Page 1 of 3

why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 am
by Limit54
i like an update but honestly who wants to buy new upgrades every year. i was on 5 for like.a million years. now i.upgraded to 7.5 and that will be it.for a long time. i know steinberg needs to keep generating revenu but how about getting a stable version that is rock solid then on to the next. i dont have many issues with 7.5 but i have strange feeling that 8 will be out in a few months then 8.5.

just think its to fast.

thanks for a great product. love cubase.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:47 am
by curteye
Aloha L,

I hear ya!
(and on on Mac its the same scenario with the OS these days). Whew!

Back to Cubase.
I still have C5.5/C6.5 still running just fine on the same 'puter as C7.5.

My point is we don't HAVE to update/grade.
If you like what you got, just keep using it.

Then later on when you see something *new* that you might like or need,
jump in.
{'-'}

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:59 am
by -steve-
Limit54 wrote:i like an update but honestly who wants to buy new upgrades every year.
They release once per year. (That does not seem excessive.)

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 am
by suntower
Honestly, I thought this was one of those 'Onion' gag posts.

If the features I wanted were on offer, I'd consider an upgrade every 3 months.

And bug fixes? If they did patch Tuesday every month like MS, I'd be thrilled.

YMMV

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:00 am
by Patanjali
suntower wrote:Honestly, I thought this was one of those 'Onion' gag posts.

If the features I wanted were on offer, I'd consider an upgrade every 3 months.

And bug fixes? If they did patch Tuesday every month like MS, I'd be thrilled.

YMMV
However, there is a reason why enterprises don't get on the rapid update bandwagon: it costs too much to make sure existing stuff isn't going to be broken!

While not having the volume of existing stuff to check, it still takes us time to get our heads around new stuff, and there are always new bugs with new stuff, which can break our existing projects.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 pm
by Limit54
suntower wrote: If the features I wanted were on offer, I'd consider an upgrade every 3 months.

I have one mortgage I don't need another. I guess you have loads of cash. No disrespect but I hope you are making more than enough from audio that it can support your upgrade habit....if not I don't see the point.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 pm
by jaslan
Yeah. This is a strange one. :? There is no requirement to update. To not want SB to offer new features to those who might want them or need them simply because one doesn't want to have the CHOICE to upgrade every year seems odd. Just disconnect yourself from the concept that you have to have the latest version. Think of it like a car. New versions will come but you won't buy a new one until it makes sense to do so.
J.L.

why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:32 pm
by bluedog
Good point and a nice picture... But if my old car gets broken, someone might be able to repair it... Steinberg and the other companies just close the garage for the older models...

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm
by Limit54
bluedog wrote:Good point and a nice picture... But if my old car gets broken, someone might be able to repair it... Steinberg and the other companies just close the garage for the older models...
My point exactly. A lot of you misunderstand my post. Let me rephrase my self in another context(which is true as well)....so imagine you buy a new hardware synth and it has some bugs and features that don't work yet or are not fixed yet. now "caugh!" Waldorf makes a new version of the synth that's more powerful ect...now they don't support your old synth anymore because they are on to bigger and better( and the synth still doesn't have the fixes and features).....the new synth has all the new fixes that the old synth needed but hmmm you need to upgrade.

It's just jumping the gun before you make a solid product.

Look at access. They have basically 1 product but don't come up with new versions every year(yes synths and daws are very different) but the point is they try to make a solid product until the bigger and better comes around.

I'm not bashing steinberg they are great, I'm just thinking they are going to quick.

