For users of legacy Steinberg Nuendo software
Brandy

Re: 5.5.3.

Post by Brandy »

Is that Event-On-Top thing fixed?? I am talking about the fact that an underlapping event automatically will be on top of the following event when you move it with the mouse. This will mess with your editing when having overlapping takes (all the time in a real music scenario). It is not in the list, I wonder how someone can work in Nuendo without that fix?? Everyone is only editing voiceovers or what? I had high hopes for this fix to be included in the updated - mainly because of that I can not use latest Cubase and Nuendo versions.

Please tell me that this is fixed otherwise I will get mad!
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C9.5 - N6.5 - WL9 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001

Woodcrest Studio

Post by Woodcrest Studio »

Brandy wrote:Is that Event-On-Top thing fixed?? I am talking about the fact that an underlapping event automatically will be on top of the following event when you move it with the mouse. This will mess with your editing when having overlapping takes (all the time in a real music scenario). It is not in the list, I wonder how someone can work in Nuendo without that fix?? Everyone is only editing voiceovers or what? I had high hopes for this fix to be included in the updated - mainly because of that I can not use latest Cubase and Nuendo versions.

Please tell me that this is fixed otherwise I will get mad!

Why not install it and see? You would save me the trouble :mrgreen:

1/2 joking and 1/2 serious I'm being. I downloaded it but fear installing because it may make me keep Nuendo.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

YEA!

It is partially fixed.

If I have overlapping events and I move the lower one - it stays underneath. Even if it is a snippet from the same take (edited in an older version - Cubase 5)

If cut slices - for example 3 - and move the one in the middle - then it is on top on both sides. Makes this sence? ? Usually I would say that it needs to be on top on the beginning and below the following event in the end. Like scales.

Here are screenshots:

Starting Situation:
1.jpg
(336.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Moving the lower event - it stays below - GREAT! FINALY!
2.jpg
(389.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Now splitting for the slices:
3.jpg
(327.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Christoph Brandes | Iguana Studios | Freiburg/Germany | Facebook | C9.5 - N6.5 - WL9 and lots of stuff like that | still originally registered in deepest 2001

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Moving the slice in the middle - look at the right side of the selected event - it is on top now.
4.jpg
(315.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Steinberg - thanks for fixing it (partially) - but does that behavior (pic 4) make sence? I would say - no.

It would be great if this will be fixed as well. or is it just me who dislikes that behavior? It just makes no sence when doing those slip-editing things.. Usually I want to keep the "hit" which is usually in the beginning of the snippet behind the split - so this needs to stay on top.

ffg

Post by ffg »

Hi Brandy

Not sure from your posts if you're aware of the new 'button' located at the lower edge of the waveform display - the cursor turns to a hand - and that's how you now (5.5.3) put the clip 'on top'. There's a little red V when the clip is selected, but nothing visible when it's not selected. Clicking on the button is the same as using the new Comp tool.

Maybe you unknowingly clicked on that?

It would be cool if the Comp tool could be temporarily selected using a user-defined Pointer Tool modifier - I don't think it can, unless I'm missing something... that way, I could select/cut/trim/copy/move/place on top, all without changing from the Select tool.
best wishes

David

I'm going to to let the situation mature...

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
MacPro 3.3 6-core OSX 10.12
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

No, I have not clicked on something - I am just doing it like I do since the last 150 albums I made.

But I do not get the Comp-Tool stuff - in my case I have 20 tracks of drums, grouped - the new "delete overlaps" feature wich is selectable by clicking that red triangle just deletes the overlapps of the individual event. No need for this feature since we can do that since ages by "delete overlappes" from audiomenue.

What me bugs as well is - when working in lanes - that the comp tool or alt-click will split ALL events. ?? This makes no sence. I can fortunatelly avoid that by first selecting another event and then cut the not-selected one. Little bit nasty and one more step/click!

Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Lane editing is much better now. Mute means mute once again. I can see how the new options could be useful (just not for me yet). The only problem I am having is that when splitting a file with the split tool, all files in the track are split unless the file is de-selected. I really like the old behavior where only the file you held the tool over would be split. The option split everything would still there with the new tool and alt-x.

Dean
Win10|i7|16gig ram|Orion 32+ with Madiface USB|N10|PT10 HD|UAD Quad x2| UM-3EX|Midex 8|Mackie Control + 2 extenders|too many mics and preamps to list

ffg

Post by ffg »

Brandy wrote:No, I have not clicked on something - I am just doing it like I do since the last 150 albums I made.

