REQUEST - Removal of 300bpm limit.

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
LeVzi

Re: REQUEST - Removal of 300bpm limit.

Post by LeVzi »

I am more than aware Cubase can play at higher speeds, but you need to understand how to set that. I know about notationally writing in quavers, semi quavers , demi semi quavers so on and so forth, I didn't know how to alter Cubase to work at faster speeds in a 4/4 (Style) pattern for the MIDI, 4/8 solves that, 4/12 if needed, and writing in 1/64ths in 4/8 takes things even quicker.

But having an unlocked bpm would stop the need for questions to be asked by others. But, I am happy myself now I have the answers that "I" needed, but still makes me question how viable Cubase is for others. And in 3 words, It Isn't. Ppl will probably stick to FL or Ableton or Logic, or even renoise.

Like people who opened Synths and altered the way they sounded, those who broke rules to create something new, just is an option. Up to Steinberg ppl now, and in future updates we shall see if this happens, or not, either way I can stick to Cubase now, and thats a relief in my book. I didn't want to go anywhere else as I am so used to it now, my brain would melt learning a tracker... Im not on 6 yet, bit sceptical of it at the moment, seems a big buggy, so will wait for update 1.

In the mean time, thanks to all those who helped or tried to help.

Here's a spanner in the works, why not alter the bpm speed according to the time signature. 4/8 150bpm=300bpm , put it in brackets after :lol: and leave the rest as it is :geek:
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz , 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 1x1TB SSD, 1x1TB HDD 1x500gb HDD. Sapphire RX 560 4Gb Graphics, Audient ID 14 USB Interface, Alesis Q49 Keyboard. Cubase 10 Pro

Post by Guest »

That's the point of JHPs' post so I believe.

I think you have to learn about the logical editor (for now) I'm afraid.

Personally I've never used it and since I am thinking about purchasing Artist, I'd not care if it were completely removed.

JHP

Post by JHP »

No No, LeVzi will not have to learn the logical editor per se to create what he desires to create.

To conclude this thread:
The feature request has been past through.
Cubase is capable of creating any genre and music.
I am showing in the example project that Cubase is, next to being a perfect tool for creating common genre compositions, also an ideal tool to create uncommon genre compositions as speedcore or slowcore. We just have to find a way to transfer our creativity to the sequencer.

The method I used for the example project was closely related to my second suggestion and it only involves basic editing. There is no logical editor skill needed to create speedcore in Cubase and it can easily be done with just basic editing. There is a lot of good advice from musical experts and experienced Cubase users in this thread.

The point that I wanted to make is that Cubase rocks.

Gr,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

Post by Guest »

JHP

Cubase might rock but does it rule.

That is the question I believe.

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

May I just put my "Devil's Advocate hat" on for a moment? :)...
I think that, from a creative point of view, it isn't so much a question of what Cubase is capable of doing, but more a question of what it inspires you to want to do.. Yes, we can, if we know in advance that this is what we want to do, create a very fast sequence out of 32nd notes, but, I can only imagine, the birth of this genre of music probably started with someone listening to a fairly ordinary rhythmic loop, then playing it back faster and faster, then saying to himself, "Hey that's rather cool! I wonder where else I can go with this?" If that is indeed the way it happened, then it couldn't possibly have happened using Cubase ;).
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

Post by Guest »

Yes vic your analysis is beyond doubt.

Clackett

Post by Clackett »

I have recently become aware of this particular failing in Cubase and note (with considerable dismay) that the posting dates were way back in 2011. It seems the issue has been taken away to be considered and yet, currently, there has been no fix to this bug.

Why do I refer to it as a bug. I have read the threads whereby clever people are explaining how to work around the problem using logical editor etc but with respect, this is not really a professional solution to the problem.

At the time of writing Cubase is 8.5 (and the 300 limit is still with us). Dorico will be the new typesetting flagship with will be introduced in Q4 of 2016. In Dorico (as with *all* typesetting programs) there is a time signature called cut-common (sometimes referred to 'a la breve'). It's only been around for a few hundred years so it might catch on with Steinberg. Sorry, about the sarcasm.

I am working on a piece whereby I need to program the piece and then import it (as a midi file) into Sibelius (my current score writing software). The piece is played in cut common but with the limit of 300bpm, I am unable to work properly (at an effective 340bpm at 4/4).

When Dorico is fully implemented with Cubase (maybe v3 -who knows) will we still get these lame excuses from Steinberg. I believe it is now time to address this issue once and for all.

For those who advocate a work around I'm sure you can change a car tyre with a bent spoon and blocks of wood but should this be considered and advocated (and indeed recommended) as a rational solution?

We'll see...

(no holding your breath...)

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

I don't understand- can you not set the time signature in Cubase to 2/2 with an MM of 170 to achieve this?
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Clackett

Post by Clackett »

Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion. It worked fine. :D

Regards

Dave

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Well, it's just how time signatures work in music. Glad to have taught you something. That'll be $5 please. You can just give it to the next needy person you see.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

Return to “Older Cubase versions”