DON*T TIMESTRETCH MY AUDIO FOR GODS SAKE

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Lasso

Re: DON*T TIMESTRETCH MY AUDIO FOR GODS SAKE

Post by Lasso »

Henky wrote:
andyjh wrote:maybe you could state what an offending file format is, bit count, bit rate etc, and how you import them (I always drag files to the arrange window), I think more specific info is needed to find a solution.
That's what i would like to know also, but you still haven't told us the details...

In your first post you refer to it happening while you import a file to a "mastering session".
Are there any special conditions why you call it a mastering session?
What makes it different from a normal session?
The mastering session info is irellevant. I tested it with a new empty project with the same result. Only happens with certain files.
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

Henky

Post by Henky »

Lasso wrote:Only happens with certain files.
Which are?
Can you pinpoint something these files got in common?

andyjh

Post by andyjh »

Lasso wrote: The mastering session info is irellevant. I tested it with a new empty project with the same result. Only happens with certain files.
I still think you are overlooking where the root of the problem is, I doubt if it is anything to do with how the Cubase session is set, it is is the file format you are importing, yet at no point have you actually told us here what the file format is, this is most likely the problem. Cubase will automatically time stretch an ACID file for example, so it is reacting to a particular file format, just look at the format of the offending files, the problem will be there - not in Cubase.
Master: Windows 10 64-bit / i7 7820X / 32GB RAM / Dual Monitors / Steinberg UR824 / MOTU Midi Express 128
Slave: Windows 7 64-bit / i7 / 16Gb RAM / Dual monitors / Emu 1820m. Networked via VE Pro
Cubase Pro 10, Absolute 3 (Halion 6), Wavelab Pro 9.0, Dorico Pro 2.1.1
Equipment list: - more than I need : Plug in list:- definitely more than I need

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

andyjh wrote:
Lasso wrote: The mastering session info is irellevant. I tested it with a new empty project with the same result. Only happens with certain files.
I still think you are overlooking where the root of the problem is, I doubt if it is anything to do with how the Cubase session is set, it is is the file format you are importing, yet at no point have you actually told us here what the file format is, this is most likely the problem. Cubase will automatically time stretch an ACID file for example, so it is reacting to a particular file format, just look at the format of the offending files, the problem will be there - not in Cubase.
Yeah, it might very well be me overlooking something. THe ACID thing sounds like you're on to something. Which extension does ACID files have? Can they be regular wav files?
2015 MBP Retina @ 2,8 gHz, High Sierra, Cubase Pro 10, WaveLab Pro 9, UAD Apollo Twin, UAD Apollo Satellite Quad TB

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Have a look at this article, in particular the section headed Acid Files.

Acid files seem to be .wav but have extra info in the header pertaining to loop length, time signature, slice points and the base transposition key.

Could well be the route of your problem.

http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... l/323.html
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Split: I think you nailed it. Will check with the producer who sent me the track to verify!

Discoworx

Post by Discoworx »

Acid files bang in extra metadata as split mentioned,

when rendering in Acid, if the Timestretch settings in acid are incorrect (many users overlook this) it will print the File with default metadata, usually 120bpm, Key A..............

PITA.......but it is why youll get it with some files and not others.

I would also remove the data it stores in the file from mediabay, as it can use the data it collects to stretch your file.

Use the mediabay to tag correctly before importing your file into your project for more control of what Cubase will do to it when it lands on a track. :D
I7 3770 3.4 Ghz LGA1155 - GigaByte Z77X-DH3 Rev 1 M/B - 16Gb Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz - 128Gb OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 - GTX660 2Gb GFX - Silentium Brutus 410 - Thermaltake Smart 630

LeVzi

Post by LeVzi »

Acidised WAV's and REX files get sliced n stretched on import.

I always wanted to know if there was a way of importing both ACIDised Wav's and rex's just as audio files, minus all the timestretching and slicing.
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz , 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 1x1TB SSD, 1x1TB HDD 1x500gb HDD. Sapphire RX 560 4Gb Graphics, Audient ID 14 USB Interface, Alesis Q49 Keyboard. Cubase 10 Pro

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

I just had confirmation that the files were indeed ACID'ized.

How about a popup on import with a warning that the material will be strectched, as there is no way of telling?

Anyway - nothing's wrong with Cubase per se, it's just an annoying work flow thing and potentially can cause a lot of trouble!!!!

Conman

Post by Conman »

Now you know to tell any customers the filetypes you need to work in Cubase and let them do the conversions so you don't have to. ;) Or offer them a conversion service.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Lasso

Post by Lasso »

Conman wrote:Now you know to tell any customers the filetypes you need to work in Cubase and let them do the conversions so you don't have to. ;) Or offer them a conversion service.
Yeah, I'll definately add "NO ACID'IZED files" to my delivery specs:)

LeVzi

Post by LeVzi »

So do you need ACID and/or Recycle to alter these files back to normal wav's ? Or can you do it in another editor like SF ?
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz , 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 1x1TB SSD, 1x1TB HDD 1x500gb HDD. Sapphire RX 560 4Gb Graphics, Audient ID 14 USB Interface, Alesis Q49 Keyboard. Cubase 10 Pro

kevaquarian

Post by kevaquarian »

I just came across this problem too. I'm using Cubase Studio 4, and on that app, there's automatic warping of any imported Acid files. In the POOL there's a view option for "Straighten Up" (weird name?) if this is unchecked then the file is returned to normal.

Just thought I'd share this here for anybody searching Google for this annoying problem...

I'm only an occasional user of Cubase when I am working with clients who wish to work with it. Logic is my everyday DAW, so I thought I was being slow or unfamiliar or something. O do find it a little strange that this should be default behaviour without a popup telling the user what's being done....

Oh well - thanks to the contributors on this thread for their pointers that eventually steered me towards the solution.

Still can't find a way of turning if off BEFORE it gets applied though.

:)

Discoworx

Post by Discoworx »

Again, use mediabay to tag files before import, then you can tell it to either,timestretch or not, Pitchshift or not...etc., and you can also use it to remove/replace the metadata the file has stored in its header. :D #

Mediabay informs you of the data Cubase reads before import.
I7 3770 3.4 Ghz LGA1155 - GigaByte Z77X-DH3 Rev 1 M/B - 16Gb Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz - 128Gb OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 - GTX660 2Gb GFX - Silentium Brutus 410 - Thermaltake Smart 630

onomatope

Post by onomatope »

I just ran into the exact same problem..I understand it's the acidized Wav..I don't understand how to remedy. I can open mediabay but see no way how to turn the stretching off. Step to step explanation would be really helpful..

thanks
ok
CarillonCore3 12GB RAM Windows 7 32/64bit. Liquid Saffire 56, Octopre MKII. Powercore. Melodyne.

Discoworx

Post by Discoworx »

Cubase has a built in guess based on time for previewing loops that has no tempo information written into the file via MediaBay, .....and in that case it wont stretch your audio when importing..... it still will preview loops in sync before import,................ BUT if you understand that you have to enable the correct view within mediabay to see if there has been "physical" entry in the Tempo tag box...(you have the ability to display different tags/view configuration when you open Mediabay........(So if you cant see what your looking for, you havent made the correct selections/tags visible.

If you have your mediabay tags visible, you will probably have to dig into the Attributes/Dynamic tabs (right hand side of Media bay, again if the Tags panel is not appearing you have to enable viewing it by locating the small tab bottom left side of Mediabay....once you find that then your on your way.! :D

mediabay is extremely helpful once you spend time & get to grips with it.

Justus Hall

Post by Justus Hall »

Hello!

I don't know if your problem is solved yet but i think it has something to do with importing the audio file with the wrong sample rate?

I had the same issue with a sample pack who had a sample rate off 48.000khz, whilst my project was 41.000khz.
When importing, set convert to 41.000khz on import options window.

If you didn't solve this yet, hope this will help!!

Justus
Macbook Pro Quad Core i7, 16gb, SSD, RME UFX, V-synth XT, Elektron Analog Keys, Neumann TLM 103, Neumann KH 120a, Maschine, Novation SL MKII

registered

Post by registered »

This has happened to me, in Nuendo 3, not even in Cubase.
I was mastering some files from some "MIDI guys", and I thought, "Wow, these guys are wacky!
This is like speed speed metal!"
It turns out that the files were Acidized, and Nuendo knew it, but didn't know the BPM.
Anyway, the MIDI guys recognized and resolved the discrepancy before too much embarrassment ensued,
I set Nuendo to the right BPM, and everyone was happy.
I would say the onus should be on the original musicians to do this right, they're the ones who are manipulating space/time. Their best solution should be to mix down to a normal wav file and send that to you in the first place.
Earle Mankey
Win 10, i7 Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 (Thunderbolt), 24channels: UAD ApolloX (2) plus MOTU lightpipe, Cubase 10.5
MCI 24 track, AMEK Angela console

BustaBrowne

Post by BustaBrowne »

Hey yall! I have the same issue and my guitar player/engineer has his own rig and he is having the same porblem.
We've been using Cubase since SX and I have 6 he has 7. Since he has 7, no issues im this matter has not been
reported. I recently imported some files a client gave me. Regular wave session files same sample rate. When
those wav session files went in some where timestretch and some weren't. I also noticed the audiowarp sign and
music note was on each wav on all the session tracks. It went in slow motion a some tracks. I was about to lose my
mind because the client was there looking confused. We had to end the session because of this. I do wish a prompt
was put up before the files went in. There are prompts when you export because they ask you to convert or put
files on different tracks. My guitarist/engineer told me that I had to go into each wav file on the track to deactivate
the musical mode button. So I double click on a vocal track as if I was going into vari-audio. When it opened up lo
and behold I see a peach/orange color music note and there are also different algorithms to fit what type of track.
I turned off musical mode and it work. Alsi the slowing down junk was the big plugins being used too. All is not lost.
Cubase is a very good program and I love it more than ProTools. ProTools is good but it seems like you gotta update
and buy the right stuff to make it go smooth. ( my opinion....i sometimes have bad luck with PT)
Steinberg ....please continue to look at your forums because this will help you make the most power DAW in the industry....That's why you are User Friendly.
Whatz Dat Sound.....
.....BustaBrowne!!!!

flunki

Post by flunki »

You can do this in the pool en mass, just select all and de-check the musical mode box.
I have a lot of stuff..