That is all I am saying.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:35 pm
by Buchanan
If you've got serious work, stick with the version that works. If new versions come out (that might break one's existing projects and make you learn new stuff etc.) best is to nail your wallet to the wall, read the reviews and bug reports from any users who have dared to buy early, assess what one NEEDS urgently and then make a decision to buy.
Remember the core purpose is to record and mix. Anything over that and you're looking at toys like pitch shifters and beat correction and stuff that's got preferences & features built in that OTHER people think is a good selling point /tool for a particular job but that might not suit everyone.
Of course my answer misses some point or other but so does software. A lot actually.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:40 pm
by Limit54
Buchanan wrote:If you've got serious work, stick with the version that works. If new versions come out (that might break one's existing projects and make you learn new stuff etc.) best is to nail your wallet to the wall, read the reviews and bug reports from any users who have dared to buy early, assess what one NEEDS urgently and then make a decision to buy.
Remember the core purpose is to record and mix. Anything over that and you're looking at toys like pitch shifters and beat correction and stuff that's got preferences & features built in that OTHER people think is a good selling point /tool for a particular job but that might not suit everyone.
Of course my answer misses some point or other but so does software. A lot actually.
I see your point and makes sense to.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:49 pm
by sycophant
jaslan wrote:There is no requirement to update.
If you want compatibility with the latest OS version, then there is a requirement to "upgrade" as opposed to update.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:57 pm
by Limit54
There is also hardware issues that pop up if you stay to old school. Even some plugins won't work because you need some updated drivers and crap.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:06 pm
by jaslan
sycophant wrote:
jaslan wrote:There is no requirement to update.
If you want compatibility with the latest OS version, then there is a requirement to "upgrade" as opposed to update.
That "requirement" was introduced by the user though. By CHOOSING to upgrade their OS, they created a "self-triggered" requirement to update Cubase. That older version of Cubase still works and, in theory, always will work on the OS that it supported.
J.L.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 pm
by curteye
Limit54 wrote:so imagine you buy a new hardware synth and it has some bugs and features that don't work yet or are not fixed yet.
Ahh! there is the rub; and an easy one to solve.......

'Doc it hurts when I do that'!
etc etc etc etc :)
{'-'}

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:50 pm
by iBM
The whole world is going to fast. Soon tripping in its/our own feet ;)

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 pm
by curteye
iBM wrote:The whole world is going to fast. Soon tripping in its/our own feet ;)
Aloha i,

That reads like the opening lines of a kool new song.
Quite 'poetic' in fact.

Nice!
{'-'}

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:13 am
by beerbong
I would not criticize getting new fixes, IMHO. :)

If you know much about software bug fixing is not a easy chore. Fixing one thing often breaks another, from what I hear.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:16 am
by curteye
beerbong wrote:If you know much about software bug fixing is not a easy chore. Fixing one thing often breaks another, from what I hear.
Found in a Steinberg C7 read me file:
“Developing software is an ongoing process that perpetually gets closer to perfection without ever achieving it”.
{'-'}

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:00 am
by Limit54
This is getting out of context. What I stated was why so many new versions not why so many new updates. Updates are great. Update the current version till it works 100% or close. Then go to the next one. Not do a couple of updates then on to the next.

That's all. They can update till they are blue in the face that's great.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:57 am
by jpgtr
Limit54 wrote:i know steinberg needs to keep generating revenu
There's yer clue. (Answered your own question)

8-)

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 am
by Limit54
jpgtr wrote:
Limit54 wrote:i know steinberg needs to keep generating revenu
There's yer clue. (Answered your own question)

8-)
That's the big obvious one...lol

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:47 am
by sycophant
jaslan wrote:
sycophant wrote:
jaslan wrote:There is no requirement to update.
If you want compatibility with the latest OS version, then there is a requirement to "upgrade" as opposed to update.
That "requirement" was introduced by the user though. By CHOOSING to upgrade their OS, they created a "self-triggered" requirement to update Cubase. That older version of Cubase still works and, in theory, always will work on the OS that it supported.
J.L.
Provided the updates were release in the knowledge of rollups, patches etc being available or solid implementation plans released as OS source.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 am
by sycophant
Limit54 wrote:This is getting out of context. What I stated was why so many new versions not why so many new updates. Updates are great. Update the current version till it works 100% or close. Then go to the next one. Not do a couple of updates then on to the next.

That's all. They can update till they are blue in the face that's great.
The reason is simple, new features require new development frameworks that are incompatible with old source.

Re: why so many new versions so fast

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:32 am
by Patanjali
jaslan wrote:That older version of Cubase still works and, in theory, always will work on the OS that it supported.
Really, the ONLY way to maintain compatibility with older projects is to keep the computer that it was done on exactly the same, including the eLicensor/iLoks, and their licenses frozen (do not update).

For the next project, build another computer, and buy the latest versions of software and new dongles for them.

Only works if you have rich clients and a spare warehouse though! :roll: :roll: :roll: