6.02 patch - crackles!

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Santuzzo

Re: 6.02 patch - crackles!

Post by Santuzzo »

Thanks Andi for your report.

Looks like 6.0.2 does have a serious bug then?

Would re complete Cubase 6 re-install be the only way to get back to 6.0.1 ?

I really can't believe they put out an update that actually makes things worse. Did Steinberger test this at all?
I hope they will release a fixed update very soon.

Chris Beuermann

Post by Chris Beuermann »

Hello,

no problems here. Cubase 6.0.2 (32 and 64-bit), Windows 7 64-bit and several sound cards.

1. Please be sure that you have installed the latest updates for your computer hardware and your operating system.
2. Please also be sure that stuff like automaticly overclocking and/or clocking down the system has been disabled. There is also an option in Cubase that you can enable, to be sure that your system is running with full power. You will find it in Cubase under Devices --> Device Setup --> VST AudioSystem. Here you can enable "Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme.

No other reports have reached us regarding this report.

Cheers,

Chris

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo »

Chris Beuermann wrote:Hello,

no problems here. Cubase 6.0.2 (32 and 64-bit), Windows 7 64-bit and several sound cards.

1. Please be sure that you have installed the latest updates for your computer hardware and your operating system.
2. Please also be sure that stuff like automaticly overclocking and/or clocking down the system has been disabled. There is also an option in Cubase that you can enable, to be sure that your system is running with full power. You will find it in Cubase under Devices --> Device Setup --> VST AudioSystem. Here you can enable "Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme.

No other reports have reached us regarding this report.

Cheers,

Chris
Thanks Chris,

In my case, Win7 has the latest updates, as does my audio interface, and I checked my power settings, and I switched them to the highest setting (full power, so to speak), still crackles. Before the update all was well, and now all of a sudden I get crackles! Sorry, but I can't help but believe there has to be something wrong with the update. I am not the only one experiencing this either.

I do hope you guys at Steinberg will do some serious investigation in this and see how this can be fixed. That is what I call customer service. With some companies it is good, with other it isn't.
Which group do you want to belong to?

Lars

Chris Beuermann

Hello Lars,

We have some more customers in the world. At the moment these are the only reports, so we need to pin down what this is causing on the report here (local problem).

With the 6.0.2 update there where no changes in certain important areas.

Cheers,

Chris

Btw, there is no need to put us against the wall this way. This is not the way we want to communicate here.

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo »

Chris Beuermann wrote:Hello Lars,

We have some more customers in the world. At the moment these are the only reports, so we need to pin down what this is causing on the report here (local problem).

With the 6.0.2 update there where no changes in certain important areas.

Cheers,

Chris

Btw, there is no need to put us against the wall this way. This is not the way we want to communicate here.
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your speedy reply, I appreciate it, and I am not used to speedy replies from Steinberger, but the happier it makes me to see that you can reply in a timely fashion.

I was not putting anybody against the wall, if you feel put against a wall, I apologize. All I was trying to say is that it is Steinberg who decides for themselves what kind of customer support you want to offer. It's not my choice, it's yours.

With regard to the issue: here are some customers (maybe a dozen, I did not count them) experiencing the same issue, and all you are suggesting is that these customers may have not checked their PC power settings? You are not leaving even the possibility open that maybe there could be something wrong with the update, maybe a bug, no, you are saying it is the customers making noob-ish user mistakes (such as using the wrong computer power settings, this was the 1st thing I checked!).
This to me is not good customer service, I 'm sorry. I have seen other software companies handling similar situation much more professionally. You could learn from them, it will be for your own good, your customers will be more loyal to Steinberg.
See, I love your software, I have been a big Cubase fan for many years, and I want this to work, I am on your side, and I hope you are on mine as well. I have been loyal to Steinberg and I do plan on keeping it this way, but customer support plays a big role in this for me.

I can understand if there are bugs, no biggie. If you guys would say, "ok, sorry, we may have a bug here, we don't know, but we will look into this and get back to you as soon as we found out more", that would earn my respect. That, in my opinion, would be a sign of good customer service.

