Sends before Inserts?

For users of legacy Steinberg Nuendo software
DG

Re: Sends before Inserts?

Post by DG »

Dietz wrote:Hi Daryl,

maybe this is what you're looking for:

-> http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sendere ... subminimal

It's from 2004 and remained in beta-phase, obviously, but I remember that I used this plugin on several occasions before Nuendo got sidechains.

Kind regards,
I'd forgotten about that plug. I'm sure I used it as well, back in the dark Ages. I'll look into it. Ta.

DG
Nuendo 6.07
Intel Xeon 3.0GHz 10 Core 20 Threads
32GB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
nVidia GT 640 graphics card

JT3Jon

Post by JT3Jon »

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?
Cubase 9.5.41 OS10.12.6 MacPro 12-core 3.33Ghz, 64GB RAM, UA Apollo

infinite-e

Post by infinite-e »

The solution was posted by Rucareanu in 2012 but the OP didn't want to use it.
It consisted of using Inserts 7 or 8 and using PreFader Sends.

This ↓
DG wrote:
Rucareanu wrote: Strage... I asked a friend to do a test and he said that aux send is pre-insert 7&8 when pre-fader is on.
You are correct, but it means that the send has to be pre-fader, which I didn't want.

Carvin

Post by Carvin »

Lydiot wrote:Hmmm......

I don't think other Daw's do this either. I've never really thought about this really. I guess the problem would be if you'd want to send the signal pre- or post-fade. That'd be another decision that would have to be made in programming then....
Reaper has it..........again ;)

There you can choose between Pre-FX, Pre-Fader or Post-Fader :)
HOVER HATERS UNITE -- DOWN WITH HOVER
PCs | PC 1 - Win7 x64 - 16 GB RAM | PC 2 - Win8.1 x64 - 16 GB RAM | PC 3 - Win8.1 x64 - 8 GB RAM
SW | Cubase 6.5/8 - Nuendo 5.5 - Studio One 2.6 - Reaper 4.7 | Plugins - Probably too many
HW | Dynaudio - Focusrite - Universal Audio - TL-Audio - TC Electronics - PreSonus - Avid ++

Mattinay
Location: 3rd rock from the sun, turn left, 4 millionth on the right, key is under the mat.

Post by Mattinay »

Hi Carvin, correct me if I am wrong but I think from memory that Reaper's pre-send routing is also pre-fade (like a direct out on some analogue consoles). The OP needed a send that was post-fade but pre-insert (source signal sent to SPAT without the channel inserts). The other limitation for the OP with using a Direct Out is that there is also no gain control over the direct out like you get with a send.

One solution would be to use no inserts on the instrument channel, but use two send/returns - 1 return for the inserts and one (communal) return for SPAT. Hide the original instrument channel to remove it from view / controllers and you have the result the OP was looking for. You could do this in Nuendo as well. It would be a bit of a learning curve to efficiently manage views if you need to ride the send levels to the SPAT strip, but anyone who has mixed sessions with large track-counts will be well-used to show/hide channels so that would not be a real impediment. FWIW.
\m/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<snappy quote>
insert snappy quote </end snappy quote>

Carvin

Post by Carvin »

This is how it is in Reaper:

Pre-FX is before the Inserts (basically splits the input).
--Insert Here--
Pre-Fader is after the Insert, before fader (like Nuendo's Pre-send).
--Fader Here--
Post-Fader is after the Fader (like Nuendo's Post-send).
PCs | PC 1 - Win7 x64 - 16 GB RAM | PC 2 - Win8.1 x64 - 16 GB RAM | PC 3 - Win8.1 x64 - 8 GB RAM
SW | Cubase 6.5/8 - Nuendo 5.5 - Studio One 2.6 - Reaper 4.7 | Plugins - Probably too many
HW | Dynaudio - Focusrite - Universal Audio - TL-Audio - TC Electronics - PreSonus - Avid ++

Mattinay
Location: 3rd rock from the sun, turn left, 4 millionth on the right, key is under the mat.

Post by Mattinay »

Yeah - logical (and ubiquitous I think) - pre-insert will be pre-fade.
<snappy quote>
insert snappy quote </end snappy quote>

Carvin

Post by Carvin »

Mattinay wrote:Yeah - logical (and ubiquitous I think) - pre-insert will be pre-fade.
Of corse, but the question was to have the send prior to the inserts. Hence Reapers Pre-FX (pre Inserts).

Nuendo have only pre-fader and post-fader. NOT pre Inserts (only after).

Return to “Older Nuendo versions”