Midi Import & Expression Maps Problem

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
InLight-Tone

Midi Import & Expression Maps Problem

Post by InLight-Tone »

I use other programs to generate midi sequences that contain keyswitches to trigger different articulations.

The problem I'm having is that when importing the midi through Media Bay to a track containing a sampled instrument with an expression map, Cubase doesn't pick up the keyswitch notes and instead imports the keyswitches as regular notes which I then have to erase and enter the keyswitch information manually.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there a workaround? Thanks for any help!

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Re: Midi Import & Expression Maps Problem

Post by vic_france »

You're doing nothing wrong.. that's just the way Cubase works (or doesn't :P ).
There is a workaround (as always, workarounds are cumbersome.. might be quicker to correct manually, like you are already doing). anyways..
You will need a MIDI Loop application on PC (or use the IAC Bus, on Mac)..
1) Import your MIDI File into Cubase, and route that MIDI track to the Loopback app (or IAC Bus).
2) Record-enable a 2nd MIDI track, with the Loopback return as its input, and put the Expression Map on that track.
3) Record the result.
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

InLight-Tone

Post by InLight-Tone »

Thanks for the reply, you've confirmed my suspicions!
Maybe I should make that a feature request, but probably many have no need for it...sigh.

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france »

InLight-Tone wrote:Thanks for the reply, you've confirmed my suspicions!
Maybe I should make that a feature request, but probably many have no need for it...sigh.
I can merely confirm that, if no-one does make that feature request.. it's never gonna happen! :)
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

DocMa

Post by DocMa »

Hi there! Is there in 2020 an easier workaround for this? I tried today to import MIDI from Dorico and had the same problem (long Midi-Notes instead of correct Expression Maps).

Cheers,
Matze!
Desktop: C9.01, Win7 64bit, RME Fireface UFX, UAD2-Quad, i7 Ivy-Bridge, 16GB RAM, SSD, NI Komplete 5+6, BFD2, Waves Gold, BFD, Addictive Drums, Fabfilter Pro-Q, WaveLab Elements
Desktop: C8.52 32bit, Win7 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett, Intel DP35DP, Core 2 Duo E6750, Intel SSD, 2x WD Raptor, 4GB Patriot RAM
Macbook: C9LE, MacBookPro (2015), 8GB RAM, OSX El Capitano, MOTU 828MKII
http://www.docmaklang.de

Return to “Older Cubase versions”