How do I remove an expired trial licence.

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Svenne

How do I remove an expired trial licence.

Post by Svenne »

I have put this question to the Steinberg Support twice, but they haven't even bothered to answer. So, therefore, my last hope is that someone here can help.

How do I remove an expired Cubase 7 trial licence from the eLicenser Control Center? On the Help page, it is stated:
"To remove a license that you do not need and don’t want to remain on your eLicenser anymore, please click the respective license’s “Remove License” button (in the “Licenses” list).
An Internet connection is required to complete the process. Please follow the onscreen instructions."

I can't find any “Remove License” button, and “Remove License...” in the "Actions" menu is greyed-out.

I expect to receive my upgrade on Monday, and the last thing I need is an expired trial-licence screwing things up. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanx
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

HarrySound

Re: How do I remove an expired trial licence.

Post by HarrySound »

Shouldn't screw anything up. I've never deleted a licence and i'm on the latest version (full 7) upgraded multiple times from Artist 6

G-string

Post by G-string »

it shouldn't screw anything up , ive been wondering on how to remove old trial licenses that have expired from my elicencer as it's bloody annoying seeing the old red ones that you can't remove .
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b

bojc

Post by bojc »

Hehe .. G-String , I share the same frustration like yourself ... Hope some kind of solution appears someday... :)
PC i72600k I 16GB DDR3 RAM I WIN7 x64 I Cubase 7.5/7.06 I MR816X

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

Are the expired licenses on the USB dongle or on the Soft license? In my experience, the trials that go on the USB dongle, can be erased when they expire (Wavelab, for example). The trial licenses that go on the soft license can not be erased.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

colincolin1

Post by colincolin1 »

I need help on this too .. i would like to take out the trial eLicenser for cubase 8.5 pro

treetop327

Post by treetop327 »

Solved for me. You have to delete (or rename if you are chicken like me) this file: SeLicenser.sel

It is located in "C:\ProgramData\Syncrosoft\" on a windows machine

( the "ProgramData" - folder is a hidden system folder, make sure that you see it: Organize => Folder and Search Options => "View" Tab)

or here on a mac: /Library/Application Support/Syncrosoft Soft-eLicenser/

maggiau

Post by maggiau »

treetop327 wrote:Solved for me. You have to delete (or rename if you are chicken like me) this file: SeLicenser.sel

( the "ProgramData" - folder is a hidden system folder, make sure that you see it: Organize => Folder and Search Options => "View" Tab)

ah ah ah ... worked for me, and I am a chicken
thank you
A+lex

Svenne

Post by Svenne »

treetop327, are you aware that you probably have posted a way to crack (hack) eLicenser protected software, On the Steinberg forum, to boot.

If you can remove the demo license, what's to prevent you from installing a new demo licence and get a new demo-period (and keep doing so)? Isn't that the reason you can't "legaly" remove it in the first place?
Cubase Pro 8.5.20 + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 9.0.30, Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.11.6 (El Capitan), MR 816X, Avid Control/Mix, iPad Air (128GB), Cubasis 2.0, iTrack Dock.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- »

Svenne wrote:treetop327, are you aware that you probably have posted a way to crack (hack) eLicenser protected software, On the Steinberg forum, to boot.

If you can remove the demo license, what's to prevent you from installing a new demo licence and get a new demo-period (and keep doing so)? Isn't that the reason you can't "legaly" remove it in the first place?
This does not do anything like that at all. Rest assured, the elc is more sophisticated than that.

Also, this procedure is also outlined in a SB knowledgebase entry.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
[safe mode] [cubase manual] [score editor manual]

safenafe1

Post by safenafe1 »

Why is this so convoluted? Why cat this be as simple as removing it from the ELC action list? I wonder sometimes with Steinberg. A lot of there systems need simplifying. Especially when trying to re-download licenses on certain products you've had for sometime.

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

safenafe1 wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:17 pm
Why is this so convoluted? Why cat this be as simple as removing it from the ELC action list? I wonder sometimes with Steinberg. A lot of there systems need simplifying. Especially when trying to re-download licenses on certain products you've had for sometime.
same question here
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM
audio interface MOTU 828 MKII

pkmusic

Post by pkmusic »

I have this problem too. I deleted the Syncrosoft folder from Application Support and it made no change. Pretty average programming really. I would have thought that the process of trial/full purchase would be expected client behaviour.
Windows 10 x64 vs 1809 Build 17763.1039
Gigabyte Z390 UD
3.70 gigahertz Intel Core i7-8700K
32 MGb DDR4
Cubase 10.5.10 Build 120
Presonus RM16A via 1394

Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Me too, but in my case I was trying to activate a Dorico's educational license (1.0, I think) after trial expired (1.2). The trial is on my usb, and I can't erase it. End up having to install the new license on Soft-elicenser because it wouldn't install on USB. At least Dorico is working but I am not sure if I can move my license to dongle, or if i will have some issues in the future... Guess I don't get this Steinberg license thing at all..

markf-uk

Post by markf-uk »

treetop327 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 pm
Solved for me. You have to delete (or rename if you are chicken like me) this file: SeLicenser.sel

Thanks treetop327! ...for doing Steinberg's job!!