I am self employed , I am dealing with customers, too so I have a little experience with this. As a business you can view customers that are criticizing you in two different ways: you can see them as an annoying customer or you can try to understand them and try to learn from their criticism. For my own little business I have found the latter to work much better, for me AND my customers.

Lars

Chris Beuermann

Hello Lars,

I have mix a band now, but you should now that the forum is not a support forum where we answer every support question. In your case I would recommend to contact the Steinberg support that is responsible in your country. That is a much directer way.

Cheers,

Chris

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

Chris Beuermann wrote:Hello Lars,

I have mix a band now, but you should now that the forum is not a support forum where we answer every support question. In your case I would recommend to contact the Steinberg support that is responsible in your country. That is a much directer way.

Cheers,

Chris
Mr. Beuermann -

With all due respect, I think much of the frustration you are perceiving here is because of the perception of very erratic performance and responsiveness of Steinberg support when they are contacted directly. This forum has many posts detailing unacknowledged communications to them. So when the moderators say, " ... In your case I would recommend to contact the Steinberg support that is responsible in your country. That is a much directer way ...", to many people that might be like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Along the lines of what Lars wrote, a good customer service company tends to say "How can I help", not "Sorry, not my job".

So I don't think much of the frustration is directed at you nice moderators personally. Perhaps a statement to the users on the forum like "... Steinberg understands there is a lot of frustration with local support, and they are looking into how to make it better..." would go a long way.

Respectfully -
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

fishtank

Post by fishtank »

I'm thinking there may be an issue with the 6.0.2 update as well. The very first project I opened after the update crackled on me a few times - and this happened pretty much immediately after the update. This was the first time I had problems with crackling as I had not ever experienced the problem at all since I installed C6 months ago - until the 6.0.2 update. This was a project with a fairly heavily loaded UAD-2, but a high buffer setting. I have not noticed the crackling since then, but I have experienced the the audio *skipping* a couple of times during tracking with a low buffer setting.

I'm a Nuendo user as well and have also had problems with the metronome screwing up. SB support couldn't duplicate the problem (neither can I), but there are many others reporting the problem as well. It is quite disconcerting that SB refuses to accept the possibility that there actually may be some problems under the hood and insists that it is always a problem with the users system. Just because something isn't easily reproducible does not mean that it is not a problem.

I have contacted support in the past to complain of several irritating and reproducible bugs - most of them have NOT been resolved and USA support says they have no information when/if they will ever be dealt with. What good did that do for me? So much for support helping out...

It was beginning to look like SB was turning over a new leaf and trying to do things right for a change...so much for that I guess.

Andi

Post by Andi »

Hi Chris - all checked as you suggest - Steinberg power scheme on and of, all drivers checked etc. All good pre .02, all crackling after .02.

Lars - It's already been addressed but yes, I'm pretty sure that Steinberg does in fact test this stuff, which is why Cubase does so much so well. OK, no-one actually knocked on my door and asked to test on my personal DAW but I can live with that. I'll report the issue to support but if there is any assistance that the mods can offer then it will be much appreciated.

Take care all

A.

Post by Guest »

It's a good idea to put our system specs in our signatures, maybe then Steinberg would be able to see a commonality, i.e. if the folks reporting stutters were all using multicore processors (4+) it might indicate a core-parking issue. Not sure whether Steiny's power scheme deals with that one?

Just a thought!

Early21

Post by Early21 »

I found the source of the problem. Any of my projects that are using the Multiband Compressor are exhibiting both of the problems I reported: 1) crackles where they didn't exist in 6.00, and 2) a delay in sound when monitoring (a guitar) through Cubase.

If I turn off the MBC, problems are gone.

I also added the MBC on the master bus to a couple of projects that did not exhibit the issues in 6.02, and it caused them to have both of these issues.

As I mentioned earlier, this is all at 64 samples. Windows 7 64-bit is up to date, and so are my firewire drivers (I did not install the very latest version of the MR816CSX drivers after reading about issues - just waiting for now).