But I do not get the Comp-Tool stuff - in my case I have 20 tracks of drums, grouped - the new "delete overlaps" feature wich is selectable by clicking that red triangle just deletes the overlapps of the individual event. No need for this feature since we can do that since ages by "delete overlappes" from audiomenue.
/click!
For me, clicking on the red V places the clip on top, as does the comp tool. It doesn't delete overlaps.
best wishes

David

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Where is the red V?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Check this:
Brandy wrote:
4.jpg
You mean this little triangle in the middle of the events? If I click there - then a popup menue comes up with some options where I can select events or delete overlaps. But it only applies for the one event - in my case I have 20 tracks of grouped events - 19 of them are not affected. So this only makes sence in single-track scenarios - which are usually quite rare, when not recording vocals or stuff. In 9 out of 10 situations you will have multitrack stuff.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

No, recent foto - older project, created in C5 - so events are grouped themself, folder-group-stuff is currently not enabled.

wavcatcher

Post by wavcatcher »

Does the Basehead issue affect Nuendo 5.5.3 on Mac Lion 10.7.3 as well?

Just curious if I should stick with 5.5.2 for now until its resolved.

Thanks
~Chris
Wavetrap
Sound Design | Audio Recording & Mixing
--------------------------------------------------------
Macbook Pro i7 17" 8GB RAM, and Macbook Pro Retina 15" 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD | RME UCX | Metric Halo 2882 2dexpanded | Kush GainTrain | Steinberg CC121 | Logic 9, Nuendo 6 + NEK, Wavelab 8, PT10.3.6, Reason 7, NI Komplete Ultimate 9. Omnisphere. GRM Tools, Waves, Izotope, Sonnox, + standard & esoteric plug ins. | Moog & Access Synths, Guitars and FX. Coffee and Motorbikes.

wavcatcher

Post by wavcatcher »

Actually got the answer via email from Steve at Bashead (seriously amazing customer support by the way- responded within an hour with my answer!)

The issue with Nuendo 5.5.3 only affects Basehead V3 which is PC only and hasn't been released for Mac yet- so I'll be ok with Nuendo 5.5.3.

Thought I'd post here to share the info...Cheers!
~Chris
Wavetrap
Sound Design | Audio Recording & Mixing
--------------------------------------------------------
Macbook Pro i7 17" 8GB RAM, and Macbook Pro Retina 15" 16GB Ram and 512GB SSD | RME UCX | Metric Halo 2882 2dexpanded | Kush GainTrain | Steinberg CC121 | Logic 9, Nuendo 6 + NEK, Wavelab 8, PT10.3.6, Reason 7, NI Komplete Ultimate 9. Omnisphere. GRM Tools, Waves, Izotope, Sonnox, + standard & esoteric plug ins. | Moog & Access Synths, Guitars and FX. Coffee and Motorbikes.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Bredo wrote:Try it the other way around.
Ungroup the events, engage the folder Edit Group feature. I'm pretty sure it work the way you want it to (selecting whatever on one track will affect the whole group).

I've sometime ago seen a Cubase 6 video of editing multitrack of drums and the function was shown. Select one of the red markers or right click and select Take X to top, and the other tracks followed.

Lokk here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoB-VVILKw

From about 4.25 there is what you ask for, if I got your (one of your) question right.
Hey Bredo,

well - I always forget that there is Youtube :-) THE resource where all kids of the world can learn what we had to found out by working 10 years in front of a DAW ;-) But beside that - I was not aware of these C6 videos! I will check them all!

Yea, maybe it is because my stuff are grouped the old way - that was part of my workflow to group the stuff directly after recording, when the events were still selected. Call it pre N5.5 style :-)

Thanks for your hints, I will check out today, I have a lot to edit, 3 album recordings ..

Brandy

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Wow - beside some issues with the new Lanes concept when having more complex scenarios than just some cycle mode takes (even with the newest, quite "ok" version) I was not aware that group editing added / fixed a lot of things which were bugging me since years. Without that video I would have never stepped over that because I just avoid doing it in certain ways because it was not working.

For example:

the on top thing via the pulldown menue with selecting a certain take. Before it only affected one event - useless when having 20 track-drums. So I was never really be able to have benefit from powerfull cycle mode options in multitrack scenarios.

Same with Lane style regarding mulitracks - Lanes were only usable in single track context. Well, I think a lot of edits are still not cool in multitrack style, but at least some kind of comping techniques can be done in new Lanes.

Only problem: I tried it yesterday with a full 7 minutes song which was made with about 150 drumtakes... I switched the kicktrack to lanes and then I had about 80 lanes because during the song a lot of overlaps happened and stuff, here I was not able to do any editing so I switched back to regular style.

Stuff like this was the weakest point in the 5.5 (cubase 6) enhancements - they look great in those "simple scenario" vidos "just click on it" - but when messing with hundrets of takes and working through complex, progressive songs with all kinds of multitrack stuff - not only drums are multitrack in a real situation - for example guitar - DI plus 3 mics ... acustic instruments... 2 close mics and a stereo room mic for example...

