 more programs, as they normally would, and being puzzled that it doesn't work anymore. Or having highly-intrusive tasks, like virus scanners, running in the background, thinking, "But I absolutely need this virus scanner, and also it's from professional company who surely have tested that it doesn't cause any issues with any real-time audio software that's on the market, so I'm keeping it active and rather remove PCIe cards from my mainboard."

So again, run LatencyMon for at least 60 minutes, and don't do a synthetic test which wouldn't resemble how you intend to use the UR - do a real-world test with the software that you actually use.

If you have drop-outs, LatencyMon will show you exactly what happened at this point in time. And if the culprit is a driver or program not attached to Steinberg or Yamaha, it will show you exactly which one it was.

Astappalatta

Post by Astappalatta » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:08 am

Hi all, did a few more tests this evening, with some improvement.

- I uninstalled AVG, and now stick to Windows Defender.
- I played a little bit with USB ports, and discovered that shockingly enough, the best combination for my UR22mkII is a USB 3.0 port (data only) and a 5V adapter plugged into the wall. Instant benefit: on a 5 min video, I had 1 drop out over 5 plays vs. the 20 drop outs I had per single play before.
- Also, I used both DPC Latency Checker and LatencyMon free softwares.

DPC Latency Checker gives me this result:
DPC LC.jpg
(38.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
With 2.0 ports I had huge red columns going well over 16 ms. Now I get some random yellow ones, slightly more than 1 ms.

So I checked with LatencyMon and I discovered this:
LM.jpg
(177.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The drivers going >1 ms are dxgkrnl.sys (DirectX Graphics Kernel) and USBPORT.SYS (driver for USB ports 1.1 and 2.0).
Following this I tried to update all USB drivers on my PC, but they appear to be the newest available.
Not sure how I have to treat the DirectX one.

Bottom line: way better, audio interface is now usable, but I'm expecting some random drops here and there. Would like to go deeper and investigate more, if anyone has some knowledge to share.

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050?
Try setting these settings in the Nidia control panel
Set Power management mode to Prefer maximum performance
Set Threaded optomisation to Off
See if that helps

Hippo

Astappalatta

Post by Astappalatta » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 pm

Already set Power Man to max performance, now I set the Threaded optimisation to off, and let's see how it goes.
So far, so good, very little drop outs since yesterday. Thanks for the info!

Astappalatta

Post by Astappalatta » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 pm

WHAT? And now the Yamaha drivers totally disappeared from the system????
I fired up Ableton Live 9, and it's telling me that the drivers are not there. As a matter of fact, in Hardware & Sounds the Yamaha tool is not there anymore. Now I am really, really puzzled.

axemanchris

Post by axemanchris » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 am

Hippo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050?
See if that helps

Hippo
Thanks, Hippo! This worked for me. Things got a bit funky for me somewhere between updating my graphics drivers and updating to Pro 9.5.

In fact, I opened my browser and am typing this while playing a project and still not getting dropouts.

:-)

Chris
Cubase Pro 9.5
Steinberg MR816X
Steinberg The Grand 3 VSTi
SSL X-Logic Alpha Channel
Universal Audio UA-710
Daking Mic Pre One
3U Audio MKIV Warbler - (matched pair)
Rode K2
Sennheiser MD-441
Shure SM7b
Studio Projects C4 mkII (matched pair)
Avantone CR-14 (pair)
Sennheiser MD421
Sennheiser e602
Sennheiser e835
Shure SM57 (x2)
Shure SM58
Behringer ADA8000

igorb1

Post by igorb1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:08 am

Seriously, why I cant` install beta drivers? Why my system says they not digitally signed no matter what I do?

axemanchris

Post by axemanchris » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Beta drivers are almost never digitally signed. This involves a registration process with Microsoft, which is costly and time-consuming, and thus not worth it for drivers that are only in the beta stage. You should be able to install the driver anyway though by acknowledging that you know that the drivers are not digitally signed.

Chris
Cubase Pro 9.5
Steinberg MR816X
Steinberg The Grand 3 VSTi
SSL X-Logic Alpha Channel
Universal Audio UA-710
Daking Mic Pre One
3U Audio MKIV Warbler - (matched pair)
Rode K2
Sennheiser MD-441
Shure SM7b
Studio Projects C4 mkII (matched pair)
Avantone CR-14 (pair)
Sennheiser MD421
Sennheiser e602
Sennheiser e835
Shure SM57 (x2)
Shure SM58
Behringer ADA8000

skeltoid

Post by skeltoid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:15 pm

I am running the beta drivers now with skip initial settings and base iso set to auto.
MSI X99 GTX1070 Windows 10 64

I tried all the nvidia settings and it made my gtx1070 run over 20c more than normal so I set everything back to default including having Physx installed.

I noticed drop outs without latency mon spiking.
Remembered I have been running latency mon since new drivers.
Turned it off and no drop outs.
Started it again and drop outs within 5 mins.

This is the longest I have gone without it dropping out (over an hour)
I even maxed out my internet as well as my video card without problems.

Hippo

Post by Hippo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Latency mon always causes audio dropouts here, I think your supposed to use it as a diagnostic tool to find what could be causing problems before you started it rather than just leaving it on just in case.
20c more than normal is not that important its the actual maximum that is and with that card its 90C or more before any problems.
Hippo

flankp

Post by flankp » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:36 am

axemanchris wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:01 am
Hippo wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:38 pm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050?
See if that helps

Hippo
Thanks, Hippo! This worked for me. Things got a bit funky for me somewhere between updating my graphics drivers and updating to Pro 9.5.

In fact, I opened my browser and am typing this while playing a project and still not getting dropouts.

:-)

Chris
This seems like it helped me too. THANK YOU! I didn't get any errors for several minutes, and my DPC stayed under 70 with these settings 8-)

I am on the beta 2 driver, but left the Base Period and ISO Extra Buffer set to 'auto', and did not check 'skip Inital...' - basicially I left it all at the defaults, and 128 buffer size.

Fingers crossed it stays this way.
i7-6850k, Asus X99 AII, 32GB DDR4-2400, Nvidia Founders Edition 1070 (2460x1440 144Hz GSync), Steinberg UR22MKII interface, 500gb m.2 Samsung 960 & 1tb WD Gold 7200 RPM, Windows 10 Pro

robw

Post by robw » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:31 am

Tried out the 1.10 Beta 2 driver today. Working well for me. Even manages 16 buffer size for playback and some VSTi recording for a small project.
This with Cubase 9.5, Halion Sonic, Groove Agent SE, Kontakt and Pad Shop Pro all running. Not much but I was just testing.

Probably won't use that small a buffer normally as it loads up the CPU a lot and isn't necessary for me.
Settings in the Advance panel were all default Auto.
Cubase 9 | Steinberg UR44 | Korg Kronos X
Intel i7 3770 | Gigabyte MB Z77 | 16 Gigs RAM | NVIDIA GTX970
NI Komplete Ultimate 9 | Steinberg Pad Shop Pro, Halion Sonic 2

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”