BustaBrowne

Post by BustaBrowne »

Last night's session went well!! No problem exporting files. I made sure i checked the "convert files" box. The client was happy. Now i gotta figure out this buffer size problem with these plugins.
Whatz Dat Sound.....
.....BustaBrowne!!!!

PT26

Post by PT26 »

I am reviving this thread because the same thing happened to me. This problem causes a major disaster and there is no warning from the software. Here is a complete accounting of the issue:

An artist forwarded me all their tracks for mixing. I did not track the song, so the first time I ever heard the song was when I imported all the tracks into a Cubase project and listened back.

What I did not know is that the artist's software (Studio One) exported the .wav files with embedded tempo information. Cubase interpreted this to mean that these .wav files were ACID loops, which of course was not the case. As a result, Cubase automatically set these files to "musical" mode in the Pool, and then automatically time stretched them to align with whatever tempo I had on the transport bar, which of course, was purely arbitrary.

So I proceed to finish a complete mix of this song, including some extensive editing and time adjustments- without realizing all the tracks had been arbitrarily time stretched. I send the completed mix to the artist. The artist is shocked because the entire song has been sped up to a very fast tempo. Of course, I didn't know this, because I was not familiar with the song. I just thought that's how the song was recorded.

A situation like this is extremely embarrassing to the mix engineer, who looks like they have no idea what they are doing. Redoing the mix is also a complete nightmare, because all the tracks had been split and manually edited for various production reasons. So all these edits have to be manually traced back and redone.

You will also find that nowhere does the manual explicitly explain that the little "musical note symbol" means that the source wav file has been automatically imported in "musical mode." And the little "wave symbol" means that the track is not playing back at the same speed that it was recorded, but it has been automatically time-stretched. The meanings of these symbols are just not mentioned in the manual, that I can find.

In addition, there are no warnings from the software saying something like, "Would you like this imported wav file to be automatically set to musical mode and time-stretched to the project tempo?" A note like that would be EXTREMELY helpful and help prevent a total disaster like this situation. The software just time-stretches the audio automatically. You MUST remember, whenever importing ANY audio, to look and the Pool and confirm that Cubase has not erroneously mistaken the file as an ACID loop, by visually verifying that the "Musical Mode" box has not been checked next to the filename.

Of course this is frustrating, because I bet my life this issue will continue to be ignored by Steinberg (the original thread is 3 years old, so nothing has been done yet.) Anyway I hope this helps someone else who fell into the same trap.

MHSound

Post by MHSound »

+100 on this!!!

Why is there not an option to turn this off?!?! It really messed up a session that I had while mastering a project..

I really like Cubase (coming from DP) in that it's far more stable and I can get more horsepower out of it for large orchestral sessions, but damn.. it's assuming WAY too much for it to be a DAW for Professionals..

I get that they want to make things "easier" for people who just want to make songs.. but give us some options at least to turn off the "kid mode" stuff..

There are many other things that Cubase just assumes that really bug me.. too many to list.. but it's very frustrating..

Anyways, back to music..

~MH

Transistor

Post by Transistor »

Semi-bump: this is a real problem, but you don't notice it until you really notice it. I have been doing a lot of remixes the last couple of years, and this feature is the cause of a lot of frustration. Imported audio is automatically time stretched to fit whatever tempo the project is set to, which of course is the arbitrary clock of your starting template. If the tempos are just slightly off, you may not even notice it--before you've made a lot of edits etc. As others have said: don't mess with imported audio, _unless I ask you to_. In other words, this (time stretch on import) should be an option, and it should be OFF by default, regardless of the setup of the rest of the project (musical/linear time base etc).

On a side note: it does seem that audio originating from Live also has stretch-inducing metadata embedded, so beware.

r,
j,
i7-5820K/16384/Win10
CPro 10.5.12 / WLPro 10.0.20 / SpectralayersPro 6.0.2
Studio: RME HDSPe AES / Mytek 8x192 / Midex8 / (+ Aurora 8)
Mobile: CAI & WLElements [latest versions] / RME Babyface
Plugins. Hardware.

blackfen1x

Post by blackfen1x »

Yes, i just get a solve
open empty project
add an audio track
click ctrl+P for pool opening
click on import then when file selected and you get the window about convert or resolution check all 3 windows
then grab audio and drag on audio track in main window from pool window
FIN

Return to “Older Cubase versions”