Your fix worked for me :-)

balinas

Post by balinas »

Old thread, but very current issue for me.

Recently I started getting error messages while running eLicenser maintenance on steps 3 and 6. Basically the error said " It appears this copy of soft-elicense was not generated on this computer. You must contact your software vendor to blah, blah, blah.' I just clicked 'Cancel' and Cubase 9.5 started without issue. Seems that there was an old expired soft-eLicense from a Cubase trial that I downloaded many years ago. I wasn't able to deleted the expired trial off of the eLicenser through the latest downloaded eLicenser utility app. But the solution above, simply renaming the 'SeLicenser.sel' file fixed the issue.

Now the maintenance runs completely through all steps without any error messages or hangups. And the correct current licenses show up and work correctly.

Many thanks to treetop327!
WIN 10 (1903), Intel i9 9900 5GHz, 32GB RAM, PreSonus Quantum2 through thunderbolt pcie, MCU-PRO, Yamaha Classic Motif 6, Focusrite Asa ONE, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20,

reberclark

Post by reberclark »

Thanks treetop327! Your solution works perfectly. I just renamed "SeLicencer.sel" to "OLD SeLicenser.sel" - worked like a charm!
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

Cubase Pro 10.5, Finale 25.5
A whole bunch of VSTs (East West, Spitfire, ProjectSam, ad infinitum...)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Dallon426

Post by Dallon426 »

Doesn't work anymore. It says file is protected in an object server.
Lenovo Legion y730
Cubase Elements 10.5

patmos

Post by patmos »

Where is this file on mac?
cant see it in library/Application support
Cubase Elements 9.5, iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macBook Pro 2018

reberclark

Post by reberclark »

This still works. I just did it (Windows 10 Pro, Cubase 10.0.20 Pro). Thanks again, treetop327!
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

Cubase Pro 10.5, Finale 25.5
A whole bunch of VSTs (East West, Spitfire, ProjectSam, ad infinitum...)

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

garyb2426

Post by garyb2426 »

Hi,

Can anyone help me remove an old Soft eLicencer from my eLicence control center? The Soft eLicence was a from a crack copy of Cubase, which was already on the my laptop when i bought it a few weeks ago. I have recently purchased Cubase Elements 10 and tried to activate the Soft Licence, but it won't activate because the old crack Soft eLicence is still on the system.
When i try to active my new Soft eLicence I get the error message "Upgrade failed. At least one of the eLicensers used during this process was disabled and cannot be used for any license transactions. Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue".
I understand that the Soft eLicence is bound to my computer hard drive, but is there a way of deleting it? I called the German Steinberg helpline, who told me i would have to change the OS, but i fell that is a little extreme.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

garyb2426 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:55 pm
Hi,

Can anyone help me remove an old Soft eLicencer from my eLicence control center? The Soft eLicence was a from a crack copy of Cubase, which was already on the my laptop when i bought it a few weeks ago. I have recently purchased Cubase Elements 10 and tried to activate the Soft Licence, but it won't activate because the old crack Soft eLicence is still on the system.
When i try to active my new Soft eLicence I get the error message "Upgrade failed. At least one of the eLicensers used during this process was disabled and cannot be used for any license transactions. Please contact your software vendor to solve this issue".
I understand that the Soft eLicence is bound to my computer hard drive, but is there a way of deleting it? I called the German Steinberg helpline, who told me i would have to change the OS, but i fell that is a little extreme.
Did you try the suggestion mentioned in the thread?

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.20, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

zvenx

Post by zvenx »

treetop327 wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Thank you. been looking for a solution for months.
rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

nordlead26

Post by nordlead26 »

delete_: SeLicenser.sel

WIN: C:\ProgramData\Syncrosoft\ SeLicenser.sel

MAC: Library/Application Support/Syncrosoft Soft-eLicenser/ SeLicenser.sel
Cubase Pro 9.5.50 x64
Windows 10 x 64bit
Intel Core i7 860
20 GB RAM
audio interface MOTU 828 MKII

Return to “Older Cubase versions”