I am going to go back to 6.00 now, and hope that Steinberg can duplicate the problem and come up with a fix.

And just for the record, the issues I mentioned here:
http://steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8102
with MBC also exist in 6.02; took a moment to test while it was still installed.

Still very happy with 6.00, but hope you can fix this problem with 6.02, since it fixed another MBC problem that I have also experienced.

Thanks.
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

Andi

Post by Andi »

Good one, I've found that all of the projects I tested have the multi-bad comp too but I'm not sure that the problem actually goes away (rather than is reduced) when I remove it/them. I may try re-installing 6.0.2 and substituting the Cubase plugin set.vst file from the earlier release and see what happens. Still stable at 6.0.1 here.

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo »

Thanks for your updates, guys.

One question: Is there another way of going back to 6.0.1 than un-installing completely and re-installing?
Also, I think on my CD/DVD it's version 6.0.0., is the 6.0.1 patch available still?

Thanks,
Lars

scradge

Post by scradge »

ok fellas,

I read somewhere inn this post that some of you are having a periodic crackle problem.

one thing to check is the core parking feature that windows 7 has, as it turns out windows 7 isnt very good at parking cores, (turning off cores that arnt being used) so every time it parks one you get a small latency jump or distortion.

This can be solved by telling the CPU not to park any cores. This is done in the registry, WARNING TO ALL the registry in windows tells the whole operating system how to work so BE CAREFUL, you can seriously screw up your OS or hamper performance by tampering in the wrong place...

First: open regedit, i.e. type regedit in the star menu search bar.
second: use the edit>find function to search for '0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583'
Third, look for the value 'MaxValue' and set it to 0, this will tell windows that 0% of the cores are parkable,

Youll have to find the key a few times depending on how many power profiles you have,

Also worth noting this is mainly useful on multicore CPU's, Although it didnt solve the latecy and crackle with low buffers, it did get rid of the distortion blips that i was getting on my Phenom II X6

Hope this helps at least a few people.

Scradge.
Why do all the Closed minded ones Open their mouths.

Early21

Post by Early21 »

scradge wrote:ok fellas,

I read somewhere inn this post that some of you are having a periodic crackle problem.

one thing to check is the core parking feature that windows 7 has, as it turns out windows 7 isnt very good at parking cores, (turning off cores that arnt being used) so every time it parks one you get a small latency jump or distortion.

This can be solved by telling the CPU not to park any cores. This is done in the registry, WARNING TO ALL the registry in windows tells the whole operating system how to work so BE CAREFUL, you can seriously screw up your OS or hamper performance by tampering in the wrong place...

First: open regedit, i.e. type regedit in the star menu search bar.
second: use the edit>find function to search for '0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583'
Third, look for the value 'MaxValue' and set it to 0, this will tell windows that 0% of the cores are parkable,

Youll have to find the key a few times depending on how many power profiles you have,

Also worth noting this is mainly useful on multicore CPU's, Although it didnt solve the latecy and crackle with low buffers, it did get rid of the distortion blips that i was getting on my Phenom II X6

Hope this helps at least a few people.

Scradge.
I would not mess with the registry directly. I think if you just go to the control panel/hardware and sound/power options/ and then select "high performance" it will also prevent core parking. At least mine never park. There is also an option within Cubase that we guess is doing the same thing. Go to "device setup", select "vst audio system", then check "activate Steinberg Audio Scheme". I say "we guess" because the help text points you to the Steinberg Knowledge Base, but so far, nobody has been able to find the article.

Also, a few posts back, I pinpointed the problem that was causing the specific crackling issue with 6.0.2 which caused me to start this thread, which is the Multiband Compressor. I hope Steinberg will issue a fix.
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

Andi

Post by Andi »

Just a quick update - I played-back some audio that I recorded in 6.0.2 with crackles and it's clean when played back in 6.0.1 which may hint that this is in fact a plug-in problem as suggested earlier. I'm going to reinstall .02 and swap the VST3 file and see what happens.

A.

Andi

Post by Andi »

Confirmed - load 6.0.2 with an older .vst3 file and no problem. :ugeek:

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo »

Andi wrote:Confirmed - load 6.0.2 with an older .vst3 file and no problem. :ugeek:
Hi Andi!

Thanks for all of this info.

I'm not sure, I completely understand, though.

What do you mean with older vst3 file?

Thanks,
Lars

Andi

Post by Andi »

Go to your Program Files folder (it will be Program Files (x86) for Cuabase 32 bit in a 64 bit version of Windows. Open the Steinberg folder, open the Cubase 6 folder, open the VST3 folder. There is a file called Cubase plug-in set.vst3. This is updated with each version of C6. 6.0.0 has a file dated 26 Nov 2010 (on my DVD), the 6.0.1 update has one dated 28 Feb 20111 and the 6.0.3 update has one dated 30 Mar 2011. My problem is with the 30 March dated file. Either of the older filders fixes the problem. If you have .0 or .1 installed, copy this file somewhere safe, do the update then replace the newer file.

Hope this helps someone else.

A.

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo »

Andi,

Thank you so much for this!

One more question: wouldn't this mean that the crackles are somehow only in effect when any of the Steinberg VST3 plug ins are used?
I'm asking, because in my case I did not use any of them, still I had the crackles.

Thanks,
Lars

HomePlayer

Post by HomePlayer »

Hello Early21 and Andi,
I guess both of you did a very good job and should get an incentive from Steinberg, because you did there work.

I found that you can also use the Cubase plug-in set.vst3 file from Cubase 5.5.3 (this worked at least for me).

Hope it helps someone else too

Now we can go back and make music.

The Homeplayer
Windows 10 Professional 64Bit (1909), GIGABYTE X299 UD4 Pro, Intel I7 7820x, 64 GByte RAM, Focusrite Saffire 40 + OctoPro, Steinberg UR22, PSR9000, Motif Rack ES with PLG100 XG and PLG150DX, Midisports8x8, Cubase Pro 10.5, Wavelab Pro 10, SpectralLayer Pro 6, ProTools 2020.05, Fabfilter, Hofa, BlueCat, Izotope, Waves and other Plugins

KDEF2004

Post by KDEF2004 »

Andi wrote:Go to your Program Files folder (it will be Program Files (x86) for Cuabase 32 bit in a 64 bit version of Windows. Open the Steinberg folder, open the Cubase 6 folder, open the VST3 folder. There is a file called Cubase plug-in set.vst3. This is updated with each version of C6. 6.0.0 has a file dated 26 Nov 2010 (on my DVD), the 6.0.1 update has one dated 28 Feb 20111 and the 6.0.3 update has one dated 30 Mar 2011. My problem is with the 30 March dated file. Either of the older filders fixes the problem. If you have .0 or .1 installed, copy this file somewhere safe, do the update then replace the newer file.

Hope this helps someone else.

A.
Good info +1
Lenovo IdeaPad 330, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Beringer UMC404HD, Cubase 10.5, Wavelab 10.0.10, Specttralayers 6, Pro, Reason 11 Suite,HSO 1.5 VSTI'S & FX'S

https://www.instagram.com/djkdef/

oneya

Post by oneya »

interesting. any osx solutions?
mac pro nehalem 15gb ram, cubase 5, cubase 6, pro tools 9, waves platinum, omisphere, trillian, kontakt, battery, 3xeuphonix mc mix, avalon 737sp, apogee, rode k2 mod, korg triton extreme, roland sh201, micro korg, akai mpc1000, ns10, mackie hr824 and bunch of unused stuff

Andi

Post by Andi »

oneya wrote:interesting. any osx solutions?
Sorry, don't have a Mac to check, but do a search in your system files for the .vst3 file and see how you go.

A

Early21

Post by Early21 »

I'm not sure I'm following this VST3 direction some of you have mentioned. I was also using other VST3 plugins, but it was only the Multiband Compressor that caused the two issues for me. Can anyone else who has experienced the problem also say confirm that they were using the MBC? I know they made fixes to the MBC for 6.0.2.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”