Stereo interleaved AAF import

For users of legacy Steinberg Nuendo software
AlexBell

Stereo interleaved AAF import

Post by AlexBell » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Something we've always wanted AVID to handle is stereo interleaved files, and now finally it seems it can. And also export them as AAF but it looks like Nuendo isn't prepered for this? Am i wrong or will this come in a later upgrade?

Thorsten Marx

Re: Stereo interleaved AAF import

Post by Thorsten Marx » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi Alex,
Nuendo 5.5 is does handle multichannel files from Avid.
Please be aware that Avid uses "custom" AAF structures to allow an embedded AAF to be created with 'multichannel' tracks. However, the embedded media on these tracks is mono. When these files are imported into Nuendo, 'Track 1' (which might have originally been a stereo track), will now be imported as two mono tracks (this is the same result if the AAF file is re-imported into Protools).
Once in Nuendo, you can use the "Convert Tracks" function to combine a mono pair into interleaved tracks.

If you are seeing additional problems, please let us know.

Thanks,
Thorsten
Thorsten Marx, Product Planning Manager Pro Audio
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

AlexBell

Post by AlexBell » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Thorsten, thanks for your reply.

From what I understand this is a new feature for AVID, what you're describing is the old way that I'm very used to but the editor called me up and said he now could export the sound as stereo and asked if Nuendo could recieve that. I said "I guess..." but when I did there were 4 and 5 events (mono) on top of each other and total caos. :?

The editor then did it once more "the old way" (only mono) and everything was fine.

I can check it out again with the editor on monday.

The Sound Post

Post by The Sound Post » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:26 am

I had the same experience the other day. The interleaved files messed up the sync of the whole project. The AAF actually contained stereo interleaved files that imported into Nuendo as interleaved. I'd never seen that before. Nevertheless, the end result was unusable. Luckily I have a copy of PT for these kinds of situations ;-)

Martijn.
Nuendo 7.1 OSX 10.12.6 MacPro 12-core 3.46 GHz 48GB ram Antelope Orion32 Slate Raven

skillet

Post by skillet » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Thorsten Marx wrote:this is the same result if the AAF file is re-imported into Protools
I know this is an old thread but FWIW Pro Tools 11 imports them as stereo tracks.

Thanks for the tip to convert to Multichannel that feature is missing in Cubase I had looked in the past for this. The unfortunate little missing details and they push it for music engineers and so much of Nuendo I would use on Music projects.
OSX Version 10.11.6 | Mac Pro (Late 2013) | Processor: 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 | Memory: 32 GB 1866 Mhz DDR3 ECC

Cubase 9.0.20 | Nuendo 7.1.30 + Expansion Kit | Pro Tools 12.8 | Logic 10.3 | Digital Performer 8.0.7 | Ableton Live 9.7

Audio Interface: Steinberg UR44 | MIDI Interface:MOTU MIDI Timepiece AV; MIDIMan 1x1 | MIDI Keyboard: M-Audio Venom Keyboard, Roland A-33; Kork Nano Key | Control Surface: MCU (Mackie Control Universal); Korg Nano Kontrol; PreSonus FaderPort; Shuttle Pro 2

Return to “Older Nuendo versions”