ChemistTree

Post by ChemistTree »

studiof wrote:Has anyone tried this with Reason 6.0? Not having any luck here. Just says I need to restart Reason.
Nuendo 5.5.3 64 bit
Reason 6 64 bit
Hi There,

First of all, have you got the Reason 6.2 update?

Second of all, have you disabled the "release driver in background" option in the devices menu (I had problems with rewire on m 32 bit system before an this cleared it up)

Cheers,

TCT

ffg

Post by ffg »

Brandy wrote:Wow - beside some issues with the new Lanes concept when having more complex scenarios than just some cycle mode takes (even with the newest, quite "ok" version) I was not aware that group editing added / fixed a lot of things which were bugging me since years. Without that video I would have never stepped over that because I just avoid doing it in certain ways because it was not working.

For example:

the on top thing via the pulldown menue with selecting a certain take. Before it only affected one event - useless when having 20 track-drums. So I was never really be able to have benefit from powerfull cycle mode options in multitrack scenarios.

Same with Lane style regarding mulitracks - Lanes were only usable in single track context. Well, I think a lot of edits are still not cool in multitrack style, but at least some kind of comping techniques can be done in new Lanes.

Only problem: I tried it yesterday with a full 7 minutes song which was made with about 150 drumtakes... I switched the kicktrack to lanes and then I had about 80 lanes because during the song a lot of overlaps happened and stuff, here I was not able to do any editing so I switched back to regular style.

Stuff like this was the weakest point in the 5.5 (cubase 6) enhancements - they look great in those "simple scenario" vidos "just click on it" - but when messing with hundrets of takes and working through complex, progressive songs with all kinds of multitrack stuff - not only drums are multitrack in a real situation - for example guitar - DI plus 3 mics ... acustic instruments... 2 close mics and a stereo room mic for example...
There's a lot to like about the latest (5.5.3) implementation of lanes and group editing. After the drawbacks in 5.5/Cubase 6 I feel I can work with it and get used to it. The main thing I would change now is the graphic representation of overlapping clips - the old way with a darker appearance for the overlap was MUCH better than the cross-hatching, which NOBODY seems to like...

I hear what you're saying about multiple tracks, multiple takes, high track counts... I guess in that situation it's always going to be fiddly to use in any DAW - the track sizes get tiny, screens are too small...
best wishes

David

Nuendo 10.3
Cubase 10.5
Macbook Pro OSX 10.14
RME Fireface 802
RME Fireface 800
Audient ID14

SteveTushar

Post by SteveTushar »

Hey guys!

I think we found and fixed the Nuendo + BaseHead 3.x PC crash tonight.

1. Do a "Check for updates" on the about screen in BaseHead to update to 3.2

2. Go to your install directory and you'll see a new SKI folder exists now with the new SKI components.
Move those to the proper places to replace your old one with Nuendo closed and you should be good.

If not, email me thru the contact form on our website

Cya!

Steve

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

So - after a while in N5.5.3 - It is a good update - feature wise - but full of bugs and malefunctions.

I am back to Cubase.

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve »

Brandy wrote:So - after a while in N5.5.3 - It is a good update - feature wise - but full of bugs and malefunctions.
Such as?

MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member

Post by MattiasNYC »

likelystory wrote:
Brandy wrote:So - after a while in N5.5.3 - It is a good update - feature wise - but full of bugs and malefunctions.
Such as?
There are six pages of issues in the version history document. You can start there I guess.
Nuendo 10.3 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 2004 build 19041.450 / Ryzen 1700 3.6GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Radeon VII / ASUS x370-A mobo ::::: RX Post Production Suite 4 / DaVinci Resolve

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Lydiot wrote:
likelystory wrote:
Such as?
There are six pages of issues in the version history document. You can start there I guess.
in addition you can read some of my recent posts - even when they are written not THAT polite... For me it might be fine if there are 1000 small issues - when I have workarounds, when these issues are affecting rarely-used-features... in the same time 1 or 2 bigger issues can be enough to render an application useless.

In the past: Nuendo 2 - clicking crossfades. What gives the best application on earth when every crossfade is generating a POPP..?

twelvetwelve

Post by twelvetwelve »

No software is perfect. I have had a look at some of the issues you've mentioned but I must have a different workflow/different method of using the software as I'm having trouble reproducing the issues.

If you're dealing with 1000s of events have you tried consolidating the files? The main DAWs I use all exhibit slowdown when dealing with 1000s of regions/events/clips.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

No, I don't see why I should consolidate - in the end maybe after backups - but while editing?

Return to “Older Nuendo versions”